Thursday, January 1, 2015

Mixed Media postcards with DecoArt & Altered Pages

                           HAPPY NEW YEAR Everyone! 

How appropriate that my first post here with Altered Pages is on the first day of the new year!! ~ I couldn't be more excited!!
Our January partner is DecoArt-so,I will be showing you some pieces that I have created using both products from Altered Pages as well as DecoArt- sit down with your cuppa and have a read...
ps...photo heavy! teeheehee
My project for you today is creating mixed media postcards to send out New Year wishes to friends near and far- 
When sending postcards, they have to remain thin and also be the size of 4.25 x 5.50 in order to be sent as a postcard. 
 With this is mind...I printed my collage sheets on a thin bright white presentation paper (not photo grade). 
Next, I fancy~cut a large assortment of Altered Pages collages pieces to choose from, I like to mix and match- create a bit of fun!
Collage Sheets I used for this project are ~ 
Vintage now AP 378
A Child's New Years AP 2057
Showgirls AP 963
Vintage New Year AP 2058
 
 I used both preprinted postcards as well as some cut from thin cardstock.
 For my first completed postcard I simply used Nori Paste  to glue on my chosen collage cut outs and then added Gold Opulence Corners and a greeting using my Silver Gel Pen
For my next cards, I used my DecoArt Media Acrylics to create washes for my backgrounds...
 I squirted a drop of each color onto my mat and loaded my paintbrush with water and just swiped the colors across the card. Next,I loaded a smaller brush with water and white paint and swirled random circles as well as splattered the white.

 Each postcard is sealed with a coat or two of DecoArt Gloss Varnish- this gives a beautiful sheen as well as ensures no edges are sticking up from any of the added pieces.
 With these next two postcards I added DecoArt white Media Crackle Paint with a palette knife

 one card- all over and then a wash of Dazzling Metallics~Worn Penny over the white

    And on the second postcard, the Crackle Paint was added at the base to represent snow...

 A close up to show how neat the snow looks with that bit of crackling and it also stayed on the thin side for mailing.
Now, for my next grouping of postcards, I gessoed the backs of each and while they were drying, I filled my Ultra Fine Mist Sprayers with water and a a drop of each of my chosen colors of DecoArt Media Acrylics
I gave each a good shake a spritzed away- some I held upright to let drips form and others after spraying I picked up two of and pushed the wet paint against one another- you can see that the gesso was not dry here and gave another layer of interest to the background.









Hopefully I have filled your muse with enough inspiration to start out your New Year with some fun! 
Be sure to stop back tomorrow and the following days to see what each of the talented Altered Page design team has come up with to inspire you further!!

Jackie")

22 comments:

Unknown said...

Jackie, my dear, happy and creative 2015! Your backgrounds are simply amazing and your collages are absolutely fabulous! Fantastic first post! Loved that huge snowman, he looks so funny ;-)

Pilgrim said...

Jackie, great post and wonderful postcards. You are so very talented. Thanks so much for sharing. Cannot wait to see more of your creations throughout the year.

Win Dinn, Artist said...

Wonderful cards and creativity. That snowman just makes me grin! He looks just like you - waiting to get into some kind of fun!

Anonymous said...

Wau! You have been very busy agan and painted and cut very beautiful cards. It's been very many period to get cards ready.
Have a very interesting and creative new year with Your new croup!

~*~Patty S said...

Thank you for this creative jump start to the new year dear Jackie.
So many great techniques and ideas you've shared!

Happy Happy New Year full of creativity and more!
oxo

PaperOcotilloStudio said...

An inspiring post for the new year Jackie! I really loved the crackle paint with the new penny over the top. That is a great background with lots of texture. Have a fantastic 2015 :)

Teresa Arsenault said...

Thanks for showing all of your wonderful techniques. All of your post cards turned out fantastic. I thought the couple in the last pic were doing a funky dance, until I realized they were sitting on a sofa. :)
Happy New Year, Jackie, and all the best to you in 2015.
Hugs & smiles,
Teresa

Darlene K Campbell said...

Everyone else (like me) is frumping around tired from all of the holiday activities since Halloween and yet you are making lovely postcards for the New Year cheer (and I still have some Christmas cards to mail out.)
Beyond all of that chatter, I adore you and your New Year creativity. My favorite part of your posts are to see what products you are using. I'm making a wish list now. HA ha You've created such a variety...love how you "made" snow. That snowman is delightful.

Seth said...

Great projects Jackie. Anybody would be thrilled to receive those postcards. Looks like 2015 is off to a great start for you!

Valerie-Jael said...

Your projects are wonderful, a great start in the new year. Happy New year, hugs, Valerie

Jo Murray said...

A perfect beginning for 2015. Well done Jackie.

Nancy TeWinkel said...

All great ideas and beautiful as well. Happy Creative New Year!!!

Julie Lee said...

What lovely collage postcards! These are really going to brighten up the New year for those who receive them! It's really nice to see that all kinds of great effects can be achieved even if the card has to be kept thin and flat! Great work! xxx

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a great time creating Jackie. Happy New Year and congrats on your new design team goodness. xox

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Lovely idea to send New Year postcards to friends and family. I take the lazy route and add an extra line of New Year greetings to the Christmas cards, hehe! Love the vintage feel of these. Wishing you endless creativity in 2015, Jackie!

Bev said...

Just lovely hope your year is filled with happiness and love and thanks for making 2014 a special year for me luv ya from Bev and the boys ...xoxo

VickiRossArt said...

Gurl! You have thrown down the gauntlet...no catching up with you now, Mz.Furst :)

Judy Shea said...

Whoa..fantastic cards. Love all the colors and the crackle gives it that vintage look. Do you need my address? Wink.

denthe said...

Your cards are adorable! So many great ideas, thanks for sharing!

Words and Pictures said...

Scrumptious crackle, and I love the colour over the wet gesso - what a great effect. Fab creations, Jackie!

I think (think!) that I used Golden Soft Matte medium to glue my vellum... but I'm not completely sure any more. Sorry!!

Happy New Year to you!
Alison xx

froebelsternchen said...

Fantastic to see all this yumminess!
Great post Jackie!
Happy and exciting new Craft Year to you my friend!
xoxoxo
Susi

Annette said...

Hello gal, so great to see all the creativity here and I know 2015 is gonna be awesome for you. You are a talented young lady and hugs and hugs. xoxoxoxo