Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Bold & Bright with Andy Skinner and DecoArt


 Today I am entering Andy Skinner's challenge on his blog using DecoArt products.

AndySkinner.org Let there be light!


Andy's theme for his first challenge is:
BOLD & BRIGHT
First coated my journal page in Gesso. 
While still wet,spritzed Yellow,then Magenta and lightly misted each with water.
Next I used a hair dryer to gently push the sprays out while drying them. 
After these were dry,I used the white Modeling paste through a stencil in various areas.
Once the modeling paste was dry,I stamped using Carbon Black Fluid acrylic around my page,then dried with the heat tool.
When dry,sprayed Shimmer Mister White about the page and again more Magenta.No water this time.
 After drying these colors,out came the turquoise Shimmer Mister. I got up close and personal with the turquoise,because I just love this color and wanted it for my primary focal point.
While puddled and still wet,I used my credit card to drag through the Turquoise created extending lines.
 After this was dried the heat tool,I sprayed again, this time with water and tilted the page to let the Turquoise run a bit.
After locating where my words would go,used my finger dipped in Carbon Black to make a smudged circle,for my wording.
When all paints were dry,I used Liquid Glass to accent some of the stamped circles as well as the wording. 


After the Liquid Glass was dry,painted around the word again using Carbon black.Also,drybrushed a bit of the black over some of the modeling paste.
At this point,I had black leftover so,after watering it down I brushed it over the edges of the page and then wiped back off.This made the black show as a gray in small areas of where there was no gesso on the page.  
My final step was to use the Cobalt Teal Hue Fluid Acrylic with my finger,smudged gently over the modeling paste.


Products used:
DecoArt Media Gesso~White
DecoArt Media Mister~Magenta
DecoArt Media Shimmer Misters~ 
Turquoise,Yellow,White
DecoArt Media Liquid Glass~Clear
DecoArt Media Modeling Paste~White
DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics~
Carbon Black,Cobalt Teal Hue
Also used:
Stencil
Stamp
Paintbrush
Spatterbrush
credit card
Finger
Dryer
Heat Tool
Journal 

 Thanks so much for your visit and hope to see you again soon!
 Jackie ")


19 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Bold, bright and beautiful! Hugs, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

Beautiful colors and textures ! An amazing happy page is this!
Happy day my friend!
oxo
Susi

Pamellia said...

Wow Jackie, this is truly gorgeous! Love the vibrant colours against the whites, and the pops of black make for a great contrast! Wonderful texture too! Brilliant page my friend. hugs :)

Dorthe said...

Jackie, it is gorgeous, love the texture with the colors, the fingerdip circle and your word so wonderful surrounded of the ocher painted modelling paste.
Gorgeous colors dear ! xo

Karenliz Henderson said...

Gorgeous Jackie! Definitely bold and bright. I love the liquid glass dots. I keep forgetting I have that must use it more! oxoxoxoxxox

Anonymous said...

Jackie
I love the various textures you achieved and that wonderful drips of colour and the way that the words is so well defined and of course, those LG dots.
Fabulous!
Wishes
Lynne

APG Jamie said...

really well done I wish I could touch it

Julie Lee said...

Fantastic use of colours and textures, Jackie. This challenge is just made for you with your bold and beautiful art style, Jackie. I really enjoyed following through your process. I would love to be in your studio, peeking over your shoulder and I just know I would be really tempted to join in and get painty! :) xxx

Renee said...

Beautiful bold and bright colors, not to mention the glorious textures! Well done, so glad you jumped into the challenge.

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Bold and bright indeed! Loving the textured background with the splotches of colour and the perfectly placed focal point! I'll check out Andy's challenge - sounds like fun!

Unknown said...

This is just soooooo fun - bright and bold - for sure! What a super idea to add the liquid glass. It looks so neat. This reminds me of blowing bubbles with my daughter. If we did it in the sunshine - it looked just like your creation Jackie! The bubbles were all your colors here - just floating around the sky. But then there were the little bubbles to - like your liquid glass that just popped here and there - quickly. This just immediately took me back to those happy memories of fun playtime. It's lovely! Hugs. j.

PiaRom said...

Really love your spread! And I have ordered some Deco Art Products recently too :) Can´t wait to try them out!

Michele said...

beautifully bold and bright, i love it! xo

Candy C said...

Jackie....this is way cool! I totally love the look of a white background with splotches of random bright colors and runs. I try to start out with the stark white background and end up filling in most of it with color. Mad at myself about that! :) This art journal page is just so cool! Thanks for the step by step. Maybe I can try it again and actually LEAVE more white showing! :) LOVE IT!

Darlene K Campbell said...

Oh, I see now...I was over on FB looking at this and I thought you were altering your sketchbook based on Graham Smith's class in Strathmore Workshops. Which reminds me to tell you that Strathmore started last week. Been there yet? Anyhoo, you met the challenge with bright. Have fun filling up the pages. Hugs-Darlene

~*~Patty S said...

Brilliant use of color and textures dear Jackie!
I admire your use of the open space too.
oxo

AppleApricot Wen said...

Beautiful page! I love the texture you added and the bright colours. Wonderful!

Words and Pictures said...

Great bright and bold page - such fun seeing the inks splatter and drip and interact with all that texture.
Alison x

Ruth said...

Certainly bold, certainly bright, certainly BEAUTIFUL! Love the zingy colours! Hugs Ruth xx