Friday, July 18, 2014

Ding Ding Ding -Clang Clang Clang goes the dinner bell!

   Fridays gal, Jackie ,here with a quick fun Upcycle!

Our house is quite a distance from our pole barn so instead of one of us hollering or walking out leaving the cooking dinner unattended- simply ding ding ding, or clang clang clang goes the dinner bell!
  Here is another score from a garage sale; this great clanging dinner bell-but I'm not fond of the present appearance...so out comes the gesso...
 two layers in fact and a third mixed with a wee bit of color



 next, stencil Artistcellars Steampunk Lace, WendyVecchi Translucent Embossing Paste and Stewart Gill ~Pauashell paint for some random stenciling

now,a layer of Stewart Gill~ Verde Gris color overall applied with a makeup sponge
  With a wet applicator, I wiped off color from the embossed areas to expose the previous layer of color


Another overall layer of Stewart Gill ~ Afterglow color, again wiping off embossed areas to reveal bottom color


Next I painted the clanger with Stewart Gill~Laurelius  and added a Hot Off The Press Pocket Watch stamp
 I continued random stamping of Ranger Ink/Tim Holtz Stamps-clock faces overall to the bell in black and sepia inks. Add a few more smudges of color here and there and a final spray coat of outdoor varnish.
    Hope you enjoyed this quick tutorial- get out to some sales this weekend and see what you can upcycle!

           Jackie ")

26 comments:

Joseph Cuccurullo said...

This is so neat it makes you want to recycle.

Karenliz Henderson said...

Jackie, that is so cool. I love it. I must try some of those paints. Thanks for the inspiration!

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Fantastic idea Jackie!! nice texture..

Unknown said...

Seriously?! I L-O-V-E this so much! As I was reading your description of the process, I did not see the layer of bronze put on which I see in your finished piece. Can you tell me what paint you used for that? And is embossing taste kind of like a good gold Viva decors? I.e. you just rub it on and it becomes shiny? Another fabulous piece Jackie!

Unknown said...

awesome! well done!

Unknown said...

That's a great project Jackie, love that steampunk style on the dinner bell, and actually more loved the idea of a dinner bell. I remember my Grandfather, my father's father who used to be an aristocrat but deep in his blood, he used to keep a little bell on the table and even later when he had my grandmother only, he used to shake it if he wanted to have something, hihihi... funny memories.

Nancy TeWinkel said...

This is positively delightful! I love how it turned out and it is not just beautiful, it serves a great purpose! Nothing worse than yelling for your hubby! This is a much more classy way of getting his attention:) You could make a code. Like one ding for phone call, two dings for dinner, and three dings for dessert :)

Elly said...

Looks like you had fun. I couldn't use that bell, because my neighbours would fall out of their beds. No distance where i live (:o) But makes me thinking about South - Germany (Bavaria) where they are using cowbells. My daughter lives there...:o))

Unknown said...

That looks really cool .love the way it looks

froebelsternchen said...

You altered it fantastic ... amazing look Jackie!

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

LOVE the look with the copper...KUDOS!

Unknown said...

It looks great Jackie, wonderful re-purpose!

Bev said...

Oh my that's one wicked bell , love how you have gussied it up makes me just wanna ring it lol

Edzellinni aka Linda Edkins Wyatt said...

Super cool! Love the colors and the steampunkiness.

Darlene K Campbell said...

Stewart Gill needs to make eyeshadow too. Luscious and creamy looking product.Thank goodness you got rid of the Ghost...Boo!
Your transformation of 3-D pieces continues to amaze me. I love the idea of a dinner bell! I bet Chum comes running too.

MONICA said...

JACKIEEEE MY GIRL....I so LOVE this....awesome job...what time is dinner???? hehe
love you girl
x0x0x

Julie Lee said...

Oh wow! What a big improvement, Jackie! I love the transformation you worked on this and what a great idea it is. It must feel wonderful using this, knowing that you worked your own special magic on it! I love recycling! Julie Ann xxx

denthe said...

This looks great! The addition of the copper makes it perfect .....

Unknown said...

Hey chickadee, I'll be right over for Dinner, love the bell!
Nice work girlfriend:)
Hugs marilou

Margik said...

Fantastic altered and great textures. I really love it.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic transformation of the casper(who thinks of that stuff anyway?) bell. Now it rings proud. xox

Anonymous said...

Fantastic transformation of the casper(who thinks of that stuff anyway?) bell. Now it rings proud. xox

Kay Wallace said...

If only my grandmother had had one of these "back in the day!" Brilliant idea, even today, Jackie. Love all the crisscross texture attained. Super cool project!

Unknown said...

Love it!! Your tutorial is so easy to follow... and the finished piece is beautiful! Nothing I love more than clocks and gears... :)

Karla B said...

This is cool, Jackie! Loooooooooooooove it!

Annette said...

oh what a great way to do a dinner bell, you know I have a wind chime that hasn't aged well could do the same thing. You are indeed a great inspiration. xoxoxo