Friday, April 8, 2016

DecoArt~ting a vintage Jewelry Box



 

This box has been a work in progress and I am happy to say it is finished and full!
 I only wish these pictures did this justice-the coloring is truly magnificent-in my opinion of course!
 As you may know of me,I like to upcycle/recycle and garage sale/hoard ")
 Well,I got going on collecting these vintage jewelry boxes-they were so inexpensive,well,I couldn't resist! 
  I started out thinking this would be great for my metal steampunk pieces,alas,my hoard is too great, however,mini chipboard and Masonite bits fit beautifully!
So let me tell you about it....
BTW-photo heavy-grab a cuppa!
















 You may notice two different clasps,my first photos were too blurry and I never checked the pics until after I was done creating.
           of course I had another box to sit in for the photo op!
1.Coat entire outside with DecoArt Black Gesso
2.Mix modeling paste,in two parts,with Espresso and Burnt Orange paints
3.Alternating between colors and solid white modeling paste,cover box on all sides,knifing paste through stencils and also random applications of modeling paste with knife. Making sure to overlap and leave texture.


4. After paste has thoroughly dried(overnight) add Crackle Glaze to white modeling paste areas and let dry overnight

5. Apply a watered down version of English Red Oxide Antiquing cream with brush
6. Wipe off areas
7.Repeat steps 5 & 6 several times till desired look is achieved


 8.Apply a coat of Muted Gold mixed with Glazing Medium to entire box,leaving color heavier in some areas
 

Next comes the "fun"part of layering color... after color... after color!
 I kid you not,the colors just kept loading on my brush and dry brushing across the box...
color after color after color... heehee
 
9.Apply layer of Sea Breeze with Glazing medium over entire box,wiping on and off with baby wipe

 
 
10. Layer color by drybrushing over box and textures
11. Alternating colors and shades in various areas to give interest
  12.Add Quinacridone Gold with Glazing Medium and wipe back
13. Continue to add more layers of color.

 I would love to be able to tell you which color came when,however,I was so engrossed in the process and paint was everywhere,that,well,I have no idea.
Have a look at my list of colors at the end of my post to see all that were used.
 14. Toward the final layers of color,focusing on the edges,apply Quinacridone Magenta and Venetian Gold

 I love the back~it looks like Raku pottery
 

 Here I changed up the hardware,using pieces from my"Steampunk metal stash aka Hoard"

 15. Coat hardware with Black Gesso
16.Drybrush Cobalt Teal Hue,Dioxazine Purple,Interference Purple & Interference Turquoise
17.When dry,secure hardware to box
18. Coat entire box first with Americana Sealer/Finish Spray
19.Apply Generous coat of Gloss Varnish
 This part I forgot to mention earlier, while the Modeling Paste was still wet,I push one of my stamps in it...being new to this process,I freaked out at all the paste that was in my stamp and ran and washed it out for fear of ruining it! 
I wish I had used it more first! heehee
 (as you probably know,this process can be done without damage to your stamps!)

 And now we have,my finished stash box,loaded with treasures!
I did spray the inside velvet with a variety of glimmery sprays to continue the flow of color
 Thanks for hanging in there with me and reading till the end! 
 Next up will be the challenges I am entering in and then finally the full DecoArt Paint & Product List.


Today I am linking up with these awesome challenges!
 Please be sure to follow the links to their sites and leave some blog love!!



April Challenge~Trash to Treasure
 
 
 Challenge~Anything Goes

Gypsy Fayer Challenge


April Adventure~Think Outside the Box

Challenge Number#23~Dimension
 

Thanks so very much for your visits and your comments!
 You truly make my world a sunnier place!
Jackie ")


Product List:
DecoArt Paints & Mediums
Americana Acrylics~
Sea Breeze,Burnt Orange,Dioxazine Purple,Espresso,Desert Turquoise,Bluegrass Green
American Multi-Surface Satin~
Muted Gold (favorite color)
 Dazzling Metallics Acrylics~
Venetian Gold
Emperors Gold
Splendid Gold
DecoArt Media Varnish~Gloss
DecoArt Media Gesso~Black
DecoArt Media Modeling Paste
DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics~
Burnt Umber
Raw Sienna
Burnt Sienna
Cobalt Turquoise Hue
Cobalt Teal Hue
Quinacridone Magenta
Quinacridone Gold
DecoArt Media Antiquing Cream~
Patina Green
English Red Oxide
DecoArt Media Interference~
Magenta
Turquoise
Gold
Americana Acrylic Sealer/Finish~
Gloss

Vintage Jewelry box and hardware

Stencils~The Crafters Workshop
Stamp~Katzelkraft Stamps


47 comments:

Unknown said...

