Thursday, June 12, 2014

Repost for Buried Treasure Project by Seth Apter

                                    
       Thanks for stopping by- today's post is a redo of one of my favorite past blogposts.  Hey! don't click next just yet, keep reading a bit more...
            Why-would you repost you ask? well, let me tell you...
  In 2009 the awesome Seth Apter ~ The Altered Page started his really cool online Buried Treasure Project. 
        (that's the 6th annual,in case you didn't do the math! teehee)

      Read all about it here- in Seth's own words...
"Welcome to Buried Treasure: an online, collaborative project that invites art bloggers to go into the depths of their blogs and dig for buried treasure. Each participant was asked to repost one (or more) or their favorite posts from their own blog. There are so many brilliant artists out there but so little time to explore all their work fully. This gives us all an opportunity to see highlights from posts we may have missed from so many of our favorite bloggers!"

    Make sure you stop on over to Seth's blog~ The Altered Page and discover Seth, (if you haven't already) as well as a host of other wonderful Artists/Bloggers!  I am sure you will pick up one or two more great blogs to follow and or super artful eye candy for inspiration!! 
 
  A HUGE - Thank you! to Seth  for creating such a cool online sharing project!

 and now, on to my Buried Treasure post....

          Found ~ Mixed Media Treasure Box

          Friday's girl, Jackie here, with my weekly post for Artistcellar

        Here it is Friday once again! And can you believe it? A new set of stencils to play with- Artistcellar’s~The Quasi Crystal Series!
For my piece I created, titled “Found” , featured are Fibo & Infra; two out of the four new Quasi Crystal stencils.
  To begin with, I used a round box which I covered in black gesso. When the gesso was dry, I added an all over coat of StewartGill Byzantia~Agean. Once that was dry it was time for the first stencil layer- I used the Fibo first- I love this one- it reminds me of that computer game called Wiggles-have you ever played it?  Sorry about that, a bit off track there…for Fibo,  I pounced StewartGill MetaMica~Meadowgrass around the box and lid as well as on top of the lid.
step 1
 Next I scuffed up the top, using a small wire brush. Then I made a very thin glaze using LuminarteSilk~Plumeria  which I glazed over the top of the lid only.
roughing up
And then, it was on to Infra! What a fun stencil! I could stencil these  little popdots all over! Which I did, all over the lid of the box that is. For this I again used LuminarteSilk~Plumeria . I also applied the Infra stencil around the sides of the box (not full coverage). Then to age/distress it all a bit, I took my handy-dandy baby wipe and swiped here and there and wo-la! A touch of VivaInkaGold~Orange around the edge.
     The last thing to do was add my embellishments and final touches… 
I used older stash items- such as these metal flower pieces from Graphics 45 (I don't think they are available any longer). So, what I did was, I had previously rusted a these metal flowers and just added a bit of color to each ascending petal. The colors I used were BaroqueArt-GildersPaste~Patina , Rub'nBuff~GoldLeaf and InkaGold~Orange  I kept most of the rust and just added hints of the colors. I attached all of the flowers as well as the acorn cap with a piece of wire that went down through the lid of the box.



This is what my table looks like while deciding what to do next...You see I had a whole other vignette' picked out to go atop the box- , but changed my mind mid attachment-fickle artist!

 Inside the lid I adhered a poof of fabric(to give the Tufted look) and then covered it all with another piece of silk.
 The rest of the embellishments included the round cracked piece of glass,(found on a walk one day) and natural lichen,acorn top, and seashells- all of which came in that lovely package my sissy sent me a few weeks ago..thank you Julie- I love you! (Tim too!)

                                         Jackie ")

14 comments:

Renee said...

This is gorgeous! I'm glad you reposted it.

ann said...

Oh Jackie what a cool project and the little treasures hidden in the beautiful box xoxox

Julie Lee said...

That was such a beautiful box, it's really great that you featured it again. I love the glass bead with a word and the lovely cluster of embellishments on the lid! What a brilliant concept 'buried treasuer' is. Julie Ann xxx

Bev said...

Great choice ,this is a gorgeous container that now has personality and a urge to open it to see the treasures inside ...love Seths work ave a good one with Chum and the chicks oh and Riley too lol

Unknown said...

wonderful box to hide treasures!

Pilgrim said...

This is a wonderful repost. Love the process and the outcome. Thanks so much for sharing.

Jo Murray said...

I loved this box first time round and am delighted to see it again.

Patti Edmon Artist said...

Wow, what a fabulous box! I'm starting to use stencils more and you create gorgeous effects! Thanks for stopping by and Happy Buried Treasure:)

Craftymoose Crafts said...

My goodness, this is gorgeous! Thanks for digging this one up--it was fun to read the process. I have three mache boxes on my desk waiting to be decorated. You've inspired me!

Raylee said...

hi jackie,
thank you for commenting.
you have inspired me use some of my junk collection to decorate, the box is gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Nice to "meet" you, Jackie. Enjoyed looking through your site and seeing your work. Buried Treasure! Lindi Stevenson, Art in Real Life

Unknown said...

Stopped by from Buried Treasure, and enjoyed getting to know your work. Nice to "meet" you...Lindi Stevenson-Art in Real Life

GalleryJuana said...

Amazing shots of the work in progress. I loved seeing it go from canister to woW!
Thanks for the buried treasure visit.

And your flags post tutorial is wonderful too. I love those kind of old book finds, and inspiring way to use materials.

Gráinne said...

Hi Jackie, thanks so very much for your visit, following and your lovely comment. I aplogize for being so late, have a madhouse at home these days :-( I so love this box, it's absolutely gorgeous! And the embellishments are very lovely, great job. Thanks for sharing this. Suzanne xx