Thursday, November 9, 2017

House Warming Patchwork Gift

You may have heard me say once or twice,I am a recycler.Today's project is made with leftovers and recycled papers from my last piece, Meditative Wind Chimes.



My wall hanging came about because I just could not part with these beautiful scraps and I wanted to "patch them together" and build something fresh and new from them,similar to the way quilts were once made.

Without in process photos,let me explain how I created this...
After prepping a piece of cardboard with black gesso I adhered a piece of mulberry paper to that.
Next,I layered the strips of scraps using matte medium under and over each piece. Pieces were placed just slightly atop the one before them,overlapping as I went.


 Making sure to vary the colors so not all of one design or palette was in one area.



  Because I  just love this Exotic Orient Calligraphy Washi tape of Gwen's and had not had a chance to use it yet,I filled in a few remaining places with it. 
With the close up photos you can see where I previously stamped using Gwen's Irresistible India Mini Wood Block Stamps~Leaves and also the other previous stenciling~
Gwen's Ornamental Peacock Feather Stencil 
Gwen's Decorative 6 Petal Flower Screen Stencil


 These diamond shaped pieces are what was left after cutting the circles from the original Marbled Papers of Gwen's.

 As you can see,I love the glitz and glimmer of the gold,so using Enhanced Gold Pearl embossing powder by Emerald Creek,I gave the diamond edges a bit of glamour.

and in case you had not noticed,
 I am a huge fan of this stencil design from
 Gwen's Art Deco Collection~Art Deco Flower Medallion. This seems to be my go to stencil!💗

So,using DecoArt acrylic paints I sponged the design onto a loose piece of Khadi paper and this became my focal point. 
Again,with embossing ink and powder,the outside of this focus piece was gifted with gold!
and,just because...I added,a few flakes of gold gilt here and there. 
Before adding the stenciled Khadi piece and diamonds,I gave the overall piece one last coat of matte medium.


Here I stamped a sentiment by RedLead Paperworks onto a teabag.
I gently tore the edges and attached it to a circle piece edged in turquoise.
The overall piece was edged and I painted the hanging dowel with the turquoise as well.

 and lastly,I drilled holes through the canvas to add the Sari ribbon from Darned Good Yarn for hanging and wrapped and tied it all together.


and lastly,for reals this time...
 I strung some of these gorgeous!Floral Czech Glass Beads of Gwen's and added the beautiful turquoise Enchanting Elephant Glass Bead for the finishing touch!



  This has now traveled with me cross country to Washington state to my son's home. He recently purchased his first house and this is is first piece of art hanging in his new home!





 Thank you so much for joining me this day and I want to say thank you so much for visiting me and leaving your wonderful comments, which always make my day!
Namaste'
Jackie


for the month of November, Gwen is having a sale on Trims and Embellished Ribbons!


 Other products used:


32 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

What a gorgeous piece you have created, and you used those scraps soooooooooooooo well. Always great to recycle! Your son will be very proud of this wonderful piece of art to hang in his new home. Have a nice day, hugs, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

WOW WOW WOW -- this is absolutely AMAZING Jackie, I am sure your son and DIL will ADORE and LOVE it! UNIQUE!!!! You put so much love and knowledge in it! A MASTERPIECE!

Happy November my friend!
oxo Susi

Dorthe said...

Oh Jackie , your art hanger is so filled with life, and beauty. Colors clinging to each other ,making statements of joy and also peace. I`m so in love, with the way, you added the beautiful quote , -love it - and love the gorgeous rest from your circles, too. So many fantastic things to look at , a gorgeous piece, to "get into" and dream !!
Sending warm hugs to you my friend
Dorthe, xoxo

Pam Wildeboer said...

Dearest Jackie! You always amaze me with your beautiful creativity :) Everything from the beautiful colors and composition to the lovely quote to finish it all off. Not to mention a great way to use up some of the hoarded scraps...hmmmm...I have a few of those! Love you sista xoxox

Win Dinn, Artist said...

What a glorious wallhanging this piece is, and I love the quilted look. Your son is a VERY lucky man to be the recipient of such a wonderful gift; you've outdone yourself, my friend!

Unknown said...

First: What a FABULOUS piece of art for your son's home Jackie. I love thinking that every time he looks at it... he will feel loved. Very VERY VERY special.
Second: I am a quilter and this is just lovely - it really DOES have that look. But even more than that - it is just soooo OERFECTly put together. The papers blend so well and the colors are just MESMERIZING.
Third: It's STUNNING. Definitely a FANTASTIC conversation piece. The embellishments/beads are GORGEOUS. Your creativity is AMAZING on this HEIRLOOM quality work of art.
Fourth: I truly mean it!! MARVELOUSLY done! Xj.

Gwen Lafleur said...

This is wonderful! I love recycling too - so this resonated with me. I love how you used scraps from another project to create something so different! It's awesome! Lucky son to have such a lovely piece in his new home :)

SandeeNC said...

I LOVE this piece, every inch of it! wow! What a great gift!

aimarii said...

Lovely gift I think. I am sure your son will love it. It´s really full of colors and feelings. Do you know I love glitter of cold too. I think it´s one color (and the favorite) of my Christmas, second is blue, and then red and...
Nice going with your November

Edzellinni aka Linda Edkins Wyatt said...

