Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Glamorous Art Deco


 

Here today with a Tribe post for Gwen Lafleur.
I must tell you,when I get on a run with something,it seems there is no stopping me! heehee as there are many more projects filling my art desk right now with Gwen's Art Deco line of stencils leading the way...thanks Gwen for the inspiration!
So,let me tell you a bit about this piece as you look at the photos... 
(sorry no step outs)



Gorgeous, glorious coloring-eh?
and how about those yummy,scrumptious, textures?
Modeling paste,embossing paste, #EmeraldCreek #BakedTexture  embossing powder-Oh MY!



It all started with this canvas that had some background marks on it and then was put away;because my mind wandered elsewhere. The colors were built up gradually...before Gwen's Deco stencils came into play.



links for colors at the end of post















I just love the richness of the colors and textures of this piece. a bit Bohemian I think



to the right you see markings of another stencil of Gwen's Art Deco line- Art Deco Sunburst Background


The main stencil here is Gwen's Art Deco Bookplates.
The layers went sort of like this...
paint-let dry
thin layer of modeling paste-let dry
paint-let dry
embossing ink and Seth Apter's new Deep Sea #BakedTexture embossing powder,set with heat tool
At this point I wanted more depth,so....
to the inside of the Book Plate,I added a thick coat of clear embossing paste- let dry slightly
next added more of Seth's Deep Sea embossing powder.
Here I took the heat tool and from a distance,slowly let the powder #Bake into the paste-this was a glorious scene to watch!(and yes,this part took forever but was so worth it in my opinion)
You can see the difference in the embossing paste and ink here with the #BakedTexture .

 The  Deep Sea around the inner circle was with ink alone and the outer design with embossing paste.
 I was loving the stencil design's circles of coloring so much I decided to keep as is,by applying a few layers of Glossy Accents.

  How yummy are those textures??
I rubbed some of the Silks Acrylic glazes over the raised areas, again,more is more as we texture,color junkies like to say!
After all the colors and textures were dry and set, I added the final embellishments.
Gold antique findings I have had in my stash for years,finally found their place.


just in time for this piece...
Gwen added these GORGEOUS  Irresistible India Sari Scraps to her shop ! 
When my order came in the post,I was blown away and knew this purple scrap had to go on my canvas!



I also used another piece of the purple Sari Scrap that I tore and wrapped the this fabulous Gold Beaded Wire to use as the hanger as well as top off the Sari.



and now the view of the finished hanging









 I am absolutely thrilled with how this turned out-I do believe this is my favorite piece I've made! ")


















 Thank you so very much for joining me today - I hope you found something here that sparks your creativity or inspires your muse!
 peace & love
Jackie ")
 


Just a bit of FYI about Art Deco...
taken from Wikipedia
Art Deco,sometimes referred to as Deco,is a style of visual arts,architecture and design that first appeared in France just before World War I. During its heyday,Art Deco represented luxury,glamour,exuberance.It took its name,short for Arts Décoratifs, from the Exposition Internationale des Arts Décoratifs et Industriels Modernes (International Exhibition of Modern Decorative and Industrial Arts) held in Paris in 1925.It combined modernist styles with fine craftsmanship and rich materials.Art Deco was a pastiche(an artistic work in a style that imitates that of another work,artist,or period of many different styles)sometimes contradictory,united by a desire to be modern. It featured rare and expensive materials, such as ebony and ivory, and exquisite craftsmanship.

Products

 Gwen Lafleur's shop products:

Baked Texture Embossing Powder-Deep Sea
Art Deco Background Stencil and Art Deco Bookplates Stencil
Irresistible India Sari Scraps- purple
Gold Beaded Wire by the yard


Other Products used:
DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics~
Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide,Cobalt Turquoise Hue,Cobalt Teal Hue,Dairylide Yellow, Raw Sienna, Payne'sGrey,PhthaloBlue,Quinachridone Magenta,Quinachridone Gold

Wendy Vecchi Translucent Embossing Paste

Colourarte Silks Acrylic Glazes~
Honey Amber,Golden Monarch,Teal Zircon,Jazmin

 Felt
Vintage embossing gold findings
8x10 Canvas panel
E6000 Glue

Find out more about Seth Apter and his new lines(click link)

Learn more about  Emerald Creek  and their products(click link)






Joining in on these challenges:

Mixed Media Monthly Challenge #44 - "Ring in the New" 

Using new embossing powders from Seth Apter #BakedTexture

  More Mixed Media Challenge - "Anything Goes" optional Blue

 










39 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wow, wow, wow, what a wonderful riot of colour and textures and different materials, so exuberant, so gorgeous! LOVE everything about it, very well done indeed! Have a lovely week, hugs, Valerie

sirkkis said...

