Friday, June 20, 2014

Layers and Layers and Layers- oH mY!

Thanks for stopping by- here it is Friday already- geesh times flies when one is layering with Artistcellar's stencilsgrin  I have lots of photos to share and explanations along with them- so lets get right this Friday post started !!
photo taken outdoors just before this post

For this week I started with a previously made hardboard substrate-which I really didn't care for-
will call this...Layer 1

Layer 2- After scoring the board and folding in half- I began applying pieces of handmade paper with a matte gel medium   
 










Layer 3- apply thin coat of Gesso





Layer 4-Lightly brush over Luminarte Silks in Persimmon

 













Layer 6-Stencil with Weave of Artistcellar's Japanese Geometric Series. Next I added another layer of  paint-Luminarte Silks~Stargazer gently brushed on;as well as a few random stampings in Luminarte Silks-Golden Monarch 

Layer 7 Apply a layer of Ranger/Tim Holtz Distress Crackle Paint Clear Rock Candy - let cure over night
Look at that crackle texture- I love it!

Layer 8  Added (one of my favorites) another layer of stencil -Tortoise of Artistcellar's Japanese Geometric Series
 I used Paper Artsy - Fresco Finish Acrylic Paints~ Mermaid and Vintage Lace
Gorgeous colors!!
I added the frescos here as I needed a more subdued look for where I was headed...
 On a separate piece of rice paper I did a color wash using Paper-Artsy--Fresco-Finish-Acrylic-Paints~Vintage-Lace then stamped out a bunch of images to use on my piece. Then I distressed some edges by tearing and adding Ranger/TimHoltz-Distress Ink-Vintage Photo- to some of the stamped pieces
Rice paper with Fresco wash
  Here is a list of the stamps used:
Butterflies- KaiserCraft
ID05- Ink and the Dog- Paper Artsy
Mercantile CMS189-Stampers Anonymous~Tim Holtz 
 Inks used:
Ranger Archival Ink- Jet Black
 Ranger Archival Ink-Wendy Vecchi-Cornflower Blue
 Ranger Archival Ink-Wendy Vecchi-Hydrangea
Tsukineko- Archival Brilliance-Pearlescent Sky Blue
 Tsukineko-VersaFine-Black Onyx
StampingUp-Brocade Blue-(no link found)

Layer 9  Next I added on my stamped ephemera and other embellishments.
Disclaimer: The butterfly wings are Found in nature objects- No Butterfly was hurt during the creating of the piece of Art! ") 

 Layer 10 - Using a paintbrush I painted on Glossy accents on Tortoise-of Artistcellar's Japanese Geometric Series  to give a bit more height and texture


                                                                         






As you can see, I have added many close-ups- this is because I wanted you to be able to see all the great layers, color and textures happening
                                  ~  The finished piece  ~
photo taken indoors


          Hope to see you again- Jackie")   
                                                                        

17 comments:

Joseph Cuccurullo said...

Joseph Cuccurullo: Love the layers and the texture. Have you tried plaster, gesso cost to much.

Unknown said...

I love this Jackie! Wonderful layers and thanks for all the close ups, definitely inspiring me!

Karenliz Henderson said...

Jackie, love all the texture in this. Gorgeous.

Unknown said...

Amazing Jackie, I loved all the layers, the more layers the better it is ;-)

Jo Murray said...

A superb background. Thanks for the info.

Darlene K Campbell said...

Jackie, Almost forgot it was Friday as I have been illustrating all day and freezing strawberries and rhubarb for Thanksgiving pies (Am I off the subject?)
Anyhoo,what a project. I LOVE to build layers and you had some unique processes going on. Lovely my friend. (Need to ring you...)
Cheers-Darlene

Bindu said...

Beautiful work Jackie. Thanks for all the pictures and explanation.

froebelsternchen said...

Beautiful is this- gorgeous layers ! wow..
and I love your chickens below!
Happy weeend - happy PPF!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic layering. Like those patterns you chose...good stencil fun. xox

Unknown said...

Gotta love those layers! Very earthy looking and lovely, Jackie!

Annette said...

wow love all the texture and layers here girl. you are so good at telling us all you did, I need that. oxo

Bev said...

Beautiful love that mystery stamp and so happy you have not started killing off the butterflies lol

Stamping With Bibiana said...

yes indeed lots of textures great project...
bibiana

Pilgrim said...

Wow Jackie, love all of the layers and the results. it is really beautiful.

Julie Lee said...

Ooh,if there's one thing I love more than anything about crafting it's layering both with different textures and with stencils! Then it's such fun to look at the layers other artists have added on their projects too. I love the stamp you used as your focal point on this piece and that butterfly wing looks amazing! A glorious, textured work of art with some fab stenciling! Julie Ann xxx

denthe said...

Wow, that are quite some layers! Love seeing the process!

Karla B said...

I love learning with you! Great work, my friend!