Friday, September 19, 2014

This is what I was creating in yesterday's art mess!

 If you saw my post yesterday, you saw pictures of my art desk and studio covered with creative goodness,from end to end!
 (I prefer not to refer to it as a mess!) heehee
 So today I share with you these mini works of art-that I created amidst that creative, artistic chaos!

These are mini art charms that I'll be sharing, in October, at 
             (here she jumps up and down with excitement!)


 Read along and I'll show you how i went from the collaged piece below to the art charms above!

First off I adhered all sorts of left over scrap pieces of previous art as well as papers of texture; coffee filters,netting,mulberry paper,tissue paper and handmade papers(these are the best for textures!) 
 I layered and glued everything down with Mod Podge.

Next I covered the whole sheet with a mix of  DecoArt Carbon Black and Golden Turquoise(Phalo) paint-and let that dry.
Then came the stencils with a thin coat of Golden Light molding paste . 

 The stencils I used here are Crafter's Workshop~Cubist  and  

Next I used Viva Inka Gold~Magenta to rub over the raised stencil areas, going back and forth buffing and adding more Inka- till I was happy with the color.

A little more color here and there using some Viva Precious Metal Effect Paint~Orange Yellow (gold)..rubbing on, rubbing off...
Next I added Ranger Patina~Verdigris with my finger to areas around the stencils,brushing lightly over some areas and little more intense in others. 

 These shots were taken out in the sun-maybe wasn't the best choice as the colors are not showing at their finest here-
I gave the whole piece one final coat of sealer and let it dry over night.
The next day, I trimmed up the sides and then cut strips off of the sheet and further cut into various size rectangles, making sure to get parts of the designs in each.
Each piece received a grommet and some embossing and some fine detailing...they are now just awaiting their final clips for hanging and maybe some beads.


            I am quite please with how they turned out!

I hope I have inspired you today ~  Now go and get creative with your stencils- and make your own mini art!!

   Jackie ")



Linking up with the challenge over at
 The Mirror Cracked
Anything goes-Mixed Media  #44




36 comments:

Win Dinn, Artist said...

Don't they look awesome, Jackie! Juicy, in fact.

Unknown said...

These are just fantastic! Love all the detail and depth and those teal colors.... YUM! Looking forward to trading with you at AIY!

Jo Murray said...

Great idea for 'shares'. I loved all the bits I came home with from the AIY in Australia.

Joseph Cuccurullo said...

Oh Jackie they look great love the colors and texture, you know I liked it when it was big.

Elly said...

Indeed, it looks very creative. Creating a garland came into my head as i saw the different pieces. Love what you did with scraps. Have a nice weekend, Jackie (:o)

Astrid Maclean said...

Brilliant Jackie, fab to see how you built up the pieces step by step. The end results are stunning!

Judy Shea said...

I love making art like this. Those textures are to die for and the colors you used. Yum. I am looking at something similar for my swaps. Can't wait to swap with you.

Renee said...

Wow, these turned out fabulous! Wonderful layers. Have fun at AIY, this will be a great share!

Karenliz Henderson said...

Those are so cool. I love them. I hope you post about her experience at Art is You! I'm so jealous.

Jeannette said...

This pieces are stunning jackie,love the gold patina effect,and the stenciling just amazing,great art work,i love so much,my lovely friend.
wish you a nice weekend,hope you feeling good.

Greetings Jeannette

Unknown said...

I love these little treasures Jackie! Looking forward to seeing what you do with them next.

Unknown said...

Lovely charms Jackie, I always love your color choice, all the combo looks great! Hope your hand is better my friend, have a great weekend! xoxo Ruth

Anonymous said...

Sweet charms. You are so inventive. xox

Bindu said...

Really lovely!I thought those were made of clay. What kind of sealer was used? Is it acrylic spray sealer?
I can't wait for my free day to play around....

Julie Lee said...

These are so beautiful, Jackie. I love the colour palette and all the shimmery goldness. This is such an inspiring way to use stencils. Love them! Julie Ann xxx

Bev said...

Well there's no stopping you gurlfren you sure outdid yourself the patterns turned out amazing and as for the colours well they rock too know they will be a hit at the Retreat just wish I were coming toooo boo hoooo lol

Cec said...

Love these charms with all their great texture. It was great to see the process from scraps to fabulous. Thanks for joining us at The Mirror Crack'd.
Hugs!
Cec

Darlene K Campbell said...

Ah yes, thinking how exciting it will be for you to trade charms with all the fabulous artists you get to meet! These turned out especially well...love to see your process and you always introduce me to products I've never heard of. These would look cute on a mini Christmas tree in your studio.

Janet Ghio said...

Those are really cool. I saw your post yesterday-wowza--I am one of those neat artist types--I have a small mess and I can tolerate it until a project is finished and then I have to clean it all up before I can start again.

Kay Wallace said...

Very artsy, Jackie! Love the charms, and can't wait to get my hands on one in Stamford! See you there, my friend!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Fantastic project, love the colours and the texture. It was great to see the stages in making too.
Thanks for joining in the challenge at The Mirror Crack'd.
Happy crafting, Angela x

froebelsternchen said...

just fantastic ! WOW!
Love what you did here Jackie!

Lula said...

This is an ave-mazing project Jackie. Thanks for sharing it with us at The Mirror Crack'd challenge.

Lin said...

What a fabulous project. I'm amazed at the courage of cutting up what was a gorgeous piece of art to make all those fabulous miniature works of art!

Thanks so much for joining in and supporting our first ever challenge.

Lin
The Mirror Crack'd

Tracey FK said...

I really liked seeing the steps you are going through to get to that end result... And they looked amazing in the light...xx

Debbie Bellibone Goodrow said...

Wow! Seeing that process was amazing! I'm going to my first AIY this year, and from New Haven, CT. Trying to come up with a swap idea that I can make in the precious little time I have between now and then!
Debbie G

yyam said...

Oh wow. These look amazing!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

These are awesome, and its was really fun to see how you made them!

Karla B said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous work!

Gaby Bee said...

These charms are gorgeous, Jackie. Love the color palette!

Karen McAlpine said...

From scraps to fantastic!! Wow. I am inspired to try this!! I have tons of scraps laying around. I do have Modge Podge too. Thanks for sharing the technique tutorial. Fab!!

Laura Spano said...

Hi Jackie! I stopped by after seeing your post on the AIY yahoo group. I love how they turned out- I could not tell from the picture how you made them. I was thinking of doing something similar - except that I was going to make a collage on paper, take it to the copy shop, and then wrap mini wooden charms pieces from Michael's- the ones that are about the same size as mini dominoes, and maybe add some glitter and sealer. I have made charms for trades before, and I end up with only 10 or so because the process is so long. This way I can make LOTS. Hope to see you. (p.s. sorry for the long comment- I was just so excited when I saw your creations) :)

vania said...

Very interesting project !
I like it
Thanks for joining us at The Mirror Crack'd
Vania

Unknown said...

wow.Your art tiles came out beautiful.Love the stencil and the wonderful and glorious jewel tones.I love making art tiles.Have been trying to make some with UTEE but couldn't finish due to the sad demise of my heat gun.:-(.Thanks for sharing the step by step.

PiaRom said...

Wow, they look awesome!! So 3-Dimensional and like metall..so cool!
♥ Conny
Piaroms Art Journaling

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Amazing! I really like these!