Absolutely gorgeous mixed-media Art, Jackie. You are so talented.
wishing you more great inspirations xx

Tristan Robin said...

wow, you said it: yummy! I love it! The colors, layering, texturing, all combine into a marvelous composition.
I've been anxiously awaiting my pre-order of Seth's baked textures to arrive, but nothing so far - so I'm envious of your chance to play with them! LOL Not fair! LOL
The bits of torn sari are a wonderful finishing touch to the piece - such a refined and elegant layer atop all the crackle and distress - like beauty born out of decay.
You go, girl!

ArtyDiva said...

Well now...WOW!! I am going to call you Jackie unleashed"!! This is simply beautiful! Love the colors and all that yummy texture! xox

Darlene K Campbell said...

HI Jackie, Just thinking of you last night and wondering what you were creating and here it is! Also at first glance of this piece I thought how you'd like Seth Apter's new product...heat textured embossing powder (not the correct name?) and yet you already had it and used it in this piece. I would love to try the rust one on a canvas. This is a favorite of mine too...ahhh the scraps of sari trim. Just beautiful! Thank you for the organized of list of product links! Cheers-

Dorthe said...

This is really something so special, dear , I am wildly in love with your textures, all over this art piece, and all the colors you used , bringing it to live so very much.
Gorgeous with the gold corners, and that stunning piece of sari silk finishing it off .
You are a marvelous artist Jackie !!
Hugs from Dorthe, xxx

Karenliz Henderson said...

Jackie, it's gorgeous. I love all the texture and those colors are amazing. You are the master of color for sure!!!

SewPaperPaint said...

This is incredible Jackie! I adore the rich colors and beautiful texture in your amazing composition. Hugs, Autumn

Gwen Lafleur said...

LOVE how this turned out Jackie! Such a gorgeous piece with all those rich colors and that fabulous texture! Love the idea of using the EP with the paste and melting it slowly - turned out great!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Hi Jackie, the colours on this are divine. Love this and the textures are wonderful. Have a lovely week. Tracy x

Redanne said...

Jackie, this is just gorgeous, I love the amazing colours and textures! I just got my hands on the Baked Textures and think the blue is going to be one of my favourites! Love this! Hugs, Anne xx

Edzellinni aka Linda Edkins Wyatt said...

Beautiful piece, and the finishing touches of sari scraps and hardware are perfect!

Kate Yetter said...

Wow Jackie!! The texture on this is so yummy! The colors are certainly bohemian and I love it.
Kate

Bozena Wojtaszek said...

Fabulous indeed! Love the textures and colors and it shows the pleasure you've had while playing :)

artbyjune said...

Such beautiful colours and textures. I love the hanging!

Words and Pictures said...

Amazing jewel colours and the shimmer and glow from the embossing and gilding is fabulous! I'm looking forward to playing with the Baked Textures (which should be awaiting me in NYC when I arrive) even more now. Love the texture, of course, and the stencils look inspirational.
Alison x

Unknown said...

What a GREAT way to start my day..... your GORGEOUS artwork.... man oh man... wow oh wow... get the batmobile Robin - I'm going to Jackie's to SEE and TOUCH this MAGNIFICENT EXPLOSION of JUICYNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BREATHTAKINGLY BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL. Xj.

Candy C said...

Jackie...I am so impressed with you, girl. You are into so many different things! I love them all! You always have such a cool sense of color. This wall hanging is stunning. So many steps and come to the beautiful conclusion. The jewel tones topped off with the amazing iridescence is really striking. I also love all of the layers and textures. Really really a fun piece!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Oh Jackie! this is scrummy! Gorgeous colour and brilliant textures. I have been telling myself I don't need anymore embossing powders as I haven't used them much for a while but may have to look at these. Take it easy my friend and have a lovely creative week, Angela xXx

SandeeNC said...

LOVE the colors and the textures!! Beautiful piece!!

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Loving those extravagant textures and deep colours! A stunning piece of art, Jackie!

Judy Shea said...

Yowza, Wowza, girl. You are firing up some beauties there. Those are striking!!!!

Jill McDowell said...

