Friday, August 8, 2014

Creativity with Distress Stains

  Here it is Friday again- and this week I really got into the play and created with some abandon!




  I started with my Ranger/Tim Holtz-Distress Stains, a sheet of watercolor paper, stencils,and a cutesie journal I found at a yard sale...(I'm definitely not about the cutesie!)
DSCN9750

First step, a bit of light sanding down of the glossy finish, then cover with black gesso
DSCN9793
               Next  a series of stencils and Distress Stains...


  First one used is the Echoes Stencil  along with Antique Linen~Distress Stain


then came the Love Beads TCW241 stencil with Broken China~Distress Stain


 Next layer is the Mini Diamonds along with Wild Honey~Distress Stain
 DSCN9759
 Then swiping Picket Fence~Distress Stain over entire piece and wiping back in parts with a babywipe
DSCN9760
 Next I, again, used the Echoes Stencil - this time with clear embossing powder for texture. After that I used the Tarnished Brass~ Distress Stain over the embossed area.
I added more Distress Stains ~ Peacock Feathers,Vintage Photo and Shaded Lilac  wiping on and wiping off till achieving the "just right" look!
  next a bit of stamping with Pam Carriker's Sketched Chain Link Fence

Adding elements of ephemera and some Frantage rounded out my cover...
Gluing both the watercolor substrate and the journal cover, I clamped everything down and waited for it to dry .



Once dry- removed the clips, my brand new journal cover- I like it so much better than the original!

 
 This close-up is on the back of the journal- I ripped pieces of excess paper off of the front cover on top and instead of tossing out, I collaged them here- always using whatever bits I can! 

    Hope you enjoyed your visit! 
          Jackie ")

22 comments:

Astrid Maclean said...

Oh wow Jackie, this looks wonderful! Fabulous work with those stencils and great use of the stains, such gorgeous colours too, love this!

Unknown said...

Fabulous!

Unknown said...

I love this Jackie! I have a book I've been meaning to transform, I'm definitely trying this! thanks for sharing!

Julie Lee said...

Oh, this is lovely. Great colours and wonderful use of stencils. This is a book that just asks to be taken up and held. Julie Ann xx

Bev said...

Oh I love it and glad you used those stains I keep forgetting to use mine so you have inspired me yet again,fabulous result ...

Judy Shea said...

Love the way you tackled this one. Your color choices and the darling girl on the front... just wonderful.

Nancy TeWinkel said...

This turned out just perfect! Love the relaxed Buddah figure. Now, what are you going to put in it? Words of wisdom, deep thoughts, drawings...all of the above:)
How about a quote journal? I love my quote journal.

Unknown said...

ooh la la.Loving the colours and the tectures.Beautiful piece.The Buddha in the front looks very cool.I have not tried using distress stains with stencils.Don't the colours seep through?

ann said...

Oh I love this... beautiful color combo great layers and the little Buddha looks so peaceful xoxo

~*~Patty S said...

OH Jackie!!!
What a treasure you have created here...I L♥ve every single detail and the words are just perfect too!
You must be SO very pleased with how this turned out...such a beauty.
Happy Weekend to ya!
oxo

Darlene K Campbell said...

I'm happy I got to talk to you in person last night as I was better able to express how much I like this. I think you could hear the excitement in my voice. "Creativity takes courage" so follow your words and take this style of work to a canvas as we talked about. Love your skills for layering and distressing. May be your signature style. Cheers-Darlene

Unknown said...

Love the result Jackie, it's amazing, I must play more with distress stains ;-) xoxo

Renee said...

This turned out so fantastic! Love all the colors and textures. Great use of stencils.

froebelsternchen said...

OH MY GOSH!
This is special wonderful...I love ♥♥♥♥♥ it!
xxx
Susi

Unknown said...

I totally agree with Datlene, Jackie! Time for the canvas! You have a very unique, complex and beautiful style with so much depth and character. You are constantly turning junk into "jewels " keep it up my friend! PS I could swear that the Buddha was ceramic… In fact, I am still not convinced that it's paper :-) you've got the magic!

MONICA said...

I love it...love everything about it...your layering is awesome...I love the piece on the front...it looks so dimensional...is it a printable or a stamp or what...I needs to knows...
x0x0x
Love ya
Monica

Karla B said...

My friend, this is gorgeous and dreamy. Love each detail!Great work!

denthe said...

It does look so much better than the original! Lovely way to use the stencils, and I love seeing how you used the excess paper. Wonderful work!

LuLu Badgley said...

thanks for the step by step...no wonder it has dimension!

Maria said...

What a great job you did with all those materials!

Words and Pictures said...

Astounding texture and dimension and full of your own unique style - amazing!
Alison xx

johanna said...

this Journal cover is so exquiste, i can hardly start with detailed compliments as EVERYTHING on it is just divine!!