Thursday, April 16, 2015

Humming of the Wings- mixed media canvas

"Humming of the Wings"


The glorious return of spring has me greeting the birds and painting their beauty! Although I have not yet had any Hummers return, I created a canvas in their honor.
If you have time, I'll walk you through a few of my steps~join me ")

 Randomly spread white gesso on canvas-making sure to leave in various thickness.
 Color palette of choice!
 As above spread colors over dry gesso,using cards and scrapers

 While still wet, covered with plastic wrap and left till it was(well almost,so impatient)dry. teeheehee


 Technique Tip here~What I found was, the paint needed to be thicker, or at least more fluid to achieve really nice plastic wrap results-I think what I did was scraped it on too thin.
I'm still happy with my design results ")

Next phase was using my DecoArt Media Mister ~Primary Cyan on my glass block and watering it down.Then using a brush,applied it heavily to the top of the canvas and let it run a bit before knocking parts back with a baby wipe.
What a gorgeous color!!

 
 At the other end of the canvas, I did the same technique, this time with Media Fluid Acrylics ~Transparent YellowIronOxide&Quinachridone Burnt Orange and water.









Next was stenciling on the first Stencil1 layer of my Hummingbird. I used Mushroom paint for this and pounced lighter on the lower two birds,as I wanted a "ethereal" feeling .
My second layer of Stencil 1 Birds 3 pack-I used the detailed stencil and a mix of PhthaloTurquoise and Dioxazine Purple,heavier handed on the upper birds.

After that came some stamping along the bottom with a few additions to the flowers...



With my remaining paint, I used my fingers to spread the color on the edges of the canvas and called it done!

Products used as follows:
 DecoArt Paints-
Media Fluid Acrylics
Multi Surface Satin
Media Mister
Stamps:
Stampers Anonymous-Spring Sprung
KatzelKraft- Dandelion
Hero Arts-Elegant Weeds

 

Stencil 1 - Birds 3 Pack-2 Layers 
Our Partner of the month over at AlteredPages.com


Thanks so much for again joining me and I sure hope I have inspired you to create today!!

Jackie ")



Linking up with-
The Artistic Stamper-Flora and Fauna Challenge
Our Creative Corner-Color Your World Challenge




27 comments:

PaperOcotilloStudio said...

Jackie this canvas really shows the exuberant chaos of spring! I love hummingbirds and try to attract them to my yard with promises of sugar water. Great piece :)

Pilgrim said...

Jackie, this painting is just amazing. I really love your detailed instructions for this one, You are such a talented artist and teacher. Did you use deco art exclusively now? I find a lot of artists and teachers are using the brand more and more.

Thank you for sharing.

Kay Wallace said...

This is an amazing canvas, Jackie! Your subject is one of my very favorite birds to watch from my screened tent at the campground. We are just on the edge of the woods and in a perfect place to watch the humming birds! Here, your background is a wonderful harbinger of Spring, which is long overdue here in New England. Love your work, my friend!

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Beautiful canvas,an absolute stunner,so much detail :)
Thanks for joining us at MMW and good luck
Big hugs
Donna DT. Xxx

Win Dinn, Artist said...

This is just lovely - your hummers will come soon just to view it! Love the colours...

Anonymous said...

Hello Jackie! It is wonderful!! The birds are flying, I love blue birds, You know, and of course these.
Backround is very beautiful and it is nice You show how You made it.

And do You know what?? It is here :-DD I've got it today and I am just now posting Your cards to my blog. They are so amazing! I love them! Thank You so much :-)

froebelsternchen said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!
I adore this Jackie!

What a fantastic piece!
UNIQUE and BEAUTIFUL!
xxx
Susi

Karenliz Henderson said...

Jackie,
This is stunning. Its so pretty. I love it.

Valerie-Jael said...

BIG, HUGE WOW!! Love it! Hugs, Valerie

~*~Patty S said...

WOWEE absolutely gorgeous in every detail!
Hummingbirds are such magical creatures aren't they.
oxo

Edzellinni aka Linda Edkins Wyatt said...

Never would have guessed it was a stencil...so pretty. Cool trchnique with the plastic wrap over the paint

Julie Lee said...

How beautifully you have created these delightful little birds. I love the colour and texture on your canvas and the feeling of flight and movement you capture. xxx

Astrid Maclean said...

Absolutely stunning!! The background was amazing already but the effect on those hummers is incredible and the flowers just finish it off to perfection! A really stunning canvas!!

VickiRossArt said...

Very pretty, +Jackie P Neal! Very loose and Interesting.

Scrumplescrunch said...

Hello Jackie,
Wow, a great Bg, with great depth and I love the palette you have chosen...You must be so pleased with the result.
I have found that using Glad wrap to create texture is best worked on watercolours and left to dry over night, this is what I do...sorry patience is a must here. Acrylics will work and as you correctly state the consistency has to be very fluid.
Smiles:)
Sue

Bev said...

Oh love these humming birds you have made them come alive and I must have those stamps lol

Linda said...

How beautiful!

sarascloset said...

Beautiful canvas! Saw your thumbnail and had to move in for a closer look! So happy I did!

aimarii said...

Your hummingbirds love to fly in your canvas. And I enjoy to watch the flying of them. This work is very great.
Have you there still snow? I am little curious.

denthe said...

So wonderful to see all of your steps! I love the background with the watered-down paint, and how you made two of the birds less visible. I love working with plastic wrap, I never tried it after scraping paint on a canvas, but I can imagine that the effect will be less visible because the paint is much drier. I always use watered-down paint (not too much water!)and immediately put the plastic wrap on top. Even if you only leave it for a short while and take it off while still wet, you'll get gorgeous results...

Candy C said...

Really a cool canvas, Jackie and a great tutorial. I loved watching your creative process and watching as you experimented. Love your results!!!

Deborah Wainwright said...

Wow stunning canvass. I love the texture you have created on your fabulous background and your birds look wonderful. Thanks for playing along at MMW hugs Debs x

Laurie Moore said...

What a beautiful canvas! So full of Springtime. Your background is amazing and such wonderful colors. The birds look as though they could fly right off the canvas. Thank you for entering it in our challenge "Color Your World" at Our Creative Corner. xxx Cheers

www.deeadamsart.blogspot.co.uk said...

Jackie this is beautiful love the way you have built up the layers thank you so much for joining us at the artistic stamper. X

Trish Latimer said...

Great project! Thank you so much for playing along with the Colour Your World challenge at Our Creative Corner! xxx

Words and Pictures said...

What an explosion of springtime colour - I adore the hummingbirds, especially the "echo" pair - such a great effect. Thanks so much for playing along with us at The Artistic Stamper.
Alison xx

Robin said...

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing the process. It's so fun to see the creation from beginning to end. You did such a GREAT job!

I have lots and lots of hummingbirds. So many that I have three large feeders that I fill up every day. Glad the store down the street has inexpensive sugar!