Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Journaling my art adventure~Reaching for stars...



Here with a Tribe post this morning,I am sharing a page from a special journal I am making titled "Reaching for stars..."

This first page for my journal is one very special and close to my heart as this was made using photos of my published art as well as many of my favorite products from Gwen Lafleur's online store
 You see,I became an Art Tribe member of Gwen's within days of learning about my artwork being published.So to me,this became the beginning of my new journey of Reaching for the stars.
I have a few beginning photos of where I started but soon was lost in the creative process,and once again,neglected the"during"photos! 
However,I am going to walk you through the best I can,but beware,very picture heavy post here,so fill your cup now!

I like to use my saved package boards as substrates,so this one received the gesso treatment on the front and back.













When it was dry I applied torn layers of Gwen's peacock feathers tissue paper she wraps her store packages in.This was applied with Decou-Page.I did not wait for this to totally dry before adding a coat of Paper Artsy~Glacier Ice.The harsh look of gesso was not the background I wanted,instead I found the soft greyish blue hue of this color to be more to my liking.Once it was on,I wiped back areas with a moist towelette.
And that's where the in process photos ended!
After this was thoroughly dry(I used a hair dryer)out came  Gwen's Ornamental Peacock Feathers Stencil from her Ornamental Collection.
I picked this stencil because I just love the way Gwen designed these feathers,almost organically,with clean and simple lines. You'll see how beautiful they look as I continue.

Up first,I mixed modeling paste with Lindy's Magical Powders in shades of teal and turquoise.
I varied the shades of Magicals as I needed more paste. 
When all the feathers were on and dry,next came the additional colors.

What I did next was to spritz the edges lightly with water and using Infusions from a shake of the powder on the table,I worked the colors from the outside in with a paintbrush and spritzing more water as I went.
The Infusions worked almost like watercolors.
oh how I wish i took in process photos for you!
When pleased with my color play I added a bit of random stamping  with a script stamp and left to dry.
 Then came the placement of one of my gorgeous Irresistible India Sari Scrap Embellishment pieces. I sewed this onto the center of the substrate using a straight stitch on the sewing machine.
 Before placing my pictures,I decided to add some gold to the stenciled Peacock Feathers using Lindy's sprays,again with a paintbrush and lots of water.
At this point I also edged my art pictures with the same gold,just enough to give them a glimmer and take away the harsh edges.
The gold from the sheer Sari Scrap compliments the gold edges of the pictures so well as does the shimmer from the gold on the feathers below!
After this came the auditions and placements of my graphics and additional Sari Scrap Embellishment.
And yes,I am still head over heels in love with Gwen's Sari Scrap Embellishments!
 just can't get enough of that beautiful stuff!! LOL
Once I was pleased with the layout,I adhered the pictures and the pearl embellished piece of Sari Scrap with gel medium. 
   How I just love those beautiful Peacock Feathers of Gwen's surrounding my artwork.
I made sure to leave the fraying edges of the Sari Scrap,as I like the imperfectness of these pieces.
While the gel medium was drying,I set about to use pieces from my stash of Going Global Turkman Jewelry parts.
 I also pulled out some beautiful glass beads in coordinating colors and attached these with jump-rings to the Turkman Jewelry chain piece I decided upon.

 I secured this strand and beads to substrate using very small gauge wire and knotting the wire on the back.(the back will be covered when it is added to the journal paper later on)
This next photo shows the way the sun shimmers and shines on these beautiful Turkman parts~
how gorgeous is this!
 Here,I stamped this quote from my stamps from Lynne Moncrieff,then edged it in gold and adhered this to the bottom of my page.
 and lastly I adhered a few tiny glass seed beads to parts of the canvas using the small gauged wire again. 
And so begins my documented art journey~this page is now ready to go onto a page in my journal.
 A dear artist friend of mine Renee Zarate once told me to be sure to record my published pieces and keep some kind of a scrapbook.Renee told me,she wished she had done this. So,following her advice,I have made sure to purchase extra copies of the Stampington magazines I been published in for this purpose.The pictures used on this journal page are my artwork,cut from the 2018 Spring edition of Stampington's Somerset Apprentice, which I am so grateful and honored to have my artwork in.
 And this ledger journal that I found at a garage sale last summer,will hold all of my special art journey pages.
 




 I have not yet decorated the back & cover,but have now created my first journal page.

  Hopefully I have inspired you today to go make some beautiful art!
 I also hope that you will continue with me on my journey and return for future posts!
Wishing you a day filled with sunshine and creativity!
Peace & Love
Jackie ")



Playing along with:
Art Journal Journey ~ Spring! ~ my faeries represent Spring
Creative Artiste's #36th Challenge

More Mixed Media Challenge - "Anything Goes" optional Green

Paint Party Friday!

