Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Vintage Cage Doll making weekend with Sherie

This post is long overdue, but finally ready to share!
Back in the March,my art and soul sister and girlie friend,Sherie came to stay for the weekend. In true Sherie fashion , she had "an absolutely,scathingly, brilliant idea!"* for a project to create. 
I should mention,the week before hand a giant box arrived in the post that I did not open till she arrived,but it was killing me not to peek! heehee
When Sherie was here,we did our usual,hugging and talking over each other with excitement,snacking,setting up and then unveiled the parcel's treasures(sure wish i had photographed this part).
 The treasures inside consisted of 2 of each:vintage tomato cages,Styrofoam bodies and heads and two cool crowns. Sherie scored the vintage tomato cages at a sale and knew instantly what to do with them!! Lucky me!
Yes,the idea was to create very large Santos or cage type dolls.
So without further ado...here are the photos I did get of our weekend of creativity! and there are a ton! So grab a BIG cuppa!

  this is where it all began...
 these are the only 2 in process photos I have of my doll
 











on to my finished Vintage Cage Doll
 the photos are taken both inside and outside because of the lighting.
 I tried to show a bit of each area,ok,more than a bit really ")
 
 
 Vintage sheet music worked perfectly here!
 
 Gold Tulle around the head to give a sense of mysteriousness.
 I secured it with vintage sequins and straight-pins.
and some gold tulle poufs for the top of her skirt
 
  this is Bead Gel by Liquitex- very cool stuff to work with
 
You may notice the artwork on her body.This was from the canvases I had published in Stampington's Apprentice this spring. I enlarged the photos and printed them out,then applied with matte medium.
A few years back, my sister Julie sent me a huge box of these beautiful shells she had collected from the beach in South Carolina. I was so pleased to be able to use them on my doll- I can't wait to show her this post!

The chain is from a vintage hanging light, which is attached to the top and bottom part of the cage.Then I wrapped wire on the four cage sides and wove it through the chain,from one side to the other.


 Putting my vintage laces to use,which I stiffened with Americana Fabric Stiffener by DecoArt
 I tore small strips of vintage ribbons and tied them on the wire and hung more prisms in between
 The vintage prisms were a garage sale find-off of a couple of broken lamps
 and these glass pieces holding the prisms?
 Glass Cocktail stirrers!
 Another garage sale find-a box of 100 for$1.00!!!
 I was feeling the diamonds for her face
 the cocktail stirrers actually secure the crown as they are pushed down through the Styrofoam and glued in place.
 


now onto Sherie and her doll!
 
  
she was smart,she wore gloves, I did not "(
 
 Sherie was having problems with her head...so Riley cut some off! LOL
 Beautiful Sherie and beautiful Frida!
  Riley came through with some copper parts that worked beautifully for Frida's corset!


 Bits of vintage jewelry and Frida quotes.
Here are used coffee filters that Sherie turned into beautiful flowers surrounding the skirt!

 





 










Frida's vintage under skirt was I garage sale score from Washington last year! Love my garage sales!
That face! Sherie is so talented! and the rose on her head!


 




 

















                                             
 and finally,Sherie and Chum having a stare down,
because Sherie climbed on Chum's bed
 
 Chum got her back with sloppy wet kisses! heeheee


I know this was a long post, but I do hope you enjoyed the journey anyway!
Thanks so much for your visit! I'll be by to return the visit soon!
Peace&Love,
Jackie ")




The * above is a quote from Haley Mills in the movie,"The Trouble with Angels" my all time fav!

23 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahhh dear Jackie - what a wonderful post. And what an INCREDIBLE doll! Dear me... I can't even imagine undertaking such an AMAZING project. Both of your dolls are just GORGEOUS. It's so neat that they are so very different but yet so very much like their maker! I don't know how you thought of all the WONDERFUL details for your lady. My favorite parts??? Just everythin!!! The shells are so perfect for making her "figure" quite alluring!!! Plus they are sooo lovely. The use of the "crystal" - sticks and prisms - FABULOUS with the crown. I bet it makes a lovely halo of light for her too! Oh, I could go on and on but will end by saying... YOU are so talented!!! I continue to admire your UNIQUE and FUN CREATIVE ABILITIES. I love that you stay true to your precious quirky self!!! All my love, j.

Nancy TeWinkel said...

Way cool!!! Love the process and outcome.

Karenliz Henderson said...

WOW WOW WOW WOW AMAZING DOLLS! They are gorgeous. It's amazing how you two feed off each other and create such amazing pieces.

Astrid Maclean said...

Wow, wow, wow, Jackie, what can I say.... I saw this on Instagram and so glad to get the full picture here! What a time the two of you must have had, and the results are simply outstanding!!! Amazing work my friend, and Sheri's Frida doll is stunning too! Thanks so much for sharing both of them!

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

What a unique and unusual project - absolutely fabulous! You girls must have had a ball working on those dolls. If it had been me visiting, I don't think I would have had a chance to create anything because Chum and I would have been all over each other LOL!

ArtyDiva said...

