Sunday, November 23, 2014

Birds,bees and butterflies memory book

   Welcome!
I have been in the studio creating while the snow has been falling outside...
and no, not at all like Buffalo,New York! thank goodness ")

Today's post is picture heavy, as I show and tell how I created this vintage~distressed memory book with a recycled card box and DecoArt products.


For my project, I used a recycled card box that I painted inside and out first with gesso.

 
Next I covered the outside of the box with Americana multi-surface Satin~Muted Gold
 I dry-brushed over the spine,back,top and bottom edges with  Dazzling Metallics~Splendid Gold
 
  On the back of the book,I applied a generous coat of Americana Weathered Wood Crackle Medium
 While still tacky,but almost dry,I brushed Media Fluid Acrylic~Quinachridone Burnt Orange mixed with Glazing Medium.



 On to the front of the book
 For this,I printed out a vintage book plate of Bees picture to use as my first layer.
 I applied Americana Decou-Page Transfer Medium to both the book and to the front of the bees picture. Waited overnight for this to dry.
The next day, I brushed a generous coat of water over the picture and let it soak for 5 minutes. Gently I started to rub off the paper revealing the image underneath.

 Next I added 3 butterfly images that I also printed out and fancy cut again using the Deco-PageTransfer Medium and technique
.

Because I used a heavier paper to print,my butterflies have added a bit of dimension to to the layers.

My next step was to scrape on modeling paste with sand added around the outside of my butterflies and bees.
Now,I layered colors to this using Raw Umber, Burnt Sienna, Quinachridone Burnt Orange and Dark Scarlett.  
When these layers were dry, I brushed layers of Worn Penny and Venetian Gold . 
Next, added was another layer of modeling paste through a Damask stencil.
 When this was dry I continued to build up layers of color using the Worn Penny,Venetian Gold, Splendid Gold,also adding a hint of Carbon Black.  
I also used the golds and black on the edges of the sides and back of book as well.

 When dry, I gave the inside design on the front cover a generous coat of Triple Thick Gloss Glaze.

                                On to the inside of the box

 After securing my ribbons, I cut and glued the inside papers using scrapbook pages from my stash.

                     
Time for another transfer-this time on the inside cover of the book; again using the Deco-PageTransfer Medium and technique


   After the transfer was complete,a bit of distressing around the edges was added.


                                                                 My completed Book







 I do hope you enjoyed my step by step and hope that maybe you were inspired to create today!!

Jackie ")





Linking up with
Country View Challenges-Bugs,bees and butterflies

28 comments:

Julie Lee said...

Jackie, how gorgeous is this! I love your warm, colour choices and the lovely gold glow of it all! It's the perfect winter make that reminds us of glorious summer days! So glad your snowfall is not like that in Buffalo, New York State! One of my oldest friends has a sister there! Hope she's OK. Must give my friend a call. Stay warm! xxxx

Unknown said...

Absolutely stunning! x

Win Dinn, Artist said...

Lovely photo essay, Jackie - gorgeous project!

Unknown said...

what an awesome project and a terrific tutorial! Gonna share on my FB page!

Pilgrim said...

Excellent work Jackie, I love the colors and your tutorial is perfect.

Darlene K Campbell said...

You've convinced me that my next supply purchase will be Deco Art paints. Had no idea the line included that gloss and the image transfer product. Can't wait to give that a go. This box is so romantic! The colors you chose...well perfect!!You could sell it. I could see your process for this box in tiny size boxes too. Cheers-Darlene

Unknown said...

That is a real vintage look my dear Friend, I adore your crackles, I tried so many companies, ok DecoArt not yet, texture pastes are working but the crackle mediums not, I got everything but no crackles. Next I will try the one you mentioned from DecoArt :-)

froebelsternchen said...

An amazing project Jackie- wow!

Kay Wallace said...

You have blown me away with your creativity here, Jackie! I have just such a box, thought not as large I don't think, and will definitely my hand at this! Thanks for the "picture heavy" tutorial. It helps and is appreciated! Mwah! Kay

Unknown said...

Wonderful Jackie! I love it!

Unknown said...

Oh Jackie, I have so missed having the time to peruse everyone's work. As always, I adore what you're creating, but this is just spectacular!!! xo

DIYDesignStudio said...

tremendous project, loved all the photos and info. Not sure if I like the inside or the outside better!!!

Teresa Arsenault said...

This is super gorgeous. I love that you showed your whole, intensive process.

www.deeadamsart.blogspot.co.uk said...

Wow love the way you transferred that picture I have never tried that I think I need to experiment.love the crackle on the back really decadent. I hope the lovely glow of the gold helps you feel warm. Dee x

Annette said...

Oh love this and the process. The birdies are pretty pretty also. Never thought about a box like this. You teacher you : )

Hugs and keep warm my dear. xoxoxo

Astrid Maclean said...

So stunning Jackie, wow, I especially love the crackle on the back of the box! Thanks so much for adding it to our challenge at Countryview Crafts. Stay safe and warm, can't believe all the snow you guys are getting already....

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Wow, what a project! I love that weathered gold look. Absolutely stunning!

denthe said...

wow, amazing! Love the vintage look! I'm always so fasinated by how you can transform something ordinary into something completely different, just by adding some paint and pictures. Although I must say there are a LOT of steps in this creation!

Bev said...

It's gorgeous honey and you sure know how to use product ,now I want it all lol I have 2 boxes that this would be ideal ...thanks for sharing...

Anonymous said...

I am very surprised how many steps and layer You had to do to this project.
But I understand it when I see the memory book. It is sooooou beautiful. When I can see one layer back another and then one layer again...Wholeness is so beautiful and creative and personal. I am sure You have very much enjoy from this book.
Greetings Uuna

Deann said...

This is just gorgeous Jackie what a treasure...you must be so proud of it.
In answer to your question - I don't know how to create an e-mail link...dah

Deann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Words and Pictures said...

Wow - what a golden beauty! Fab image transfer and I adore the crackle on the back. And gorgeous inside too! Beautiful work.
Alison xx

Rupa Swaminathan said...

This is such a beauty Jackie. .love the image transfer and the textures you have achieved! The papers are gorgeous too. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog.

Renee said...

Beautiful box, a real heirloom! Thanks for sharing your process.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

The box is gorgeous and the tutorial excellent and very clear.
Many thanks for including it.
Have a great weekend my crafty friend, Angela x

Karenliz Henderson said...

WOW, WOW and WOW Jackie this is amazing. It's so stunning. I love all the texture and colors. I just bought some Deco Arts paints this weekend. Very nice. They don't sell everything you have listed so I may have to do some after Christmas shopping!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow Jackie! This is a beautiful piece of art. I love all the wonderful texture. The bees and butterflies look amazing too. Thanks so much for visiting me and following, I too are following you. Happy crafting! Karen.x