Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Incense & Sage Shrine for Gwen's Artist Tribe

  Today I would like to share with you my first Gwen Lafleur's Artist Tribe project.

I have to tell you,working with Gwen's products is
both heavenly and mind boggling!
 I say this because as I set about to do my piece,my brain starts saying..."OOOhhh! You could do this with that paper,and woaoooh! wouldn't that ribbon look gorgeous used like this?and on and on" heehee
 mind boggling~lucky I keep pen and paper close by to take brain notes! LOL
 Starting out with two pieces from my stash,I went about re-making these into something beautiful as well as useful. 
The front of this domino box slides open,so I figured this would be a perfect place to keep my new sage bundles and small incense cones.

There were already three small screw tips at the bottom of the house piece,so after adding holes in the domino box in the same place,these would be attached together later using E6000 glue.
Each part received a coat of black gesso.
Most of the pieces used in this project came from Gwen's Enchanting Elephants Collage & Embellishments Pack.

After having glued a sheet of Gwen's hand printed paper from the same pack,onto the house,next,centering Gwen's Art Deco Flower Medallion Stencil,I scraped modeling paste through and set aside to dry.
 
 



Once the modeling paste was dry,I drybrushed Silks~Solar Gold & Stargazer onto the medallion till the look I wanted was achieved.


It is at this point I went all out and totally forgot about more step by step photos! oops So,going from memory,here's what happened next...

After the bottom box was dry,I added a piece of sari with a bead to the end as a pull. This was done with my mini stapler. 
Next,covering the front slide of the box with Tacky glue,I adhered that Gorgeous piece of Black and Gold elephant trim!! Is that trim not stunning???
This trim and the beads below,all came from the Enchanting Elephant pack~
just have to tell you,this pack is filled with exquisite pieces!








 













 From there I went on to cover the roof the sides as well as the back with papers from Gwen's Essentials Florentine Paper Samples Pack.
 I edged these with a bit of Quinachridone Gold,using my finger.
Then,I attached the two pieces together and set to dry.

 

 While drying I played around with the beads and charms and put together center hanging piece.
Here I used the beads from the Enchanting Elephants pack, and the Irresistible Bronze Hamsa Charm . The center piece is from the Going Global Turkmen Jewelry Parts. I strung these together with fine wire and glued on with E600 as well as with a tiny brad.

 For the roof line,I used pieces of leftover bead trim which was small enough and the perfect size for the front.
This was also dry-brushed with Silks Stargazer.
 Here on the back, after fussy cutting two Lotus' from Gwen's Lovely Lotus Collage digital sheet, I applied these with Decou-Page,as well as this sweet hand stamped elephant piece that was also in my Enchanting Elephants Pack.
Below these I added a strip of Blue Square Tiles washi tape 
Felling like there was something missing again,I used the Art Deco Flower Medallion. This time I used embossing ink with a sponge and covered it with embossing powder from Emerald Creek's~Winter's Mistake,also adding a bit of the same to the top edges of the roof trim.  Beautiful!!
Gwen carries a wide variety of Emerald Creek Embossing powders

 Up next,were the addition of these mosaic tiles to the back base,these were secured with E6000.

To give a more finished look,I added embossing ink and Emerald Creek's~Charred Gold embossing powder between the tiles and around the edges of the back of the shrine.








My Buddha treasure I have had for some time was added last,finding the perfect place to rest.

Well, if you have made it to here,phew-right?! teehee
 I certainly hope you leave inspired today by both project and by all of the beautiful global mixed media supplies and kits available at Gwen Lafleur's Online Store

Follow Gwen's Artist Tribe

As always, I thank you so much for your visits and comments~
you always make my heart smile! 
Jackie





Links to other products used:
Emerald Creek Allure Embossing Powders~
Winter's Mistake
Charred Gold
ColourArte Silks~
Stargazer,Solar Gold

37 comments:

Jill McDowell said...

Jackie I just love your project. So many beautiful details. I know what you mean when you say that working with Gwen's things is mind boggling? My brain goes into overdrive thinking about all of the possibilities. And I never would have thought to use her pieces like you did! , Now that is mind boggling! I can't wait to see what else you have in store for us.

froebelsternchen said...

This house is totally amazing Jackie! This Indian feel to it makes it so exotic and the base made with the domino box is so very clever!
You never cease to amaze me with your ideas and your implementations!
Great!
Thanks for the link to Gwen's Artist tribe - seems to be very interesting there!

oxo Susi
Wishing you a very happy and creative September!

sirkkis said...

Your artwork is just gorgeous, Jackie.
Love all the wonderful elements and embellishments you used so beautifully.
Have a happy, inspiring September xx

ArtyDiva said...

Wow Jackie! I couldn't wait to see this. Your creativity is simply amazing! I love all the beautiful textures and how you used Gwen's fab products. xox

Valerie-Jael said...

Your shrine is wonderful Jackie, very exotic, and great that you can store things in it, too. The addition of the hamsa was a nice touch. Glad you had fun making it! Hugs, Valerie

Tristan Robin said...

Just marvelous. So many little details and special touches that add up to one unified beautiful piece. What a wonderful centerpiece for a small altar! I have to go check out her offerings! Thanks for sharing!

Rose Tresures said...

just lovely!!! I really love the colors and how recreated the 2 pieces into a completely new and different piece. so hapy to see this today!!! hugs, patty

Unknown said...

Truly gorgeous Jackie! Love every fabulous detail!!

SandeeNC said...

LOVE! and had such a giggle at "brain notes", will need to remember that one! lol

Karenliz Henderson said...