Well, let me tell you........I am at my most creative self when I am with Jackie. Yes, Karenliz, we do feed off each other, and the possibilities seem to be endless!! And the love and time we share together are truly blessings! I knew Jackie would have the best bits and bobs to fancy up our dolls. Could you imagine the looks on the faces of the post office peeps if they would have scanned that package I sent to Jackie - styrofoam heads and torsos and those cages? hahahaha Little did they know what "we" would do with them!! :D That Chumski (my nickname for him) and sweet Riley are just icing on the cake! Riley loves joining in offering his help and ingenuity. The best zen-home ever! Thanks everyone, hugs! I will be posting Frida on Instagram, I touched her up a bit when I got her home! Jackie, I love you!

Valerie-Jael said...

Wow, Jackie. Your creations are over the moon fabulous, you clever and talented girls must have had a real blast here, well done. Hugs, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

Not just that the two of you had a wonderful time together and even Chum enjoyed it but your both dolls are incredible- oh my gosh --- such brilliant ideas and amazing details!
I am totally in awe of this fabulous dolls! So well done - such unique art pieces! So much thought behind the art!
I am really happy you shared it with us!
Kisses to you my friend!
♥♥♥♥
Love from
Susi

Renee said...

Wow! The faces on these two are both amazing!! I love the differences in style, both are equally gorgeous. I so wish I could come up there to art with you!!

ann barnes said...

These dolls are stunning and both so creative! I love how sherie created a frida, and the corset and flowers-ahhhmazing! Your doll is just as fabulous! That a wonderful way to incorporate the lighting materials, I LoVe the crystals. I have never seen that bead gel before, looks very cool! Your creativity always amazes me Jackie!
Thanks for sharing what looks to have been a phenomenal weekend! Art on! hugs~Ann xx

Nancy said...

Wow, Jackie! Super cool projects! How tall do they stand? I thought they were ginormous until I saw Sherie beside her's! They're just fabulous, and must have been SO MUCH fun to create! Thanks for sharing the process! I'm going back to look at them some more! :o)

Redanne said...

Gosh Jackie, all I can think to say is WOW!!! It was not until I saw Sherie doing hers that I realised how big these dolls are, how incredible and what a wonderful project for you to do together, both dolls are absolutely stunning.... I will say it again... WOW!!! Hugs, Anne xx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Oh boy Jackie what a mammoth task, so much detail and so cleverly posted to wait until later on to show us exactly how big they were. I’m not sure I could have contained myself waiting to open the box!! Magnificent play each so fabulous and a bargain buy this those cocktail stirrers. So glad you shared with us all.
Big hugs Tracey xx

Annette said...

oh love it all, I use to have a head like that a million years ago. why didn't I save it until I read this post? lol Thanks for showing how yall did this fun project xoxoxo

Win Dinn, Artist said...

I goodness, I am dripping with envy here. What a fabulous pair of creations these are, and so totally different in feel and beauty. You are a dynamite pair!!! I love each of them, and know that they will be treasured for years to come. Well done, both.

Margik said...

Wow Jackie! Both projects are absolutely amazing! The faces and all the details are fabulous.
So inspiring job!
Mar :)

Kate Yetter said...

WOw! These are very creative and wacky cool creations. What a fun use for all those unusual finds. Prisms, tomato cages and glass cocktail stirrers... who buys those? Only a mixed media artist. I love how you enlarged your art to apply to the body of your mannequin. Just loving it! Well done, Jackie!
It the Art Barn your studio? Looks like a very inspirational place to create.
Kate

Dorthe said...

Dear Jackie,
so much happy creative time and wonderful results to see here today, too.
Amazing what you both created from the things your friend, brought with her.
And all you have used of things from your own stash , makes her, a very special,
and gorgeous Jackie doll- the art and crystals- all the details, oh and all the fun you have had together. '
They are both so fantastic, dear friend.
Hugs, Dorthe xx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Great project Jackie. It's ages since I've seen any cage dolls made and yours is brilliant. What fun you must have had making her. How lucky you are to have a friend to work with, I've said it before but I am so jealous of you both and hope you have many more chances to work together in the future. Happy creating, Angela xXx

Terri Kahrs said...

OMG, OMG, OMG!!! These are FABULOUS!!! I'm so happy you posted all of the details of your amazing creative journey! Your dolls are truly spectacular!!! The post may have been long, but I wished it had been even longer!!! ♥

sarascloset said...

Let me just say that THIS IS THE POST OF THE YEAR! Holy schmoley, Jackie, I love what you have done with your doll--the details are so creative--those shells! Wow! And I love the way you've used your pages from your Apprentice publication (CONGRATULATIONS!!!!) for her bodice and that fluffy skirt...oh, I could go on and on and ON! And Sherie's doll is so beautiful, as well! Ya'all must been LYAO! Sending hugs!

Lynda Shoup said...

Jackie, it looks like so much fun to have a play weekend with you. This was a really fun project for the two of you to do together. So much wonderful detail. Very fun indeed.

MaRyKaY said...

Wow what awesomeness. I have quite a few of those tomato cages. I’ve got to mock you guys and give this a try. Gorgeous. Looks like I’ll be tying the tomato plants to wooden sticks this year. Thanks for sharing.