Friday, April 18, 2014

Found - Mixed media Treasure box






          Friday's girl, Jackie here, with my weekly post for Artistcellar


        Here it is Friday once again! And can you believe it? A new set of stencils to play with- Artistcellar’s~The Quasi Crystal Series!
For my piece I created, titled “Found” , featured are Fibo & Infra; two out of the four new Quasi Crystal stencils.
  To begin with, I used a round box which I covered in black gesso. When the gesso was dry, I added an all over coat of StewartGill Byzantia~Agean. Once that was dry it was time for the first stencil layer- I used the Fibo first- I love this one- it reminds me of that computer game called Wiggles-have you ever played it?  Sorry about that, a bit off track there…for Fibo,  I pounced StewartGill MetaMica~Meadowgrass around the box and lid as well as on top of the lid.
step 1
 Next I scuffed up the top, using a small wire brush. Then I made a very thin glaze using LuminarteSilk~Plumeria  which I glazed over the top of the lid only.
roughing up
And then, it was on to Infra! What a fun stencil! I could stencil these  little popdots all over! Which I did, all over the lid of the box that is. For this I again used LuminarteSilk~Plumeria . I also applied the Infra stencil around the sides of the box (not full coverage). Then to age/distress it all a bit, I took my handy-dandy baby wipe and swiped here and there and wo-la! A touch of VivaInkaGold~Orange around the edge.
     The last thing to do was add my embellishments and final touches… 
I used older stash items- such as these metal flower pieces from Graphics 45 (I don't think they are available any longer). So, what I did was, I had previously rusted a these metal flowers and just added a bit of color to each ascending petal. The colors I used were BaroqueArt-GildersPaste~Patina , Rub'nBuff~GoldLeaf and InkaGold~Orange  I kept most of the rust and just added hints of the colors. I attached all of the flowers as well as the acorn cap with a piece of wire that went down through the lid of the box.



This is what my table looks like while deciding what to do next...You see I had a whole other vignette' picked out to go atop the box- , but changed my mind mid attachment-fickle artist!

 Inside the lid I adhered a poof of fabric(to give the Tufted look) and then covered it all with another piece of silk.
 The rest of the embellishments included the round cracked piece of glass,(found on a walk one day) and natural lichen,acorn top, and seashells- all of which came in that lovely package my sissy sent me a few weeks ago..thank you Julie- I love you! (Tim too!)

Jackie ")




    21 comments:

    Unknown said...

    I love how that came out Jackie, great textures and colors!
    I remember those flowers. from G45, Ha I'm sure there are some in my stash somewhere, sound familiar?
    Happy Good Friday and Happy Easter!
    Hugs Marilou

    Sarah (wonderstrumpet) said...

    It is beautiful! Awesome mixes of grungy colors with bright vibrance!! It's not showing on the artistcellar blog, though :(

    Stamping With Bibiana said...

    great post TFS
    bibiana

    Unknown said...

    Jackie, it's amazing, I love the way you colored your box and the way you arranged your embellishments on it. Great project!

    Bev said...

    Oh it's beautiful I did something similar years ago when I did Folk Art was called marble effect we used a feather lol now there are stencils lol just gorgeous ...

    Julie Lee said...

    Wow! This is gorgeous! I adore all the texture and those fabulous embellishments on the lid! Terrific work! Julie Ann xxx

    Marjie Kemper said...

    Beautiful! Love the way you did the top, especially.

    Anonymous said...

    sweet, love the found button. xox

    Darlene K Campbell said...

    Jackie, this is fantastic. My favorite part is the handmade flower on top. And the word "Found" definitely adds to the charm of this box. I could see this particular stencil(s) being used with modeling paste. Fridays on your blog is becoming quite fun!

    Deann said...

    Gorgeous your "Treasure Box" really is a treasure in itself wonderful work...Bravo!

    Jackie PN said...

    Marilou, The stash is slowly being de-stashed!! heehee

    Jackie PN said...

    Ruth, I tried two or three arrangements before i decided on this! Glad you like it too!

    Jackie PN said...

    Thank you Sarah, Bibiana and Bev! :)

    Jackie PN said...

    Corrine and Marjie- thanks for your comments- yes, I definitely dig the top also and Corrine, the button piece is glass with a chip at the top- too good to not pick up!! heehee

    Jackie PN said...

    JulieAnn- thank you so much for your lovely comment! xoxo

    Jackie PN said...

    Darlene, so glad you are inspired to come up with other ways for these stencils! and I think the top is a fav!! hope to see you during the week too! heehee

    Jackie PN said...

    Thank you Deann! You are a treasure for stopping! xo

    Mary C. Nasser said...

    What a lovely project and tutorial, Jackie!
    Wonderful Buried Treasure!
    All the best,
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    Anonymous said...

    Love this repost. What a great idea, and the found word is inspired. xox

    Darlene K Campbell said...

    Popped in again from Seth's Treasure Hunt. This was on one of my favorite pieces you did too.

    Artsnark said...

    what a fun upcycle - thanks for sharing