WOW it's amazing Jackie. It's gorgeous. Love the colors, textures and those elephants. It's perfect!

Dorthe said...

It is absolutely stunning, dear Jackie, I am in love with this house, the beautiful stenciled front ,the papers, all goes so beautifully together, and the elephant string is sweet and perfect there.Must have been so fun, to create , -and then you can even save things inside .
Hugs to you, dear friend.
Dorthe, Xxx

Julie Lee said...

Jackie this is such a brilliant project! I love how authentically Indian it looks right down to the last detail! It was an absolute feast for the eyes. The colour and textures were perfect. What an asset you are going to be to this design team. I just love everything about this superb project! xx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Oh Jackie this is gorgeous. The whole thing is just perfection you clever thing! They are going to be so pleased they have you on the team my friend! Sending big hugs, Angela xXx

Gwen Lafleur said...

This is awesome Jackie! I love how you assembled the different pieces together to come up with this, and the way you used all the bits and pieces to decorate it is fabulous! Such a great idea!

Edzellinni aka Linda Edkins Wyatt said...

Beyond awesome! Can you mail it to me for my birthday present? Lol. One of my favorites EVER!

Pam Wildeboer said...

Jackie!! I am so excited to see this beautiful piece you put together with some of the pieces from the gorgeous stash I saw from Gwen! Making it all into an incense storage item is just perfect...where do you come up with all these great ideas?!?! I love everything about this...the colors, the use of texture paste (one of my faves) the fussy cut flowers, gorgeous papers, the Buddha and the strung beads in the front! Great assemblage with the use of the domino box! You rock :) Love and hugs to you Lovie girl xoxox

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous project Jackie, wonderful attention to detail. I adore the elephants and colourway. Tracy x

sarascloset said...

Wow, Jackie, you really got your art on with this amazing project! I love the turquoise and that medallion stenciling and your silks coloring on it! Amazing details! I LOVE those elephants! Sending you big hugs!

Brenda Brown said...

This is super delightful Jackie, a wonderful transformation of those pieces you found which has resulted in a beautiful shrine and keepsake, love it xxx

PaperOcotilloStudio said...

I love your new sage bundle storage box 😊 Great up-cycling Those papers and embellishments from Her store are just luscious!

Seth said...

This is spectacular Jackie.

Lynda Shoup said...

Jackie, My mind is blown! Completely and utterly. This is an absolutely brilliant use of all of the materials! I know what you mean when you say that working with the materials from Gwen's shop is mind boggling. I look at one piece and think of 12 different things I want to do with it. Your idea of keeping a notebook for ideas is an excellent one. I think I will adopt your idea as I am having trouble remembering it all. This piece is so full of marvelous details and you have tied some pretty varied materials together to look so unified. I am in awe.

Win Dinn, Artist said...

What a stunning piece, Jackie...love all that glorious texture and colour. I'm just drooling, once again! xo

denthe said...

Wow Jackie, amazing work! Can't believe how many steps you take to get these awesome results! You are so creative! I just bought a hamsa charm like that when I was on holidays in Portugal :-) And I'm in love with your little buddha. It is indeed the perfect place to rest ... Well done my friend ♥

Marina said...

Wow!cthis is amazing. So much detail and it looks so beautiful.

Gio said...

Wow, Jackie this is so cool! That stencil design is a gem and you make a jewel piece out of it. Every detail is so perfect, along with the lovely charm and elephant ribbon. Amazing!

Ps: you can find the Pixie Powders for sure in UK, these are from Creative Expressions. I bouht mine at www.theCraftBarn.co.uk :-)

Words and Pictures said...

Oh, stunning work, Jackie - the textural details and opulent decoration are completely breathtaking. What a glorious piece of recycling for those unassuming substrates - turned into amazing artwork. A fabulous first post for Gwen - she must be thrilled!
Alison x

aimarii said...

Cool and amazing little house. Somebody´s home. Maybe it is the home of that little buddha.

artbyjune said...

What a beautiful shrine! I love the elephant papers!

Candy C said...

Jackie...girl, you've got some creative juices flowin'. This little shrine is just awesome. And to see what it started from and how it ended up makes me appreciate it even more!! Just an fabulous idea and execution. Love that stencil and I love what you did with it! Looks very "Asian". Love the secret compartment with the stunning black and gold elephant trim. You're a rock star!

Pamellia said...

This is absolutely brilliant Jackie! What an amazing recycle project, a domino box!!! I love your colour palette, it's so elegant and rich! The texture pattern is so amazing and I love that you highlighted it with gold. The charm, the tiles, all the details, just wow! I could stare at this for hours and keep on finding new things to admire! I'm so gad I had a couple minutes to drop in on you today! Sending hugs and hoping all is well with you and yours :)

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Wow, Jackie, this is just simply breathtaking! I love it so much! The stencil and the elephants are a perfect combination and I adore that little buddha statue! The colours are awesome too! Just perfect and so so inspiring! I'm glad to be back finally! :)

Words and Pictures said...

Sorry - my mother's already complaining about the fungi coasters having gone off to live at PaperArtsy for the display boards. If I end up making some more for her, I'll happily make an extra trio for you!
Alison xx

Edwige V. said...

Beautiful shrine ! Love the colour combination you choose, the texture and so on !

Dee Spillane said...

Ah Jackie. You got me at first glance. Asian elements, Mandala, teal, house! So wonderful. I have tagged this as a reference too. So much inspiration. Thank you

Jean said...

Wow- Love the colors and the textures. So very creative!

Darlene K Campbell said...

So that's what you do with a domino box. Is this piece for sale? I'll buy it if it is. LOVE everything about it. You are soooooo talented Jackie.