Friday, June 6, 2014

Mini Virtues

     Everybody's working for the weekend! hmm... sounds like a song-
                                   Hello and Happy Friday!
Artistcellar has been at it again with NEW Mini Pocket Stencils!
For today's post I chose to create with the MINI VIRTUES Stencil Set.   
     Let's get right to it! By the way, you get to see the good and the bad today...As for my usual, I began with one idea and...well...

 To start, I used these 4 coasters I had in my stash, and covered them with some scrapbook papers.

From there I went on to stamping, embossing and coloring in on each coaster...
 Next came the new Mini Virtue Stencils! I mixed up some modeling paste with some Titan Buff paint and layered through the stencil. 
 Is this where my camera battery died? Sorry- there are no in process photos-argh!
So, when the words dried, out came the pens and...hang on it gets really ugly here! 
   I don't know what I was thinking because- black and white pens were not working for me!! (come to think of it, neither was that red coaster!)

Then I thought,hmm,apply a glaze of Quin Azo to make the whole piece cohesive...looked nice- but the pens still weren't working, so after several different blips and blunders...


     Decidedly, what was really going to work- were new stenciled words...this time using Wendy Vecchi's Clear Embossing Paste(faster drying) with gold paint mixed in and then carefully palette knifed through the Virtue mini stencils onto new coordinating paper.
   After the paste had dried, I outlined the words with Dr.Ph.Martin's BombayIndiaInk~VanDyke Brown on the shadowed side of the letters; then gently tore around all of the words. 
I used Ranger/Tim Holtz Distress Ink~Vintage Photo on my mat with water to age the papers, then again the same Vintage Photo Distress Ink applied directly to the edges of the torn papers for more aged appearance. Each word was then glued over the existing words with matte gel and a final coat of matte gel was applied to the whole piece.
                            Where did the red coaster go?   
Ahh~yes,the red coaster~One of these things is not like the others... can you guess by the time I finish my song!  
Around 11:30pm, I said to myself, that red one isn't working, so...

                      What I now have is a lovely matching set of 4!
       Thanks for coming along on my bumpy journey today! 
                Jackie ")


17 comments:

Karenliz Henderson said...

Jackie, these are gorgeous. I just threw away some old costers! I usually keep everything.

Renee said...

These are beautiful Jackie! They almost look like they're made out of clay. Very cool re-use of the coasters.

Unknown said...

Oh my, I love this Jackie, the colors, those mini stencils, the stamps and your composition, it's just so perfect!

Kay Wallace said...

Absolutely AMAZING art, Jackie!

Annette said...

they are beautiful and I love the colors you used. Mini stencils, what will they think of next? Love the textures also. Way to go my friend. xoxoxo

Annette said...

they are beautiful and I love the colors you used. Mini stencils, what will they think of next? Love the textures also. Way to go my friend. xoxoxo

Julie Lee said...

These are beautiful. I love the colours, the images - especially that dear little wren - and the texture! I have some little coasters waiting to be altered! You have totally inspired me! Thank you for sharing EVERYTHING! It's such a privilege to be invited into the process so wholly. xxx Julie Ann xxx

Felicia said...

Jackie, I just LOVE these! I love those mini picket stencils! Got to have them!! :) Beautiful work! Thank you for this wonderful inspiration!

Bev said...

Perfect fix they turned out great..hope they are all hung together for a great effect and colours are wicked happy Friday on Saturday lol

Darlene K Campbell said...

I love how you can write songs while you create.Inventive second stage on making that red coaster disappear. (It's almost like magic.) Perfect example of not giving up HOPE, and having FAITH that you'll come up with new ideas. Appreciated seeing the process...even the stages you didn't like. They came out beautiful and cool that you recycled coasters.

Chesley said...

Thank you for sharing, Jackie! These are darling-I love small works of art all grouped together, such a wonderful effect.

froebelsternchen said...

wonderful Jackie.. they look fab!

Anonymous said...

Love these mini coaster makeovers. you've turned them into mini canvases besutifully. xox

Maggie said...

These are beautiful, Jackie! How resourceful to use those old coasters (I will have to stop myself from throwing stuff like that away in future ;-)) Then what you did with them is perfectly magical!!

Dee Spillane said...

Beautiful!

Candy C said...

Jackie!!! These are so awesome! Your art is wonderful! I wanted to say thank you for the nice comments you left on my blog! <3 Candy

Heather said...

very cute and I am a huge fan of telling the WHOLE story. Mistakes help us learn how to remain fluid. In the end they are gorgeous and that is all that matters.