A true and breathtaking piece of ART like everything you do Jackie! This is a real feast for the eyes my friend, I simply live this box. The colour combo and the texture is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing, big hugs, Sanda xxx

Unknown said...

STUNNINGLY INTRIGUING AND LUSCIOUS Jackie. I am just astounded by the GORGEOUS mix of wonderful DecoArt colors and textures on your FABULOUS box. I loved seeing all your wonderful pictures and hearing you talk about the process. It's really CAPTIVATING EYE CANDY and in fact, I just have to go back and have another gaze.

Now - for my Our Creative Corner hat.... :).... I can totally see your box at a Gypsy Fayre or traveling inside a Gypsy Caravan. It has all the RICH and VIBRANT colors symbolic of the culture. In fact, I predict - it would be a cherished piece because of all the multitudes of CAPTIVATING COLORS. Thanks bunches Jackie for sharing your marvelous creativity with us. XXj.

Edzellinni aka Linda Edkins Wyatt said...

wow, gorgeousness! In the first few pix I thought wtf is Jackie doing?" But after all the layers I thought, "genuis!" You have such a great touch for color and texture and just the right hardware!

Valerie-Jael said...

Oooooooooooooooooooooh, BIG WOW!! What a wonderful transformation, you have really created a family heirloom here, well done Sweetie! Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

Redanne said...

Jackie, I am completely blown away by the transformation of that plain box into this beautiful work of art! The colours are fabulous and I love the hardware you added, it was just the perfect finishing touch!! A beautiful piece of art! Hugs, Anne xx

Annette said...

Love it girl and what a great idea. I have one jewelry box just like one of these, well before the magic of Jackie has been creating on it. oxoxoxxoxo

Bev said...

Wow great texture and amazing colours esp that pinkish colour it's crazy....

Nancy TeWinkel said...

Beautiful process! I starter a jewelry box in 2011. After seeing your work I feel inspired to finish it:) see what an inspiration you are???? You do such great work.

Chana Malkah said...

This is fabulous work! You did a wonderful job of blending your colors and not getting "muddy!" Nicely organized and beautifully integrated!

Hugz,
Chana

Mona Pendleton said...

Wow! What a gorgeous altered piece of art! Love all the texture and rainbow of colors! Thanks so much for joining along with the MMMC :)

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Ooooh, I love this! I have a similar box - now I know what to do with it! Thanks for the step-by-step, Jackie!

Aimeslee Winans said...

I have no words...except WOW! And thanks for the amazing tute! xoxo, Aimeslee

Pamellia said...

Wow, amazing Jackie!! What a stunning box and functional too! Looks like it came off of a sunken ship and should be in a museum somewhere! hugs and happy weekend :)

Electra said...

This is crazy-good, my friend! Wowzers!!

Win Dinn, Artist said...

Each layer more delicious than the last - what a gorgeous piece, and a GREAT idea! Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!

Unknown said...

Very Talented with amazing imagination to see that transition and possibility of that old dated jewelry box.

toni said...

What A fantastic paint finish you've achieved. Wonderful layer upon layer.. A really great transformation. Thank you for sharing this with us over at Stamps and Stencils! Toni x

AppleApricot Wen said...

Wow, you did an amazing job, Jackie! It came out so great, love the textures you added!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Jackie, this is an amazing piece the colours and texture are glorious. Love it, Angela x

Darlene K Campbell said...

It is like under the sea treasure. Luscious, luscious texture techniques. I love when you take something ordinary and blah and make it spectacular. The dry brushing of color...brilliant. (You're awesome.)

froebelsternchen said...

Simply gorgeousness Jackie! I am totally thrilled about this amazing box! So BEAUTIFUL!

Tincan Crafter said...

Jackie, this is truly an maginificent piece of art. The texturing, the colouring, the alteration - what a fascinating and beuatiful project. Thank you for playing along with us on Our Creative Corner. The colours and the beautiful vintage box would certainly be an item that would be right at home at a Gypsy Fayre. - candice (aka Tincan Crafter) -

aimarii said...

At first I thought you have made so beautiful jewelry box for your diamonds and pearls.
Every woman needs one except me and now I understand that you too need more stash box for your treasures.
Any way your box is so nice and necessary.