 Mixed Media Monthly Challenge #46
my three mediums used are,Modeling paste, Infusions,Magicals and a stencil!





Products from
 Gwen Lafleur's Mixed Media Online Store:
Ornamental Peacock Feathers Stencil
Irresistible India Embellished Sari Scrap  both from the Blu-Green package and Blue package
Going Global Turkman Jewelry Parts 


You still have time to shop Gwen's anniversary sale at her store! 15% off till the 28th! hurry in!


other Products used:
Reaching for stars stamp from Lynne Moncrieff  Affirmations #1
CWS Light & Fluffy Modeling Paste
Lindy's Magicals ~ Shabby  Turbine Teal,Time Traveler Teal, Tibetan Poppy Teal
Lindy's Starburst Spray~ Golden Sleigh Bells
Infusions~ A Bit Jaded, Violette
Paper Artsy~Fresco Finish~Glacier Ice
DecoArt Decou-Page
heavy matte gel
Small gauged wire
Scissors
gesso
seed beads
ornamental glass beads























31 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful art using delightful colours and textures, a feast for the eyes indeed - well done! great that your lovely creations were published by Stampington's, too. Continue having fun with your creations which bring joy to so many of us! Hugs, Valerie

Darlene K Campbell said...

Jackie, I get "lost" in your art so easily. This is gorgeous and I am already imagining how seriously crazy this art journal is going to be when you finish. It will be fantastic...a textural, colorful art book and a story of you and your art journey. Good idea Renee had to keep your publications scrapbook. Cheers- (Oh yes, I need to ask you about the acrylic mousse I saw advertised on your page.)

Edzellinni aka Linda Edkins Wyatt said...

How beautiful and ethereal! And what a great idea to keep a journal of published work. Live the Turkmen parts with the extra beads too (hmmmm...some look familiar, lol)

Dorthe said...

Dear Jackie, you alweaYS inspire, me with your amazing creations.
This so much too. With you it is never a single stamp, or two, but art pieces glowing with special stamps and materials, like this one, with the beautiful feathers, and your own amazing art works, form the feature. I always try to take time, looking very closely on your photos to see the layers, and the beauty.
I will so enjoy to follow you on this travel, Jackie , good luck ahead, dear friend. Hugs, Dorthe

peggy gatto said...

Wow, what a joy to see your pages and hear about the details, lots of layering and attention to details, beautifully made, thank you for sharing your tips!!

ann barnes said...

This is a stunning example of why the stars are within your reach, absolutely beautiful art, so heartfelt and so inspiring! Jackie, being a member of Gwen's tribe definitely is a wonderful fit for you, you create magic with those sari scraps and the stencils are such a great pairing with your vision. I am awestruck by this page, your artwork originally spoke to me when I saw it published and this has brought it all back to life again even more beautiful than before (if thats even possible!) you deserve every bit of honor you have received, congratulations again xo ~Ann

Julie Lee said...

What a glorious post full of texture and colour! I love to use Gwen's packaging tissue too!I really don't know where to start with commenting on all the beauty here - the sari scraps, the Turkman beads, the stenciling: it's all so wonderful and so beautifully combined. Happy Easter to you and those you love, Jackie. Thank you for bringing so much beauty and colour into our lives. xxx

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

What a lovely idea using photos of your published art, very clever. I adore the rich mix of colours . The stencilling adds beautiful texture. This is truly a wonderful inspirational piece. Tracy ❤️😘

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Jackie, no art for me today as I've been to my parents today, took my mum shopping. I must say I love the colours you've used here, gorgeous layout too. I think Gwen is lucky to have you and equally I think your art work has developed so much too using Gwen's gorgeous goodies. I look forward to many more wonderful pages of delight. Have a great week full of creativity, Angela xXx

froebelsternchen said...

Your art is such a delight and so unique and all your details and love makes it so special and AMAZING!!! This page is so terrific and beyond beautiful again with so much gorgeous texture and amzing details - such specially "Jackie" touches to it! I like that you started a special journal for published art! A great idea and very clever!
And I really love to see your wonderful page linked to Art Journal Journey dear Jackie!
I appreciate this very much! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Happy week for you my friend!
oxo Susi

Redanne said...

