Thursday, January 15, 2015

DecoArt Mixed Media Treasure Boxes


 Hi - Jackie here!
 I'm back for another post Featuring our Partner for the month of January~ DecoArt!
DecoArt has been around for ever! teeheehee Okay, I exaggerate! At least for a long time! And over the last year or so they have added such a yummy line of mixed media products- full of rich pigmented colors and all kinds of fun textures and mediums! Check them out- I just know you will find some products that will be on your "have to have" list!




 So, let's get started- I had some boxes in my stash that were from a previous project- that did not go well...


 First was to cover over previously painted boxes with gesso. 
After they dried,
 I added flexible modeling paste through a snowflake stencil and waited over night.
  Next came my first coats of color~
DecoArt Dazzling Metallics-Worn Penny on the round box

 and DecoArt Dazzling Metallics- Venetian Gold on the oval shaped box


Next were my first coats of color,which I applied with both my fingers and by dry brush

 Here I knocked back the blues a bit with some DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylic-Yellow Oxide

and then continued adding layer after layer of color till I achieved the look I wanted




Finally came the two coats of DecoArt Media Gloss Varnish to seal in all that beautiful color and texture.





I'm so glad you joined my today! I do hope I convinced your muse to get into your studio and play some art!!

   Jackie P Neal ")
Don't forget to stop by my blog for more mixed media fun!
www.creatingwithoutcrayons-jackiepneal




Make sure to head over to AlteredPages.com for all of the Winter Celebration products and inspiration kits!


28 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful little boxes, looks like you had fun! I have no problems making art, I think I need a muse to show me the way to the cleaning cupboard....Hugs, Valerie

Anonymous said...

Oh, dear Jackie, they are very beautiful! Pastelcolors behind other and theother are so amazing.
I have wrote poems this morning but now I go to my workroom to paint. Thank You for inspiration.
Have a nice day of art :-)

PaperOcotilloStudio said...

I love the coppery colored metallic of the Decoart paints you chose. Others go for the gold or silver and I am always drawn to copper! Is it a Southwest thing? Maybe. Love the little boxes..will there be chocolate inside???

Win Dinn, Artist said...

These are glorious, Jackie...just drooling here. I love the push/pull effect of the colours!

Joseph Cuccurullo said...

Love it Jackie the colors and texture it would make a nice painting to. Great job.....

Nancy TeWinkel said...

Very cool effect. The boxes are indeed little treasures!

Karenliz Henderson said...

Love your little boxes. They are beautiful. Hmmm I think I have a box full of them. Thanks for the inspiration.

Astrid Maclean said...

Great looking box Jackie! Love all the textures and of course fab colours!!

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

These look wonderful Jackie! I really like how you coloured them! I bought some snowflake stencils not long ago, but I can't find them! I've looked everywhere! Now I'm thinking I might have thrown them away with the packaging!

Teresa Arsenault said...

These are really gorgeous, Jackie. I have some little boxes. Maybe I can do something similar with mine. Thanks for the inspiration.
Hugs, Teresa

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Gorgeous texture and lovely color! Beautiful mixed media box, Jackie

Unknown said...

Love those colours, the texture is great like usual dear Friend :-)

Artsociate said...

Truly wonderful project. Anyone would be happy to receive these treasures! Thanks for sharing your work with us.

Julie Lee said...

These little boxes look so pretty! I love the magical colours and effects. xxx

Kay Wallace said...

Treasure to be found both inside and outside! Love 'em all!

Felicia said...

Love, love those boxes Jackie! They really are so yummy with color and texture! They have a patina look to them which I LOVE! :) Would love to try some of their paints out! Awesome job! :)

Annette said...

love it girl the colors and the instruction xoxoxo

Words and Pictures said...

Fabulous layers of metallic colour - these look amazing... and looks like lots of fun too!
Alison xx

Bev said...

Delightful Jackie these would make wonderful gifts and I love your colour combo,s....

MONICA said...

Super love this g/f...

~*~Patty S said...

Lovely little snowflake boxes you created dear Jackie and in my favorite colors too!
oxo

Gaby Bee said...

Gorgeous boxes, Jackie! Love all the textures and the wonderful colours! Thanks for inspiration.

Have a lovely weekend!
Hugs,
Gaby

aimarii said...

Very nice boxes.

Claudia N. said...

Altering boxes is so much fun and yours turned out so beautifully, Jackie! LOVE them!

Thank you soooo much for your wonderful comment(s) on my blog(s)!!!! I too wish we lived closer to each other and could have some crafting sessions together ( alongside some tea and loads of crafty chatter from time to time)!

You're the best!
BIG HUG,
Claudia XXX

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Jackie, the boxes are gorgeous and this is a great way to decorate them. I have some of these boxes but never get round to doing anything with them, must get them out soon. Thanks for the great idea and the visit to mine.
Happy crafting, Angela x

Susanne Rose said...

They are so so beautiful. I'm totally inspired to do something similar. Today I walked by some raw boxes and didn't really notice them....arghhh. Fab job. Hugs, Susanne.

Darlene K Campbell said...

Your texture and color choices are perfect for these boxes. I'll go over to Altered Pages and take a look. You've certainly been doing some arty work lately!

Seth said...

These are sensational. You have created such a natural looking patina!