Friday, April 25, 2014

Reclaimed Seed Box for - My Master Gardener!

                                  Happy Earth Week!

     In honor of Mother Earth, my project this week was to upcycle, recycle or reuse something I had on hand. It really did not take me long to remember that I had this box I had found at a yard sale, ummm at least 4 years ago!  (can you say,hoarder?) heehee

   Well, anyway, with all of the planting and such we have been doing lately, I said to myself, Self! what an excellent idea! -(crazy mind at work here- she talks to her Self ALL the time)The idea self, moi', came up with was to doll up this "find" into a real cool seed box for my hub! 
   Again, I went into my stash and pulled out some great vintage labels and seed packets that I bought off ebay, ummmm, err, about, okay 6 years ago... yeah, but, when I bought them I always knew I was going to use them in a really cool piece for hub- my own Master Gardener. So what if it took 6 years to figure out just how! (again, can you say hoarder?) teeheehee
                                  So on to the project at hand...
    First thing was to cover the box in black gesso. After that I started strategically placing and adhering my beautiful vintage ephemera.
   The graphics on these pieces are so vibrant and colorfully gorgeous!! Another great thing is the labels and seed packets are all local to our area-one of the reasons I purchased these.

     Next came the stenciling. I used TCW Mini Art Deco Leaves by Julie Fei Balzer &TCW Mini Fancy Feathers by Rhonda Palazzari.
      The paints I used for the stencils are Luminarte Silks-         
  Lime,Olive Vine,Sunburst,Pretty Peridot,Ginger Peach,Teal Zircon


    Next I distressed the edges with a sanding block and used-
Ranger Products-Tim Holtz-Distress Ink Pad- Vintage Photo on all of the edges I scuffed up.
     I added a few more bits of ephemera-Honey Bees for pollination and butterflies for their beauty in the garden! 
                           A final coat of sealer and it's a wrap! 



  My Master Gardener, Riley, all around awesome and wonderful husband, loved his new seed box and insisted on a photo with seeds in it...so here is your final photo!
  I have to say this is a new favorite- don't you just love the way those Silks shimmer against that black gesso?! Yummylicious! 

Now looking forward to getting those seeds in the ground! ")

As always,so glad you joined me today-all the best to you my friends

22 comments:

Janet Ghio said...

I love this!! and that leave stencil is way cool!

Stamping With Bibiana said...

great project...love the sahpe of the box and how you used the stencils...
hugs bibiana

Unknown said...

Jackie love your vintage seeds photos and the stencils with the silks paint was a great choice, looks lovely!

Karla B said...

Wonderful project my friend.

Nichola said...

Love it! It's wonderful :)

Darlene K Campbell said...

Well, I'm not going to call you an artsy hoarder anymore if this is the kind of thing you have stashed away.I love that you've had it for 4 years and suddenly it is something fabulous for hubby. And the fact that you had vintage seed packets to use...makes it perfect. The paints used and stencil...brilliant. This could be used for storing bills, stencils, drawings!

Jackie PN said...

Thank you Janet!! and yes, I did get that email-DUH -Me! Thank you for the comments! xo

Jackie PN said...

Bibiana- so glad you stopped in ! Thank you!

Jackie PN said...

Thanks Ruth! Totally love those Silks!

Jackie PN said...

Thank you Karla! xxhugs

Jackie PN said...

Nichola -thank you for stopping by and so glad you liked!

Jackie PN said...

Darlene, you are too too funny girlfriend! When you finally make it here to visit- we'll go shopping in my storage barn and I'll load you up with "The Hoarder's Special"!!! teehee

Renee said...

Love this, Jackie! The bees on the front are really cool.

Unknown said...

Love it Jackie and I'm sure Riley did too, what a great idea! See a girl after my own heart, I would hang onto something like that too!
Hugs, Marilou

Annette said...

Love it girl all the steps and stencils and bees. Nope no hoarder at all just a saver of art for wonderful projects. Love it. xoxox

Becky said...

Wonderful transformation, Jackie! What a cool idea and love "the girls!"

Bev said...

Fabulous how you grunged it up and made it manly lol well I like this way better anyway cause I'm a grungy kinda gal ....so hope the girls re thriving and Chum is still guarding them lol

Jackie PN said...

Becky- thanks so much! and so glad you mentioned the girls! They are becoming quite the popular chick click! heehee

Julie Lee said...

A fabulous idea for Mother Earth day! Great recycling and a really useful project! It looks so beautiful and really reflects the natural world. Julie Ann xxx

Deann said...

Oh bravo Jackie your wonderful talent has made all that hoarding and talking to yourself well worth it...what a beautiful treasure.

Marjie Kemper said...

That's fantastic - what a gorgeous transformation and wonderful Earth Day refurbishing.

Jackie PN said...

Wows- Deann and Marjie- thank you for your wonderful comments!