Beautiful Jackie! So many nuances I don’t know what I love most!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous. I love the turquoise mandala and that gorgeous elephant. So uplifting. Lovely piece . Tracy x

Kate Yetter said...

Wow! This is so full of colors and textures. This screams BOHO! I love it!! This paper piecing is amazing!
Kate

Lynda Shoup said...

Jackie, I am in love with this piece!!! The color! The vibrancy! The pattern! All those details. Love the beads and the hanging and the everything. Your son is lucky to have such a warm and beautiful piece for his new home.

Darlene K Campbell said...

To be able to take all of those scraps and make this divine piece...it is remarkable. This piece has strength, peace and hope woven into it. I can feel it just by looking at it. Love the glass beads and turquoise elephant. The perfect finishing touch. Congrats to Lyn on his new house. Hugs-

Jill McDowell said...

Jackie, I loved everything the idea of using scraps the way typos did. It’s so colorful and everything ties in together beautifully. What an awesome housewarming gift. Thanks for the inspiration.

Gaby Bee said...

What a fabulous piece of art, Jackie! I'm impressed with this eye catching explosion of color. I am sure your son will love it.

Gaby xo

AppleApricot Wen said...

wow Jackie, I love your bohemian inspired art! So colourful, so reminding me of the beautiful photos I've seen of India. A real eye-catcher and so beautiful! Hugs xx

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Wow, I can't believe you created this with just scraps of bits and pieces! Such abundance of colour, pattern and texture and such a beautiful piece to display! I love Khadi paper too - it's so lovely to work with. Wishing you a fantastic weekend, Jackie! xxx

Anonymous said...

Love it when scraps transform though magic in someone's hands and become beautiful. xox

Felicia said...

Jackie, I have been trying to get to your blog ever since you posted this to check out the process! I am sooooooo in love with this beautiful piece of art! How special for your son!! I am jealous.....I want it in my home! LOLOL What beautiful colors and papers! I love those stamps and stencils that you used. I am going to have to go check those out! You are so creative and things just turn to gold that you churn out!! This was a great project and thanks for sharing your special talents with us! :) Blessings

Words and Pictures said...

What a spectacular hanging - a riot of colour and depth and layers - completely original and unique - and with such warmth to it. An inspiring use of leftovers to create an uplifting piece of artwork which makes the world a better place.
Alison x

AppleApricot Wen said...

Hello sweetie, I can't find a way to email you my reply, so I'm going to reply here to your sweet comment on my blog: You told me about the email-following not working anymore. Thank you for telling me, Jackie! I have no idea how that could happen. May be it's because I removed the widget for following through mail from my blog page? I'll put it back on then, see what happens... I also deleted the old google friend connect widget, because google stopped doing maintenance on that widget. Right now the best way to follow my blog would be bloglovin or google+ I think. But may be I should just re-add email and gfc options too. Good to know, thank you! Big hugs xx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Jackie, sweet thing! Your use of colour is brilliant and so inspiring. Thank you for the lovely comment over at mine too. I dare not tell you how long it took me to make that piece. Safe journey back home and have a great and creative week. Sending big hugs for my crafty friend xXx

Tristan Robin said...

This is just marvelous. I love the combination of scrappy grit and gilt & glam! Beautiful wallhanging - your son must love it. He's lucky to have such a talented - and generous! - mom!

I was so surprised to find out that you're from Syracuse! I'm from right outside - in Hamilton. I had a restaurant in Manlius for many years!

It really is a small world!

Katie said...

This is stunning

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

My dear sweet Jackie, you're not so bad yourself. I think the photo must have been taken on a good day Hee Hee! The biggest hugs, Angela xXx

Gio said...

Wow, this is amazing!! And i love that it came from upcycled/remants stuff. It bursts with joy and it will be a lovely and bright addiction to any new home!

denthe said...

what a beautiful gift for your son! It looks very Indian to me, and I'm a big fan of all the colours and designs of India. And that elephant is the cutest! I may have to order some ;-) I really like how you did the edges of the diamond shapes. I keep saying this: I wish I could sit next to you when you create these artworks. I could learn so much from you ... Have a great week dear Jackie ♥

sarascloset said...

It takes a special creative eye to put together so many pieces and make it look so cohesive and as if it were meant to be that way. Your colors and textures flow effortlessly to draw the eye around this FABULOUS work of art. Boy, your son must be thrilled to have it hanging in his new home! I adore the turquoise and gold on your stencil work, Jackie--really gives this such richness and vitality and the elephant compliments it so well. I hope you enjoyed your trip and arrived home safely! Hugs!

Pamellia said...

Hello my friend. Just popped in to say and found this gorgeous project! Not sure how I missed it, I usually get an email when you post something. Well it is just gorgeous! I adore all the bright and cheery colours, if I tried to use that many colours I would probably end up with a big hot mess, but you make it look magical! Your recycling of leftover bits is impressive, what a rock star you are!

I was tickled to hear that you keep your bird feeders up all winter, so many people take them down once the garden dies and that's just nuts! I would love to see some pics of the birds you have in your area! Hope all is well, sending hugs :)

ArtyDiva said...

Ok, Jackie, you are a master at recycling! You have the best stuff...I might steal this when you're not looking LOL xoxoxo

PiaRom said...

OMG your wall hangers are truely AMAZING! Those colours and details! And how you put all this stuff together! You are a master of Mixed Media! ♥ Conny http://piaromsartjournaling.blogspot.de