Monday, March 12, 2018

Charlotte's Garden Nicho


Today,my project for Gwen's Artist Tribe is my use of a Going Global Mexican Nicho,which I have turned into a magical garden for my Frozen Charlotte.

Gwen carries a wide variety Mexican Nichos in her store;with shapes varying from a flaming heart,a hand,and also a Nicho shaped as a Well with a Bird! Have a look here in her online store.
Mine started out this way-beautiful as is,but I love my color!

For those of you unfamiliar with Nichos, I found this bit of information online at Wikipedia.
I chose the Materials part to share:
"Nichos are made of objects that can be easily purchased or scavenged in the home or community. The media are characteristically humble for a religious object, especially compared to the typically ornate icons of the Catholic Church. The shadow box itself is easily converted from a cigar box or other mass-produced wooden container, but can also be constructed from any lightweight wood, recycled tin, or glass. The colorful designs on the box and borders are created not only with paint, but also with sequins, glitter, chain, thread or rope, paper mache, and any small bric-a-brac. Other ornaments within nichos include milagro charms, beads, stones, nails, and other manufactured and found objects."

So now that you know a bit more about Nichos,on with the show!
My first step was to gesso the tin Nicho using black as my base.
While that was drying I started to choose my elements.

Chum got in on it as well,helping my pick out which Chiyogami Papers might work best. 
He loves Gwen's mixed media supplies as much as me! teeheehee

Here I pulled out a handful of my stash of treasured miniatures to use as well as a Frozen Charlotte doll.
Next out came my bags of Turkman Jewelry Parts and a Jewelry Curated Stash Pack from Gwen's store.

This is where the in process pictures stopped as I just started creating and could not stop!
I dry-brushed several layers of Paper Artsy colors,which I will share below,as well as Iridescent Gold and Iridescent Copper over the black gesso.

Once the paints were dry,Chum and picked our favorite Chiyogami Paper from the Exotic Japanese Paper Sampler and I aged it with a watered down coat of Quinachridone Gold.
After the paper was secured with Tacky Glue, using my awl,I punched in two holes behind the Sunburst.Through these holes I hung Gwen's Czech Butterfly Glass Beads which were strung with gold thread. A few other butterfly beads were glued to the back and sides,inside the Nicho.

Next I added a few tiles to the inside base,two were made for me by my sweet internet friend,Felicia Aaron (thank you💜)and the third is a G for garden. 
The tiles made Charlotte's walkway and also gave her a bit of height.
At this point,I added a few bisque flower pieces,a vintage plastic bird and the lovely yellow flower Czech Glass Beads,again from Gwen's online store!
Lastly added,along with Charlotte is her vintage aqua poodle dog! Charlotte's poodle was a vintage sweater pin and now has become her favorite friend,whom she calls Skyy.
door open for better photos




After the inside was complete,as lovely as it was,I decided the outside of Charlotte's Garden needed decor as well.

To the purple flowers,I added some Glossy accents to give them a bit of shine.
Using various sizes of wire and jump rings,I beaded together various Turkman jewellery parts,colorful beads and some of my favorite yellow flower Czech Glass Beads.

 










 
The I remembered that I still had two of these gorgeous peacocks from Gwen's store.
Surely one would be perfect for the top of the Nicho!
A bit of paint applied in layers and a coat of Glossy Accents and this beauty was glued on~Front & Center!
And that completes Charlotte's Garden Nicho
 Pretty magical,don't you think?


Thank you so much for joining me! I hope you found a bit of inspiration and maybe also found a few things you need from Gwen's store! 
Chum and I going shopping again tomorrow!
peace & love
Jackie ")





Products from Gwen Lafleur's online store:

Global Mexican Nichos with Sunburst

Beautiful Butterfly Czech Glass Beads

Fabulous Florals Czech Glass Beads 

Going Global Turkman Jewelry Parts

Jewely Curated Stash Packs

Proud Peacock~Bronze Peacocks Findings

Exotic Orient Japanese Chiyogamy Paper Sampler

Other products used:
 Paper Artsy Fresco Paints in shades of
Glacier Ice 
Beach Hut
Spanish Mulberry
Mermaid
Haystack
Here in the states you can purchase these from
Frantic Stamper 
Simon Says Stamp 

Golden Paints used Iridescent Gold (Fine) Iridescent Copper (Fine) Quinachridone Gold

Ranger Glossy Accents

Aleene's Tacky Glue

Finnabair's Heavy Black Gesso

Vintage stash items-my miniature collection



Playing along with-

Mixed Media World~Anything Goes

Paper Artsy~ Topic#4 Whimsy

More Mixed Media Challenge~Anything Goes with the option of Green
~Have green wallpaper inside the Nicho

That's Crafty~Spring Into Action

Also playing Along with A Vintage Journey~Treasure
 












42 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Oh wow, Jackie, this is so absolutely and truly wonderful, love it all to bits! Well done on making such a beautiful creation. Have a great week, hugs, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

This alteration is over the moon - each detail and the whole Garden Nicho in the end..MY GOSH!
But I guess the most hard work did Chum. Tell him he is a genius! What a buddy- the perfect muse and helper for a crafting artist! You can be very proud of him and of course of yourself!
I ADORE this nicho! Just UNIQUE!

