Friday, April 11, 2014

Prayer Flag

                   Can you believe it is Friday again?!!
      Last week, in my DEBUT, (can't help myself!) teeheehee  post, I was rambling on and on about practicing with the new Sacred Heart Series Stencils at Artistcellar.
     So this week I decided to use a practice piece in a new project.  First I layered my paper with a mix of Gesso, Liquitex Basics- CadiumYellow Medium Hue and a hint of Golden Burnt Umber Light and dried with my heat gun. 
   For the stencils, I mixed some color with Liquitex Flexible Modeling Paste and used a palette knife to apply it where I wanted it.


  

   My husband said he really liked all four of these together , so I thought hmmmm, what could I do with these, keeping them together but dressing them up? And then it came to me...

    I cut apart the four hearts and fancy cut around each one. 
 Next I used a sheet of manilla folder paper and marked off the size of each stencil- 6x6. 
  Then I sprayed a background of Lindy's Stamp Gang ~ Glory of the Seas Gold Starburst Spray. After that, I smooshed , yes, smooshed!  Lindy's Stamp Gang~ Tibetan Poppy Teal along the edges of each square. So much shimmer! I love it! 
  After I was pleased with the effects, I glued down each of the hearts into their own square.
DSCN8892 DSCN8893 DSCN8931   
    Then...it was layers of sprays and paint till I finally achieved the color scheme and look I was happy with !           
  Next, was to apply a decoupage medium that would hold up outdoors. I used Royal Coat Decoupage Finish, as I have used in the past on other outside projects and it holds remarkably well. I found this on Amazon.
   On the reverse side of the piece, I added torn up pieces of Mulberry paper with decoupaged medium as well. This gave added strength and a canvas feel. And it also looks rather nice!
lDSCN8939 DSCN8934 
  The next step was to separate the blocks and distress the edges. I used my Tim Holtz Distresser  thingie...teeheehee
  To the edges I then added a blend of watered down Golden~ Naphthol Red Medium and QuinacridoneNickleAzoGold. Then I glazed each piece with Golden's QuinacrodoneNickleAzoGold.
DSCN8937 DSCN8942 DSCN8940
   Now,  the only thing left was to punch holes at the bottoms, I used my Cropadile  and add Sari silks. After that I stitched a piece of Sari silk across the tops of the squares joining them together. Spacing is around 1.5 " between. 
 I have no photos of these steps, as I had such a time threading the needle on my machine that I lost track and finished up without them ...so Sari!  heehee   I know-bad humor! ")


~Hanging in my Zen garden in my yard is my finished Prayer Flag~

    
     ~ thanks for popping in and have a glorious Friday! ")

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet. I really like them together as well. xox

Renee said...

What a great idea! Love the look of the banner.

Win Dinn, Artist said...

Love the look of the flags - rich and light at the same time!

Judy Shea said...

These are beautiful, Jackie. The colors and spirit.

Unknown said...

I love Prayer Flags Jackie, those are great! geez what happened to the week, seems like we just spoke!
have a great creative weekend!
Hugs Marilou

Unknown said...

Jackie those flags look great, especially hanged up in the garden, I look at the photo and I feel like they have a strong radiation of positive energy!

Darlene K Campbell said...

So "sari"...you're nuts. Your Blog is dangerous grounds for me because I keep seeing new products listed that maybe I'm tempted to try. I am going to make a prayer flag now. (Well, not right now.) This is another awesome and creative way to use those stencils. Has Chum tried to tear the flag down yet?
I'm loving sharing Friday art with you!

Unknown said...

I really like them all together too. What a wonderful addition to your garden!

Jeanne Draachreider said...

Hey Jackie -
Very cool prayer flags and technique. I'm going to have to give some of this a try one of these days!!

Julie Lee said...

What a great idea this is! It must look really nice in your garden. Julie Ann xxx

Bev said...

Lisa sure knew what she was doing choosing you as a team designer ,what a wonderful idea nd they look wonderful hanging like that ..you keep it up and you will be team leader, thanks for sharing ...

Jackie PN said...

Oh my word!!!
How wonderful to open my mail and blog to see all of your wonderful comments- I am truly grateful and thankful for all of you! You make my heart swell! Beautiful days and creative wishes for you all!

johanna said...

a wonderful way to use these great stencils! love your prayer flags!

Deann said...

I like prayer flags and these are the nicest ones I have ever seen great job.

Marjie Kemper said...

Super idea. They are great all together.

Karla B said...

This is super cute Jackie!Lovely details!

Jackie PN said...

Thank you Johanna, Deann,Marjie and Karla! everyone of your comments means so much to me! Hugs ")

Annette said...

Love what you are doing gal. They are awesome and I know you are enjoying this so much. xoxox