I get all tingly when I think about watching those embossing powders melt and bubble into the molding paste....😎. The colors and textures in this piece are so awesome but combined with the sari scraps... oh la la

Win Dinn, Artist said...

This is beyond stunning, Jackie, and bordering on scrumpdillyisciousmagnificentia! Totally awesome - from the texture to the colour to all the wonderful elements it is SO well done, my super-creative friend! xo

Felicia said...

And the hits JUST KEEP ON COMING!!!!!!!! You do it girl! :) Love, love this piece Jackie!!! First let me say that I loved the piece before you started, but then you ramped it up with all the richness of those amazing colors and textures!!!! And YES, I think it is a bit of "Bohemian," which I LOVE!!! I'm a Bohemian at heart! LOL In addition Jackie, I LOVE, LOVE those Sari scraps!! To die for! Awesome sauce is all I can say my friend! Thank you for sharing your GORGEOUSNESS to us! Blessings

ann barnes said...

This is just so gorgeous Jackie! I love those rich colors and wow, that purple sari scrap looks just divine! Love it, such a great make! xoxoxo

Pamellia said...

Oh my gosh Jackie, this is gorgeous! You always use so many brilliant colours and yet your pieces never look muddied or overdone! The texture is incredible, you've created dimension on a flat surface! Love the touches of metallic, so beautiful! I've recently discovered Sari ribbon and I am so addicted to the stuff! The pieces you added are absolutely gorgeous!

My bridge photo shot was taken early in the morning just as the sun was rising. It was such a beautiful colour of purple in the world, but in only lasted a couple of minutes. Isn't nature amazing!

It's been a long two weeks fighting off this darned flu bug, but I'm on the mend now. Being sick is so freaking boring, so I'm really looking forward to my next outdoor adventure. I hope you have been avoiding the ickies this year and having good weather to enjoy. sending hugs :)

Lynda Shoup said...

Wow! Wow! Wowweeee! I am smitten! The colors! The textures! The "say hello to Boho!" The metal pieces combined with the sari fabric! I just can't even get myself to write in full sentences I'm so overcome with the beauty. Wonderful!

froebelsternchen said...

Oh my gosh! This is simply AMAZING - I am thrilled about it- everything goes together and creates such a BEAUTY! This is amazing I could look at it for ages and admire every inch of it.I can't express it in English so well, sorry!
It's A M A Z I G !
I can imagine that you are satisfied with it! Wonderful made my friend!
I wish you a happy weekend dear Jackie!
Was a bit busy the last days - so I am late this time to see and look with what you came up this time.
♥♥♥
Susi

Seth said...

This is a stunner Jackie. Those colors. That texture. It is truly a gem!

denthe said...

ooooohh-those-colours !!!! I don't know what it is with me, but whenever I see an abundance of beautiful deep vibrant colours like these it almost makes me salivate ... Well, okay, not really, but it does have an effect on me that makes me go WOW! It is an absolutely gorgeous piece, and although you show all the steps I have no idea how on earth you get this effect. Probably also because I don't know half of the products you use, or at least I don't know how to use them. It's a real gift you have, using these materials in such a way that the result is breathtaking. Well done once again Jackie! Have a great week! hugs xxx

Lys said...

An amazing masterpiece, it really looks like rich indian fabric, to me, makes me travel!

Granmargaret said...

Lovely work. Thank you for joining the challenge at More Mixed Media. Hope to see you again next time.

Sugar Lump Studios said...

Such wonderful deep hues and textures in this piece! really amazing! Hope you have a great week!

Michele said...

this is incredible! so much color and dimension! love! xo

aimarii said...

You have had the strong hand and lot of color in the pots. Of course the point is you can use colors.Yes, I think this work of yours is very bohemian, but maybe the whole Jackie painter is bohemian too.

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

An absolute gallery worthy show pieces! Excellent texture and colors...a WOW!!!

AppleApricot Wen said...

Oh my goodness, I'm blown away by this one, dear Jackie! It's stunning! The colours and textures are so rich, so beautiful. LOVE it! I so much love the inspiration from Asia you put into your work. As part of my roots go back to Asia as well, it is a bit like coming home :) Wishing you a beautiful week, big hugs xx

sarascloset said...

Oh, YUM! Just look at this divine texture and beautiful jewel tone colors! You ARE on a roll, my friend! Loving this piece, and I bet you had the most fun creating it! Hugs!