From the beautiful peacock stencilling to the gorgeous sari embellishments... this project is absolutely stunning Jackie, I love everything about it, it is inspired! Gwen was so right to choose you, you are a wonderful artist! Hugs, Anne xx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Jackie this was just what I needed to see today with is luscious colours and richness of golds, your embellishments are tremendous. A beautiful way to display your beautiful artwork. I have so many odds and ends, Sari silks, ribbons and trims that I collect like a magpie, occasionally use in jewellery work but mainly just hide away, I think you have encouraged me that they need to be displayed for others to see, just like I have enjoyed your delightful piece.
Creative wishes Tracey xx

Kate Yetter said...

Jackie, this page is stunning! I too wish you had taken in-process photos but I totally understand about getting carried away in the moment. That is one of the reasons I stay away from DT's that require step-by-step tutorials. How can you interrupt the creative process?
So, your background is just mesmerizing with all the stenciling, color and shimmer from the sari and beads. I also love that you used memories that are artwork as the focal point. This is going to be one amazing journal when complete! I can't wait to see more.
And just so your know, I am still eagerly awaiting more pages in your Irresistible Sari Scrap journal. ;)
Kate

Theresa Merkling said...

What a gloriously beautiful work! Inspired me to shop Gwen's site and order some whatnots for projects for myself. Thank you for the detailed explanations - sure helps get an idea on how these amazing creations come together.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was immediately immersed in the way you allowed this page to unfold with words instead of photos. I took in every word and detail, appreciating everything you did to turn this into a true work of art. I was thrilled you chose to share this with us at Art Journal Journey, Jackie.

JKW said...

There is a lot of inspiration for me to take away. I love the different pieces you use in the art combining them so beautifully. Blessings, Janet

Roosterhead Designs said...

OK This is nuts- this is gorgeous Jackie!! I am in awe when I see and here you explain all the processes and steps you used to create such beautiful pieces of art.
Each layer adding it's own lovely part; with texture and color.
Sincerely, your creativity is amazing~ Enjoy the journey :) hugs to you, karen o

Gwen Lafleur said...

Love this Jackie! Such a great idea for an art journal, and I'm really digging the colors and textures on this page! So cool the way you used the Infusions and the Magical Powders... I'm taking notes ;)

artbyjune said...

Beautiful! I love the use of texture paste and Indian sari scraps! I feel the need to see if I can find such materials here!

Rosie said...

A very beautiful project.

Thank you for joining us at ART JOURNAL JOURNEY

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

It's funny how we can get lost in the process and forget to take photos...love that! This cannot be for a journal...it needs to be framed and exhibited! So uber gorgeous...the pics and all the elements!

geezercrafter said...

How proud you must be to have some creations published. Fab way to keep a 'record' of your creations. There is so much interest in your creation, this needs to be looked at everyday and admired.

Margik said...

What an amazing project, Jackie! Love all the textures and details you added on it. The combination of colors is really beautiful. A great work and so inspiring!!!
Mar :)

Win Dinn, Artist said...

I am all over the colour on this - so stunning, Jackie, and your friend's advice about keeping a record is terrific. I wish I had done more of that during the years. You'll be glad you did! Happy weekend, my friend. xo

Anonymous said...

Wonderful dimensional layers all over this piece!!! xox

sirkkis said...

How very gorgeous and beautiful is this, Jackie!
LOVE all of its wonders.
Have joyful Easter holidays oxo

denthe said...

I honestly don't know where to start Jackie. There are so many beautiful details in this journal page. First of all I LOVE that peacock feathers tissue paper, and especially the way you used it. Using modeling paste with that gorgeous colour on the peacock stencil is a great find too. I love teal and turquoise. And then all the embellishments and the beads all add to that overall beauty. You did it again! Great idea to keep a scrapbook of all your published pieces. I'm sure many more will follow! Keep creating dear friend, you do it so well ... Hugs xxx

SusanLotus said...

This is amazing! Stunning artwork! Love it!

Farbtraeumerin said...

Dear Jackie, thanks so much for sharing the process!! This page is beautiful!! I love the colors and the way you arrange all the pieces to come together. That´s so inspiring!!
Love ♥ Kinga

Pamellia said...

Wow Jackie, this is just so gorgeous! I get such a magical feeling from this project. All of the amazing blues and purples with the peacock feather swirls and swooshes, the fantastical images of angels and fairies, the glitter and glam creating shimmer and sparkle... I just get whisked away to a magical land of imagination and whimsy! Such a stunning work of art my friend, love love love!! hugs :)

Words and Pictures said...

I agree with Pamellia - the peacock colours and shapes, the magical creatures, the shimmering light and shadows all add up to a glorious piece of artwork. I love the texture paste mixed with the Magicals - what an amazing effect. Beautiful!
Alison x