Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Gypsy Prayer Flags with Intentions



 This month at Gwen's,she had challenged The Artist Tribe to create something using the embellished trims she carries in her store.
Have you looked there yet?Seriously gorgeous and exquisite selection!
Right away I was totally excited about this challenge as I had so many ideas of which to make!
After seeing what clever and brilliant creations my Tribe sisters (links at the end of the post) had made I was even more enthused!



   But,I have to say,when it came right down to actually USING my coveted trims,I froze with thoughts of,"what could you possibly make that would really showcase these exquisite trims?" and"where would this creation end up-on a shelf, in a bin,where no one could see it?"   as well as "what happens once you cut the trim?-measure twice cut once,because that's all there is..."
 
 When I was done brow beating myself-lol,
I went into my studio,pulled out my trims and looked into my stash for other beautiful pieces to go with them-that's when the idea came to me.



Again with the upcycling...
I pulled out a garment that I had been saving since my folks handed it down to me.It was the slip from my First Communion dress(the dress to be upcycled at a later date).
A piece of fabric that had meaning but only to me.
This is where I thought of,not so much a prayer flag,but intention flags. Beautifully detailed flags with a gypsy,bohemian flair.Each one hand sewn with special intentions known only to me.
I would hang these where they could be seen; and certainly not out in the elements where those precious trims would be destroyed.






 















  

I set to work,cutting pieces from the slip
 and then stenciling with Gwen's Decorative Medallion Stencil  
and using DecoArt's Metallics to accent the richness and lusciousness of these trims
 
  Four panels,each receiving some gold,and the rest with color found in the trim(full color list at bottom of post)
  Once the stenciling was dried,I chose which trims would go best with each panel and set to work,matching up vintage laces and other fibers and beads to honor each intention.

BTW...this is where you need to fill your cup-many photos ahead!
The first panel I used the
Gold Embroidered on Orange Proud Peacock trim
 
 as you can see,I fussy cut around the peacock,leaving just enough of the orange to highlight his golden embroidery-such a fine bird in all his gold glory!
 The next one has one of my favorite trims Red&Blue Flowers from the Fabulous Florals trim collection

 again some fussy cutting adding a few more leaves here and there
This third one has the most exquisite trim! and it is called,
 Red Flowers with Gold again from the Fabulous Florals Trim collection
and finally the fourth one.This was actually the first intention flag I put together.
 In case you are wondering,yes,this is the same Decorative Medallion stencil,just using the inside design. 
Tribe sister Jill McDowell of Infinite Possibilities has a super post on this technique

 This stunning trim comes from the
 Irresistible India trim collection-Teal and Gold Scallop 
are those teal and gold scallops not gorgeous!!
 I added a few beads (from my save for special projects stash)
For the binding,I choose to use some of the
  Istanbul Sparkle Silk Sari Ribbon  
that I recently ordered from Gwen!
This is the cluster I made trying to pick which parts I wanted to use! heehee

Some close ups of this exquisite Silk Sari

 

 For the back I did use some pale green silk to cover the stitches as even though I am showing the flags on the wall of my art barn in the photos,I intend to hang them across the barn over the table for inspiration as well as something beautiful to look at!



Phew! now that's a lotta photos!! 
and trim?some real gorgeousness here-wouldn't you agree?
 I joked with Gwen the other day about feeling Extravagant when I use her mixed media supplies. I really have to admit,these materials really do make me feel like I can create anything,and it will be beautiful!
The supplies Gwen carries are all amazing,all carefully chosen by her from all over the world,just to be shared with us! 
ahhhhh I feel so #Lafleurish!! Thanks Gwen!😉

And thank you my dear readers,for your visits and comments! 
When I say,they make my day,I really mean this-you make my heart smile and my world a bit brighter!

Namaste'
Jackie






Posts from my Tribe sisters for the November Trim Challenge~
Linda Edkins Wyatt
Sandee Setliff
Lynda Shoup
Jill McDonnell 


DecoArt Dazzling Metallics~ 
Peacock Pearl
Festive Green
Amethyst
Worn Penny
Champagne
Splendid Gold











27 comments:

Julie Lee said...

