Thursday, May 21, 2015

Geisha Charm Lantern





Today I am sharing another upcycled project and this time using M-DHobby&Craft Aluminum Sheet. 
Yes,this is the same cool stuff I used a few posts ago on my springtime fairy atc.



 I started with a lantern I had that was already sporting the worn look I wanted. 
I measured one of the sides of the lantern,multiplied by4 then added a sminch more just in case. teehee
 Using tin snips and checking every so often,I cut my metal sheet(almost perfect)and gently wrapped it around the lantern,being careful not to bend too much;I wanted rounded sides and not hard edges.
 Next,I secured the metal together with a fine piece of wire molded into a latch.
 The next step was to add fine wire for hanging my Geisha's.
 These wires I attached to the inside of the lantern stack using E6000 and clamping overnight. 
(yup, had to pry a clamp off-be careful with that glue-strong doesn't cover it!) 
Each wire was carefully bent over and flipped up at the ends to resemble a hook.
 My Geisha cards were made by using the collage sheet Geishas from AlteredPages.
Also used were specialty Asian papers from AlteredPages. (links shown below)
 Basically, I collaged my Geishas and Asian papers,both front & back,and added gold sticker embellishments. Each card then received a matching grommet and was ready for hanging.
 The hanging charm pieces I used were from a vintage necklace that I have been hoarding for just the right project! 
The photo below,shows a bit of sway from the cards and charms as the gentle wind blew across them.The fine wire gives just enough...
 A few photos at dusk to show off the lantern when lit and it's glorious stained glass shadow effects that the light casts.
 and a couple of photos reflecting the nighttime ambiance the lantern gives.

 Materials used:
AlteredPages~Geisha Collage Sheet
Asian Joss Papers-AlteredPages
Asian Joss Leaf Papers-AlteredPages
Gold Opulence Stickers-AlteredPages
Metal Aluminum sheet from M-D Hobby&Craft
Tin Snips
found  lantern
vintage jewelry pieces
E6000

 I do hope you enjoyed my walk-through and have been inspired to upcycle something used or create something new!!  
Please let me know in the comments below.
Thanks so much for your visit! 
Jackie ")
 

27 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Love what you have made, it looks especially gorgeous on the night time pics. Great recycling. Hugs, Valerie

Karenliz Henderson said...

WOW Jackie this is so beautiful day and night.

Tristan Robin said...

This is so lovely - and a wonderful piece of art that is also utilitarian. Brilliant - I just love it!

Win Dinn, Artist said...

What a wonderful job on this project, Jackie - I love it from start to finish. You've created something totally unique and I'm envious of those wonderful shadows created by your project! xox

~*~Patty S said...

What a gorgeous creation and beaming candlelight too. The way you have attached the beautiful images with the graceful arched metal and tinkling charms is just perfect Jackie!
Thank you for sharing.
I know I have some catching up to with you and your creativity.
Thank you for your sweet note about my friend Lennie.
oxo

PaperOcotilloStudio said...

A very cool lantern...at night it is awesome. You always create with the coolest supplies!

Unknown said...

Awesome Jackie! I love your upcycled projects.

VickiRossArt said...

Love the way the light filters! Great post!

Unknown said...

I absolutely love this my friend! How very creative you are!

Julie Lee said...

I so love this, Jackie. I adore images of geishas and the whole project is enchanting! I really love lanterns, especially as the summer approaches: we often light our garden with tea-lights, candles and lamps. You have inspired me to create some more! xxx

www.deeadamsart.blogspot.co.uk said...

Absolutely stunning love the lantern bet the patterns that get thrown from it are beautiful. X

Pilgrim said...

Wackiest, this Lateran is amazing.

Pilgrim said...

Ok, typing on an iPad is not my strong suit, let's try this again. Jackie, this lantern is awesome. I love it.

Bev said...

This is fabulous what a lovely feature it must make at night when lit ,you clever girl...

Astrid Maclean said...

Wow, what an amazing piece of up- cycling, it looks fantastic, both in day light and when it's lit up! Great use of all those different elements!

froebelsternchen said...

Oh gosh how amazing Jackie!
Congrats on your win of the encausticology course!
Hope you have much fun there!
Saw it at You Tube recently that you are the winner.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness - this has it all! Sooooo illuminating in many ways... just fabulous! j.

aimarii said...

Your lantern. That sounds like a good idea.

denthe said...

Very creative! Love the end result!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

You are so clever Jackie! this looks brilliant when it's lit, love it, Angela x

Words and Pictures said...

So cool and so creative, Jackie - I love the look of that aluminium sheeting so I'll need to check out your fairy next too! How amazing the lantern looks all lit up.
Alison xx

Darlene K Campbell said...

Creative, clever, original, imaginative...damn good! I absolutely love that the gold coins and Geisha cards move with a little breeze. The illumination effects are dynamic!

Candy C said...

Jackie...your upcycled lantern is very cool! I love the Asian feel of pieces and this one really reflects that! You did a fantastic job. I also wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving wonderful comments. They are ALL very much appreciated! <3 Candy

Annie said...

Hi Jackie what a fabulous up cycle. Love the ideas you have incorporated. Very different indeed!

Thank you too for your lovely comment on the AVJ blog.

Now your newest follower
TFS and best wishes
Annie x

Maelchen said...

What a stunning and creative lantern you have crafted here, dear Jackie! What an idea... I must dig in my stash to create something like this, too. You must have a lot of fantasy! Very cool!
Greets from Manu

Stamping With Bibiana said...

love your creation and those Asian cards are just fabulous
bibiana

sarascloset said...

Jackie, Thank you for illuminating us! I love a good upcycle story, and you have done a fabulous job making this lantern! What a beautiful glow it provides! Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving your sweet comment; it's so nice to know someone appreciates my humor! To answer you question about Cloisonne Granules: I really don't think they are available anymore. A friend of a friend gave them to me at least 10 years ago. I have lost touch with her to ask about how to use them, and I have not been able to find them online. I almost sold them at a yardsale, and I'm so happy I experimented with them first! They must be close to what I see on the blogs: frantage', because they give a lovely enameled look, but look like embossing powder in their raw form. They did not seem to work with Versamark when I tried them a couple years ago. Speaking of yard sales, most of my crafty stuff comes from them; this morning I got a big tub full of rubber art stamps--I can't wait to go through them. Oh, and a large Craftsman tool chest to store them in! Now I just need a bigger Closet! Enjoy your weekend! :)