Happy crafting and happy start of spring and a fantastic week for you and Chum!
oxo Susi

artbyjune said...

How beautiful this is! I love all the bits and pieces you used and the final assemblage is stunning. I've never made an assemblage but I always admire them!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous Jackie, I adore,the colours and the peacock is just wonderful. Love the hanging butterflies and the dimension you achieved. Wonderful backdrop too. Beautiful piece. Tracy ❤️

ann barnes said...

Oh Jackie this nicho turned out AMAZING! I love all the jewelry bits and beads and that peacock is stunning! The painted finish on the outside is done so well-I am in Love! Charlotte’s garden nicho is so inspiring!

Karenliz Henderson said...

Just gorgeous. I love how you use all those bits and pieces to create such a fantastic piece of art. You really should teach!!!!!

Kim Collister Studio said...

Jackie, you are trouble!!! This is gorgeous!! Inspired by your beautiful work I have already been to Gwen’s shop twice and I haven’t even made anything yet! The Turkish Jewellery is so inspirational for so many projects, the beads and gorgeous fabrics are to die for and now I just realized I didn’t even get the paper I intended to get. I just got lost in all that beauty. Thank you once again for your steps in such a beautiful piece and here I go again, off tobget paper and maybe a peacock... 😘

Nancy TeWinkel said...

It is indeed magical. Both the outcome and the process are wonderful.

Dorthe said...

So amazingly magical, yes it is Jackie- and I still am thinking of India, when seeing it. The colors the beads, the many details you created, using all kind of things, and papers .
So gorgeous with Charlotte there, too, and her adorable puddle .
Jackie, dear this is stunning, and I see sari`s and blackeyed girls offering something to this beautiful Nicho !!
To an swer your note, yes it is Mathilde`s brother Gustav, whom have been "given" this fantastic chance, so annoying they are not allowed to use their phones to take photos , - on ly on turist places !!!
Hugs, Dorthe xoxo

ArtyDiva said...

Jackie...your creativity is infinite! This is soooooooooooooo interesting, and so beautiful. I am still taking in all the details! I am going shopping too! :D

Margik said...

Wow, Jackie! You always amaze me with your creatives pieces and designs. This is really stunning! The combination of colours and all the details are fabulous.
Mar :)

Astrid Maclean said...

What a wonderful magical garden you have created for Charlotte. Love your colourful boho style, so many amazng details, so much to look at..... those tiles I thought were genious, - stunning work my friend!!

Redanne said...

Charlotte's Garden Nicho is gorgeous, the colours are amazing and I love all the wonderful danglies and the fabulous poodle!! Beautiful work Jackie!! Anne xx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Jackie, where would we be without our helpful friends. Chum is such a clever boy. The Nichos remind me of the little shrines I love to make and I believe their heritage is the same just that they originate from different countries. I just love the way you've decorated it too, brilliant. I have to just mention this as you were wishing the snow would go for me well guess what!!!! we're away skiing Lol! Hee! Hee! Happy creating my friend, Angela xxx

Julie Lee said...

Jackie this is wonderful! I can't begin to say how much I love it! Isn't it marvellous to have a craft helper too! Chum is so creative and kind! I really love the wonderful things Gwen stocks. I so wish I lived in the States (just imagine - we could have creative play days if I didn't live too far away!) because postal rates and then customs duty make it so difficult to purchase from the US too often. Anyway, it's an absolute joy to see the amazing projects you conjure up with gorgeous Chiyogami papers and embellishments and this shrine is just perfect! I love how you added colour. The combo of your imaginative flair and Gwen's products is a marriage made in heaven! :) xxx

Jeanne Draachreider said...

Beautiful Jackie
I love the colors and all the details . And the peacock...love, love love!

Edzellinni aka Linda Edkins Wyatt said...

Wow wow wow! It never occurred to me to paint a nicho, and you did a beautiful job. Your decorative accents are such fun, especially the peacock. Well done!

Cocofolies said...

This is awesome Jackie!!!
Stunning altered art using bits and bobs to alter this frame without interest at start... and I adore your Peacock standing proudly at the very top.
Well done to you! xx

denthe said...

How fun! I never heard of Nichos, but after reading your information I can only imagine this is the perfect substrate for you to work on, with all the embellishments and colours. I am most in love with her poodle. So cute :-) But really everything is just amazing again Jackie. I love all those beads and pieces hanging from the sides, and the peacock is the perfect addition on top. Well done! Wishing you a wonderful week filled with creativity! Hugs ♥

geezercrafter said...

Amazing creation, so imaginative. Love the peacock, he is so handsome. A piece of art to ponder and gaze over....

aimarii said...