Jackie, these are so beautiful! They have truly brightened my day with their colour and the sheer joy in their creation. xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Your prayer flags are just gorgeous. The materials and trims are fan*tas*tic and I love everything about them. You put a lot of clever, hard work into making them. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Kate Yetter said...

Wow! These are stunning! I think i would feel the same way about cutting into those trims. They are magnificent! I love how you used your slip as the base. This is certainly a show stopper.
Kate

Lynda Shoup said...

Jackie, I love the way you articulated your vision for this project. Intention flags! I love the idea, especially that each has an intention that only you know. You may have noticed that I have a penchant for things to have a bit of mystery to them. The way you used a garment that had so much meaning to you makes them so special. I wonder how hard it was to cut into that fabric.

The way you used the stencils and trim - marvelous! Love the way you used the stencils on the blue one and added the special beads. So many more details to love. I can imagine how wonderful it will be to see these hanging in the art barn and keep reminding you of your intentions. Marvelous all round!

froebelsternchen said...

These intention flags are just AMAZING - oh my gosh every single piece is so beautiful on it's own and you hung it up in your fantastic art barn so well. This very charming materials are so perfect used by you ! I am thrilled about your post and those flags! Wonderful made and to use this special garment makes it extra special !
Happy weeks of December for you my friend!
Thank you for all the lovely comments for me on my blog Jackie!
You always make me so happy with your visits!
oxo Susi

Dorthe said...

That was a wonderful tour , through your photos, of this amazing work, Jackie.
I would have been afraid to cut those ribbons, too, :-)
So special they are , all, and your inspiration flags looks gorgeous.
A lovely idea to use your old dress, giving so much meaning to you. Like
the breath of history, my dear.
Now you have this gorgeous art piece, to look at , every day, -so much better that hiding the ribbons in a drawer.
Big hugs
Dorthe

Tristan Robin said...

Knock-your-socks-off fab! I ADORE these prayer flags - and I can't think of a better use for these exquisite trims, which are some of the most beautiful I've seen. The combination of stenciled patterns and trims create such a marvelous complete picture on each flag, it's hard to imagine them any other way.
I've also never seen photos of your art barn - now I want to see more, more, more! :)
I'm not sure I should thank you for sharing - now I have to go get myself some of these stunning little needlework masterpieces to use myself!
(Glad you took so many photos - I would have happily examined more!)

DIYDesignStudio said...


WONDERFUL! Your ability to turn scraps into treasures is fabulous. I too have many pieces of this and that and hate to use them, but you have inspired me to do something with them!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Oh wow Jackie!!! Loving the gorgeous flags and that peacock trim is awesome and that gold and turquoise piece! I think you are very brave to use those lovelies. I am terrible as I look at things like that in my stash and just tell myself I can't use it yet so I end up with loads of stuff and they are all stored away in boxes, how stupid is that Lol! How I wish I could be transported across the pond to play with you my lovely crafty friend. Sending you great big hugs, Angela xXx P.S. Can you feel them yet!

Tristan Robin said...

Well, you did it, Jackie. You inspired me - and caused my Am-Ex to hemorrhage! LOL You can expect to see some exotic fabric trims in future albums!
Seriously - thanks for the lead on what I'm sure will be one of my new favorite suppliers!

Win Dinn, Artist said...

Good grief - such mouth-watering deliciousness makes my eyes so happy. These intentional prayer flags are just stunning, Jackie, and a lovely grace note to your beautiful art barn! I am, as always, in awe!!! xoxox

Unknown said...

Jackie, these flags are absolutely STUNNING. The reason I got into mixed media art a million years ago (okay about 15) is stuff like this... textile art, fabric, lace, fibers, beads. It makes my heart sing. These are breathtaking. Well done. And Gwen's offerings are amazing!

Karenliz Henderson said...

Gorgeous!!!! I'm so amazed by how you use fabric to create such stunning pieces of art. It's looks amazing in the art barn!!!

sirkkis said...

