Monday, August 10, 2015

Homage to the Honey Bee with DecoArt


 Welcome everyone! 

Bit O Honey for added effect-plus a favorite candy of mine!




Today I am sharing an upcycled piece that I have given a #secondchance to with DecoArt Americana Chalky Finish Paints.

Next you will find my tutorial with lots of photos and supply list. 
So, grab a cuppa and have a read!

Products used:
Americana Decor Chalky Finishes:
Heritage
Delicate
Inheritance
Timeless
Rustic
Americana Multi Purpose Seal
Americana Glazing Medium
Americana Deco-Page
DecoArt Media Modeling Paste


  • Find old corner cabinet on roadside


  • Put new wood on top
  • Fill in nail holes and sand down
  • Paint overall piece with White paint
  • "Whitewash" back panels inside cupboard
(By this I mean to thin down your white paint with water and give a thin coat to the insides,allowing some of the wood to show through)

  • Paint shelves and trim with Heritage


  •  Mix Modeling Paste with Heritage and Inheritance
 
  •  Spread colored modeling paste through beehive or chicken wire stencil on front boards


  • When modeling paste is dry, mix a small amount of Inheritance and Delicate with water and add a small amount of Glazing medium
  • Brush this over stenciled area, wiping back in areas till you achieve your desired look.

   
  • Stencil Brocade stencil inside using mix of  Delicate,Inheritance,Timeless and Rustic

























 Cut and adhere Bee graphics using Deco Pauge








  • Apply Multi Purpose Sealer to cupboard graphics and sides





  • Stand back and admire your finished piece!



DecoArt is sponsoring a second Chances contest where you can showcase a refinished,refurbished,Upcycled,recycled or give a tired piece a Second Chance! 

Check out the link for further details



#chalkyfinish #secondchances




Thanks so much for joining me today!

Hey, if you are not a follower already, why not sign on now so you don't ever miss a post?! 

And to my already followers-thanks so much for always stopping in and leaving such kind and generous comments! You Rock!

Hope I have inspired you to create something today! 
 Jackie ")





















27 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gracious sakes alive Jackie - heheheheheh - this is INCREDIBLE. Wow. wow. wow. You are just sooooo creative - seriously you hit this one out of the park....or should I say... you hit this one well over the hive!!! What a FABULOUS honey bee home. I want one just like it with roosters!!!! What a SUPER SUPER SUPER FINE project with so many great DecoArt products. j

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Jackie, love to see recycled projects. It is my belief that the bins and dumps must be half empty now Lol! as we crafters cannot throw anything away!
Love it Jackie. Have a great week, Angela x

PaperOcotilloStudio said...

LOVE your bee inspired project Jackie 😀

Valerie-Jael said...

This is a fabulous makeover and a totally gorgeous piece of furniture now, big WOW!!!! Really well done, you clever gal! Hugs, Valerie

Mónica Zúñiga said...

Beautiful Jackie, so wonderful to see your creations! ;)
Moni.

www.deeadamsart.blogspot.co.uk said...

A brilliant piece! well done for seeing the potential in road side junk I love to see what you create with your finds. x

Edzellinni aka Linda Edkins Wyatt said...

Charming and delicious looking!

Nancy TeWinkel said...

Such excellent work. The corner cabinet was a find, but you turned it into a treasure!

Unknown said...

Such a lovely repurposed piece Jackie! Great colors and they work so well together with the Bee motif :-)!
Hugs to you!

Tristan Robin said...

What an amazing transformation - from roadside junk to French Provencale corner storage!
Love the colors and the honey bee theme - so timeless - and French! LOL Nice work!

Bev said...

Jackie you are talent with a capital T my friend this is just amazing ,thanks for sharing ....

Candy C said...

Jackie....this is absolutely ADORABLE! What a great new life you have given to this piece of discarded furniture! It's just amazing! I can just feel that little corner cabinet saying "thank you!". You did a fantastic job on it, Jackie and I'm so happy that you shared your process with all of us. Your end result is just as you said....standing back and admiring your beautiful new piece of furniture! LOVE IT!

Darlene K Campbell said...

This is certainly a "Jackie One of a Kind." Love that you found the piece at the road side. I bet the owners wish they had it back now. This truly showcases your talents.

Astrid Maclean said...

Fantastic make over Jackie, and what a super find! Love the transformation you have achieved and it makes the perfect setting for your vintage ladies, triptych! Love the bee theme and such great colours!

Pamellia said...

Wow Jackie, what an amazing transformation! I just love the gold and those bees are so amazing! The damask elements are very regal and elegant, like it came straight from an old castle! Love it! hugs :)

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

My roadside never has good scores like this! And Bit of Honey was never my favorite in the Trick or Treat bucket, but your honey of a project is wonderful! LOVE the stenciling, and love the ladies inside! Grand job!

Julie Lee said...

Wow! What a transformation you worked on that roadside find! I love it! The colours are so warm and the honey bee theme is one of my favourites! I just love bees. I can almost hear their comforting, summery buzz so reminiscent of lazy summer days. I really admire your ability to create something beautiful from what others throw away. xx

Annette said...

Hi my dear, I do believe you did the Bees well on this piece. You worked hard on it and it shows. A piece of art I hope you are displaying it in a great place. Way to go girlfriend oxxooxo

sarascloset said...

Girl you are THE Dumpsta' Diva! Ha! Ha! Some of my favorite treasures have been curbside finds! Well done on the bee-u-tiful piece of fine furniture. wow! This must have taken forever to get all that stenciling and texture pasting done! Not to mention the painted shelves and whitewashing! What a treasure you have here! PS I'm saving all my Bit-O-Honeys from my treat bag for you this Halloween! Tee Hee! Hugs!

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful project! Love the stenciled detail! What an amazing transformation!

Unknown said...

What a great project Jackie!
I wanted to let you know, I've been given a Liebster award, and have decided to give one to you now, as well! http://thefarpavilion.com/2015/08/12/the-liebster-award-ive-been-given-one/ thanks for all your support!

Win Dinn, Artist said...

Just playing catch-up to find this wonderful piece, Jackie - you've outdone yourself. Love the honeycomb effect and the all-over cohesion in this piece. Beautifully done!

denthe said...

wish I'd find a cornercabinet at the roadside ;-) You made something wonderful out of it Jackie! Love seeing all the different steps, and those bees are so real!

Ana K. said...

Jackie this is fantastic make over! I also love your previous mixed media projects...your art is always very creative...I am sorry to not have more free time to visit you more often!
Hugs from Slovenia

froebelsternchen said...

What a wonderful makeover Jackie! WOW! Looks great!

Words and Pictures said...

What an extraordinary makeover - you've created a stunning honeybee homage out of that ugly old shelf unit. I love the baroque stencilling on the back walls, and the golden honeycomb texture on the front. Fantastic work with the bee transfers too - it really is fabulous, Jackie!
Alison xx

LisaS said...

The corner cabinet and the bee details are adorable! And your vegetable stand is pretty amazing too. Thanks for your comments over at my site. Waving to you from the west coast.
I notice you have a Community Thrive button. I too am part of this group and met Pia over there. ~Lisa