Friday, September 26, 2014

Mixed Media Pumpkin!

 Hi everyone- 
This is my last week on the design team over at Artistcellar and we were given one last new set of stencils to play with-
The stencils are designed by the paper cutting artist, Beatrice Coron and the name of her set is  Danse Macabre Series.
So for my last post, I used the stencil - Online - because it reminds me of my sons who are both in the computer field!


 We had a pretty good crop of pumpkins this year, with a few that never turned all the way- so I figured these needed a bit of makeup!


                         First thing was to add a layer of gesso

            Next I coated both with a layer of Titanium White paint
                  then decided to work on just this one for now...
Initially I thought I would stencil right onto the pumpkin, but found it was too difficult to wrap the stencil and get a good image



I used some vintage newspaper to add a wash of color, using both  Vermillion and Primary Yellow from the DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics line- and yes, I love these paints! my new favs! and no, I don't work for DecoArt-just love the products!

 Next I stenciled onto my newspaper-1968
(I use vintage newsprint, as it does not bleed the ink when you apply paint or even water to it!) just saying ")

So, I stenciled the image with Carbon Black using a makeup sponge, and yes, I forgot to photograph this part! 

 I really like the faintness of the washes showing through-almost eerily~ bwaaahahaaaa!
 
   After stenciling the black and that was dry,I detailed in some  bones,eyes and teeth and colored in the cap and ball.
   

  Next, I gooped, yes, I said gooped! up the backside of the newspaper and the pumpkin with Mod Podge, then molded the paper onto the pumpkin and gave another overall coat of sealer.  
I finished up by adhering crumpled orange tissue paper on all the other areas and gave the stem a bit of black paint.



                      There it is~my Mixed Media pumpkin!


Thanks for stopping in~I always love to read your comments~ makes my day! 
  Jackie ") 

~ footnote- I'll be out of commission next week as I am off to have my left hand surgery. I'll be back as son as i'm able!~

 

23 comments:

Joseph Cuccurullo said...

Thanks for showing all the steps looks great, get well soon you will be missed.

Win Dinn, Artist said...

What a hoot, Jackie! This has to be the most amusing jack-o-lantern I've seen, and definitely something that would not have occurred to me. Still giggling!

Judy Shea said...

That must have been to to play with. I love the eclectic-ness of it.

Unknown said...

What a fine pumpkin, loved that computer hero :-) by the way Jackie those pumpkins looked beautiful also without the paint, you know how much it costs such a green deco beauty here in the market... wooha would need to take a loan for such a size, hihi ;-)

Kay Wallace said...

This is pure genius--and a whole lot of fun, Jackie! I would never have even thought of stencils on anything but a flat surface, so you have given me all sort of new possibilities! Cool project!

Darlene K Campbell said...

Ruth is right about those green pumpkins...you can add a prettier price tag on those.
So yes, I am going to stencil a couple of pumpkins now and I want to run to Pat Catan's today and get that paint. And thanks for tip about using vintage newspaper vs new. "Media" must be a new line of Deco paints. I also chuckled when I saw that skeleton at the computer as it made me think we'll all die browsing around from site to site...lost in cyberspace forever. Or it reminded me how we need to have good posture (spine care) while sitting at the computer. Anyhoo, I'm rambling so I'll close with saying how much I enjoyed your Artist Cellar designs/art! You certainly put your unique creative scope on every project. I looked forward to Fridays wondering what surprises you had in store for us. Cheers to new art adventures for you. Blessings for extra fast recovery with your surgery! Hugs, Darlene

Unknown said...

Fun pumpkin Jackie! No Artist Cellar? Now what hope you. Hands heals well and your new adventure is jst as fun!
Hugs Marilou

Elly said...

I'll hold this great idea in mind for some pumpkins next year. Maybe i make some papermachè variantions.(:o)

froebelsternchen said...

WOW.. this is an AMAZING deco art!
Love it !
Happy weekend Jackie!

Jo Murray said...

How clever! Love these stencils...and what everyone is doing with them.

Bev said...

Fabulous post love the theme and it's always how I pictured they would find me wasted away at the computer so it gave me a good old laugh....so why your last gig with the design team...good luck with the surgery honey will be thinking of you .....
Hugz bev

denthe said...

Great idea to use it on a pumpkin! These stencils are great for Halloween. Hope your surgery goes well!

Nancy TeWinkel said...

Positively goopalicious! Fun idea!

Julie Lee said...

What a great idea! I'm sorry I'm a bit late commenting - all that birthday celebrating!!! I love your pumpkin idea! I know some people who might turn to skeletons they're on their computers so long!!! This would make such a great Halloween decoration and your own homegrown pumpkins - wow! I do hope the surgery goes well and that you are soon back to your old, lively creative self! You are going to be so missed, Jackie! xxxx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Jackie, this is brilliant! completely mad but brilliant.
Happy crafting, Angela x

Claudia N. said...

Hahah, LOVE your pumpkin and the stencil is really cool! What a great way to use it for your brilliant pumpkin make over!

Thank you so much for your lovely comments on my blog too! Mwah! X

Claudia x

Bindu Saju said...

Very creative pumpkin!!!

Claudia N. said...

Servus, Jacky,

and thank you so much for the lovely comments. I have added the "follow by email" option for you to the blog now. You will find it below my portrait in the left side bar ;)

Hugs,
Claudia x

Julia S-W said...

Love what you've done with this pumpkin Jackie! Much more fun than spending hours carving a very lopsided face as I did for my daughter for many years!
Thanks so much for your kind comment on my blog today too. Will follow you by email if I can find a link.
Julia xx

johanna said...

pretty cool pumpkin, Jackie! and i always love to see the steps of making!

Stamping With Bibiana said...

great artwork... getting ready for something?:)
hugs bibiana

Deann said...

I just adore this what a great idea...wonderful.

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

This is so unusual! Shame it's not going to last, but it must have been fun making it! Beats carving pumpkins at Halloween!