Candy C said...

Jackie...this old jewelry box is awesome! I used to have the original version. I wish I still had it so I could revive it into something this awesome! LOVE LOVE your layers of stenciled patterns and crackle. Love the colors you've used and dearly LOVE the end results! You rocked this, girl!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

This box is fantastic!!! Great find and great alteration...before and after the color. I LOVE it!

Dorthe said...

Oh my, what a gorgeous texture, you have created here, - I love all the photos showing all the stenciling and coloring after. Your box is stunning with the crackle, and wonderful effects from the many different colors ,Jackie !!
xxxx Dorthe

sarascloset said...

Oh, my, Jacki! I know you had fun making this! I love all that marvelous, yummy texture and of course, the color is devine! You actually had me at photo #12, 'cause I just love grungy! I learned something new here...I didn't realized you can apply the Crackle Medium over the paste and get such fantastic results! I'm so doing this! Great project, my friend, and I'm just a tinge green with envy over having such a wonderful box to store stash in! Hee Hee! Hugs!

Annette Green said...

YES!! What a fun box this is and functional too! Loving all the texture, crackle and color. Super amazing transformation! Thanks for joining in the Creative Carte Blanche challenge.

Michele said...

oh Jackie, wow, this takes my breath away! i mean brilliant! such careful work you put into it and such a gorgeous creation you've made! love it. xo

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Jackie, just joined your followers. I thought I had already but it seems not, sorry but I'm here now! Do you know if there is a badge for the "Creating and Sharing Mixed Media Group" It just occurred to me that I hadn't seen one. Happy crafty week, Angela x

Julie Lee said...

Jackie, this is so special! You have taken a garage sale piece and transformed it into a unique work of art! I love all those colours and textures! You are an inspiration!xx

Yvonne said...

Jackie...this is beyond fabulous!!! Love the colors and all that yummy texture is amazing!!! Thanks for joining us at Creative Carte Blanche!

SewPaperPaint said...

Amazing texture, the color was a surprise, but a good one! Beautiful creation!

Lisa H said...

Awesome altered jewelry box! wow all those colors & textures are fabulous. Thanks for sharing it with us at Mixed Media Monthly! =)

Dana Tatar said...

Wow! Amazing piece! I love the texture and color of the finish!

Black Swamp Quilt Guild said...

OMG, I HAVE one f those boxes, in pink! I never would have thought it could be altered! Thanks for sharing your steps! Maybe, one day, I'll get up the courage to try this with mine!

Katelyn said...

Wow, that is an amazing project! All of the different colours and textures are amazing! Thanks for joining us on the Emerald Creek Dares Blog!
-Katelyn DT member at Emerald Creek

Gio said...

It is outstanding! Wow such a successful revamping. Gorgeous, scrumptious texture and the hues you got so interesting. I love it!

Cheryl Grigsby said...

Jackie, this is AWESOME! I absolutely love all the layers of texture. Love your tutorial, too, thanks for taking us on your creative journey!

Words and Pictures said...

Wowzer - the amazing textures, the vivid layers of colours - just incredible. So great to see all those photos to follow the process and you're completely forgiven for getting wrapped up in it all when you got to the paint stages!!
Alison x

Unknown said...

This box is Gorgeous!! The layers are awesome. Great alteration!!

Gaby Bee said...

What a fabulous project! This box is absolutely stunning, Jackie! Thanks for all the detailed photos on how to get the look. It's always gorgeous to see how your projects come to life! Love the vivid colors you've used!

Gaby xo

Unknown said...

Love, love the layers upon layers!! Just gorgeous!! I have never thought about using jewelery boxes ... although I do "upcycle/recycle and garage sale/hoard" vintage make-up cases - I may look for jewelry boxes too! Thank you for playing with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Blog!

Unknown said...

What a stunning piece of art! Absolutely gorgeous transformation. Thank you for sharing it at Emerald Creek Dares!
{julia}

Rachel said...

this is just downright amazing! what a great altered case. the texture is freaking glorious! i wish i could reach through the screen and touch it! Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

-Rachel
rwkrafts.com

Diana said...

this is beyond amazing!!! I love every single thing about it and your step outs will totally encourage me to attempt one of these myself! huge fan of DecoArt media line !!
thanks for playing along with us at Emerald Creek Dares!

sarascloset said...

Hi, Jackie! congratulations on your Top Pick at OCC! Well deserved recognition! Hugs!