Thursday, October 30, 2014

Rich colors and rusting the Past

        Wow- can you believe it is the 30th of October today?! 

                    Time flies-and Rust never sleeps...





Recently , I pulled out some  journals and decided it was time to fill in the unused pages-

 















 

 The first couple of steps consisted of tearing ,cutting and adhering clock faced paper with Decou-Page Matte sealer-I saved a few of the faces for later. I did some stamping on another sheet as well- The Muse of Future Past and Domino Shrine stamps are both from Lost Coast Designs
and the I Will Soar ,wing stamp, is Pam Carriker's

Next I applied a coat of Americana Muted Gold along with glazing medium-keeping the color heavy in some areas
 Now for my colors- all which were mixed with glazing medium.
White, Paynes gray, Phthalo Blue(Red shade) Quin,Magenta and Americana Dark Scarlet

 

Next I used modeling paste mixed with the Muted Gold along with
 stencils from Seth Apter- Urban from his new series and his Past Present Future

 After the paste had dried , I applied DecoArt Worn Penny using my finger to the raised areas of modeling paste, giving these areas a rusted look. At this point I also used the Dark Scarlet  along the right and bottom edges.
 Next, a wash of Quinacridone Nickle Azo Gold was applied to the page.
close up of textures and layers

Time to add my stamped images which I colored  using Distress Markers- apparently- I forgot photos!  As you can see in the photo above, I stamped 2 shrine arches,one lighter than the other and layered them off center. The muse was added on top of these. For the wings,which I added the clock face to; I decided painting them white would give a nice contrast to the overall page. 
And then to finish, I added some outlining and shading. 

  Truly the colors are much more rich in person, but after about 30 photos, I just picked the best of the lot! 

Thanks for your visit-and are you dressing up for Halloween?
bwaaaaaa hahhahaaaa! 
I am- i'm going as a cool art chick! teeheehee 

Jackie ")






Linking up with

Craft Hoarders Anonymous-Challenge#18
SimonSaysStampWednesday Challenge


29 comments:

Win Dinn, Artist said...

Love seeing your process (and imagining it where you forgot to take photos - shades of myself there!). Love the richness of the finished piece!

Karenliz Henderson said...

Beautiful page! I love all those colors together.

Janet Ghio said...

Gorgeous page!!!

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

A great chronicle of your process!

Unknown said...

Loved it Jackie, the collage and then the colours, and than the patine, wow, it looks fabulous!

Renee said...

Stunning work, Jackie! Love the patina.

Unknown said...

Beautiful Jackie, I love all the texture and colors!
Hope you wrist us doing better:)
Hugs Marilou

froebelsternchen said...

Fantastic look Jackie! Adorable cover!
Thank you for sharing all the steps with us!
♥♥♥
Susi

lost coast scrapper said...

Love all the texture and the colors are awesome! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

~*~Patty S said...

Very exciting to see your creative process and I salute you one extra for being able to spell out all of your steps (sometimes I don't where I've been when making something LOL)
Brilliant end result to your page!!!
oxo

Kay Wallace said...

I absolutely love this journal page, Jackie. Sweet muted gold color just draws the eye. Made me smile that you used Seth's new Urban stencils (love mine)! Big fan here!

creative lady said...

Love the colors and textures you added to the cover. Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

Jo Murray said...

Hay Jackie...you do well to remember to photograph each step. Thank you for that. LOVE your work...and the many layers.

Bev said...

Time flies and Rust never Sleeps ...did you make that up its brilliant I love it and I love your work ,thanks for sharing
Luv ya

Anonymous said...

Yummy, scrummy texture and jewel colors. xox

Julie Lee said...

Truly beautiful work, Jackie. Glorious colour and lovely images. Thank you for sharing your process in your own, wonderful way! Julie Ann xxx

Edzellinni aka Linda Edkins Wyatt said...

Fabulous. I need to check into those glazes you use...

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Gorgeous Jackie, happy Halloween, Angela x

1CardCreator said...

This is gorgeous, love all the beautiful texture and background too! Thanks for stopping by to leave me a sweet comment too. ~Diane

Seth said...

Love this page Jackie. The color palette is absolutely stunning and the textures/layers are wonderful. I bet it is even better in person. Thanks so much for using my stencils in such a creative way!!

Teresa Arsenault said...

Scrumptious colous and shine. Just love this. Thanks for sharing you process.

Glenda said...

I just adore all the wonderful layers on your pages! Thanks for taking us along for a quick review of the process. Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Wow! I just love this! The color palette is so rich, and the texture and layers are mesmerizing!That background is a work of art! Thanks for sharing it with us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

Mandy said...

Gorgeous journal page Jackie, I love the colours.
Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
hugs
Mandy xx

Darlene K Campbell said...

I apologize Jackie for not seeing this post sooner. Just sent you an email asking if you've used Americana paint...I should've known you had that in your stash too. (ha ha) And I was wondering how you got Seth's stencils so fast...he had them for sale at the retreat didn't he? I have all of his stencils and need to get these too. You do such a fine job of posting the "how to" steps for your work.I adore RUST so this piece talks to me. Cheers-Darlene

Gloria Stengel said...

Beautiful work and stunning colors! Thanks for playing along with us a Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

Unknown said...

I love what you have created Jackie. Thank you for sharing.

Karla B said...

Simply adorable!

Micupoftea said...

Wow- love the colors you used! Fun techniques and cool outcome :)