Artist Jackie, you are lucky girl when you have Chum as assistant!
The box changed in your hands to the stunning treasure chest and the peacock keep guard. Maybe you have hidden your gold rings and diamonds inside somewhere the box. Can you trust the peacock?
Any way this work of your is so marvellous, that my imagination got the wings...

Sugar Lump Studios said...

Jackie, this is just beautiful. Every detail. I love the colors that you selected as well.
Bravo!

Claudia N. said...

LOVE love love, Jackie! You've really managed to take the lovely nicho to the next level and beyond! Love the colours you've chosen and the embellishing - and the little frozen charlotte is just perfect as a focal piece. Absolutely inspiring, my friend!!!

Hugs,
Claudia xxx

Anonymous said...

Fantastic Jackie, you've created an amazing piece! xox

Kate Yetter said...

Your Nicho is gorgeous! The colors, the beads, that frozen Charlotte...it is all magnificent together. The background paper is my favorite though. I hope that you have a special place to display this. :)
Kate

Hazel Agnew said...

Such wonderful detail Jackie. Love the colours and all of your marvellous ideas. X

Win Dinn, Artist said...

What a truly stunning project, Jackie, and that peacock to finish it off it exquisite. I love it that Chum is so eager to help. Please tell him from me that he did a marvellous job! xoxox

Roosterhead Designs said...

Such an extraordinary piece you have created here Jackie!
I really appreciated your story about the "Nicho" as well~
Beautiful colorful work - so authentic to it's name : )
The crowning jewel is amazing too.
I'm glad I found your blog again! (long story)
Hope you have a great day~ Take care, karen o

Little Artbee said...

OMG what a wonderful Artwork, it looks great what you did with the Nicho. So much lovely decoration details. I'm excited!
Happy weekend
Hugs
Sabine

Lucy Edmondson said...

What a wonderful and colourful nicho! I love the peacock on the top. Please can Chum come and play with me!

Lucy x

Darlene K Campbell said...

A friend came by for lunch today and she's seen your work on FB so I showed her the magazines you are published in...and we sat and sipped tea while I shared stories of how talented you and hubby are. This is brilliant Jackie. I love that you used the tiles a friend made you...shouldn't have put that dog in because I want him. (ha ha) I'll take that other dog too, the one with the real fur face. Love you Jackie and your work is so YOU...spectacular!

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Wow, you've really jazzed this up to the max Jackie! What a wonderful transformation! A very unique project and Chum is just adorable!

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Amazing piece of artwork Jackie, so full of luscious colour and those embellishments are truly magnificent. Thank you so much for sharing and joining in with the That's Crafty Challenge. So HAPPY I got to see this stunning creation.
Creative wishes Tracey

Meihsia Liu said...

This is such a stunning creation! The color scheme and the all the embellishments on this piece are fabulous. :)

Michele said...

I am thoroughly inspired by this gorgeous creation! xo

Dorthe said...

Dear Jackie, just wanted to tell you, - also as DT for That`s Crafty, that I adore your amazing creation, it is fabulous -
Thank you for adding it to That`s Crafty Challenge , sweetie , you are a star !!!
Big hugs from Dorthe, xo

SewPaperPaint said...

I have hoarded one of these nichos for about a decade! I love it so much and can hardly stand to alter it for fear. How silly! You've done a bang up job with this beauty and I love your addition of the beautiful color and elements. Well done ! Hugs, Autumn

Pamellia said...

AMAZING!!! What a transformation! Love the colours, as always you really mix it up and brighten it up! The butterfly danglies are brilliant and the charms you added to outside are so beautiful! How much do I love that you included a wee puppy and birdie!! Chum looks like such a doll face, so adorable!

The weather here has been so dull and grey, I would actually call it a complete lack of weather!! No sun, no rain, no snow, just grey, grey and more grey. Good thing I have tons of new crafting supplies to play with. lol. Still haven't brought myself to pick up my camera, but I did take a walk to the lake the other day to check out the gazillion seagulls that were making a ruckus. lol. Well I hope you have a great week my friend, sending hugs :)

sarascloset said...

Wow, Jackie! this is so COOL! It's like looking at someone's treasure chest. I love that you used the Frozen Charlotte doll. It looks like a real old one, too. TREASURE! Which leads me to the fact that you should enter this into A Vintage Journey's Treasure challenge! I hope you had a happy Easter! We stained the deck and started cleaning off the screened porch. It was like summer out there! Hugs!

Julia Aston said...

What a mystical magical creation Jackie! I love all the colors and wonderful little trinkets you used on this - thank you so much for sharing it with us at A Vintage Journey! Julia xx

Words and Pictures said...

A treasure trove of colour and imagination, Jackie - what a wonderful transformation of the frame into an enchanted alcove. Brilliantly done!
Alison x

Brenda Brown said...

I love how you pulled out lots of wonderful treasures to create this amazing and beautiful nicho Jackie. I love it. Thanks for taking the time to share it for our fourth birthday celebrations at A Vintage Journey. Hugs Brenda xxx