Utterly feast to eye, Jackie ❣ Your talent to make marvelous crafting is magical. Love your gorgeous art barn 💕

Gwen Lafleur said...

These flags are just stunning! I love everything about them! I also love the idea of having a secret intention for each one... I'm feeling the need to go make something similar now. I think my studio could definitely use a few prayer flags ;) Thank you!

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Jackie, these are so beautiful! Truly extravagant like you said! I had a nosy around Gwen's shop and indeed she has so many wonderful things in stock. Your project was made extra special by using part of your first communion dress. I hope all your prayers/wishes/intentions come true! I first heard of prayer flags from Kasia on Wunderlust but never got around to doing that lesson. Now I feel totally inspired to have a go! xx

Redanne said...

Well done for using some of your special trims, your prayer flags are all beautiful but the blue one is incredibly beautiful, the trim is fabulous and I love the turquoise and gold beads you added. This is so special Jackie, what a labour of love!! Hugs, Anne xx

SandeeNC said...

GORGEOUS!!!!! You always shine!

Jill McDowell said...

I love your intention flag and the fact that only you know what they mean. Such a beautiful way to add some visual reminders. They are absolutely beautiful. I especially love the teal one with the peacock feathers and beads. They look perfect with the pattern stencil background. Just the right touch. I know what you mean about finding it hard to cut into the trims. But it feels so good to use them, especially in a project like this.

Edzellinni aka Linda Edkins Wyatt said...

What a fabulous idea to make intention flags with the trims! Wish I could see them in person, just lovely!

Bozena Wojtaszek said...

Truly inspirational trims!
And I love your idea of "intentional flags" - don't be surprised if I borrow it one day :)
I also had to smile at "measure twice, cut once" - here it is quite contrary, I cut first then start to think (everything could be fixed later). Would be different with all those paints and mediums you apply :)))

Pamellia said...

What a magnificent project Jackie! I laughed at your concerns about the trim. I've just spent a small fortune on a box full of pricey Venice laces and trims. Every time I pick up the scissors I pause, OK, let's not mess this up!! lol. You always have such great ideas for recycling, and the end result today is such a gorgeous piece of art! The trims are stunning and you have showcased them beautifully!! Love it!!

You mentioned on my post about the Pion graphics seeming out of focus. It's actually the papers themselves. I think they were trying to go for a vintage water colour effect, but it just seems blurry and smudgy when you're looking straight on. Don't tell them, but it's really not my favourite collection. lol

denthe said...

Oh Jackie, I would so love to have a walk around in your art barn. I see so many pretty and interesting things there. You're right, Gwen's mixed media supplies are stunning, but it's you who makes something beautiful with them every single time. Where you keep getting the ideas is beyond me. You know just the right thing to do with them. I think Gwen is lucky to have you on her design team. And it's so obvious how you enjoy working with these supplies. It's a pleasure to visit your blog and enjoy it with you. Wishing you a wonderful weekend dear Jackie, and thanks so much for your lovely comments on my blog! Hugs xx

Gio said...

Such a work of art made with all your heart! Amazing piece Jackie, and it really deserves to be hanging in your fabulous art-barn

sarascloset said...

As always, I really enjoyed reading your post, but the end product is simply stunning, Jackie! I'm loving all those trims, but I especially love the peacock and how you fussy cut it to really focus on it's beauty! I'm kinda wondering what these intentions are...:) Sending you big hugs!

Words and Pictures said...

I'm so glad that those fabulous decorative trims get to be truly decorative up on the wall as part of your glorious prayer flag garlands... what a wonderful post full of positivity as always. The colours and textures are so vivid and exciting - brilliant!

We don't decorate until about the 23rd - then they're up for the 12 days through until 6th January - purists! But I certainly couldn't be without a tree at all - bah humbug! Tell your husband that floor needs laying again pronto!!
Alison xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

WOW....you did complete justice to those trims! I didn't know about prayer flags...what a wonderful idea. Seriously stunning!