Monday, April 21, 2014

I feel a song here ...100BlueSprucePineTrees,10 American Cranberry,15 assorted Blueberry...

      Did you ever have one of those weekends that you just wanted to get everything done?  Nope? Me either, but my husband did! 

      It started on Thursday, when we picked up our order from the county Soil and Conservation Department~ 100 Colorado Blue Spruce trees , 10 American Cranberry, 5 Jersey Blueberry, and 10 Blue Crop Blueberry. After gathering all the planting & growing info we found for the new additions to our "hobby farm",we sat down and plotted the land! (there's a joke here somewhere)

    Friday morning- was not as nice as the weatherman said, Imagine that! So, a little brisk but well dressed for it, out we went into the field to begin our day. 
First tree of the day going in and Chum wants to help Daddy plant it!
    We worked steadily along and got the first 50 done in 2 hours, then broke for lunch...almost wish I hadn't because once I stopped-   I did not want to go back! waaaaa

       Yup still feeling playful here, but by the end of the 100- I was ready for a soak in the tub! My poor paws and buttcheeks! Ouch!(sorry I had to share that- but that's what hurt the most-info for those of you thinking you want to do this-think again!teehee)
      Saturday is still mostly a blurr...more raking and more whining about how sore I was... waa waa waaa! We did also got a spot tilled up and the SugarSnap Peas planted. And then Hub cooked dinner...
  
and Chum guarded it!

   Finally in the evening, I got a bit of sketching in-cramped paws and all!

                           Sunday morning...this is what I woke to...

      You can hear all of the wonderful birds singing their morning songs,along with the Canadian Geese waking up and a Pileated Woodpecker drilling for breakfast. My sound quality is not that great - maybe wind?-this is my first video,so suggestions are welcome!
                                 Look who else was out !
 Hey- isn't he supposed to be hiding eggs or something? heehee
      The photo on the right is a male Wood Duck which we are so excited about! Hubby built and put two nesting boxes up this winter, and now we have two couples visiting the pond daily!  We have yet to see them go in or out of the boxes, but they are there on the pond every morning and evening- just gorgeous birds!!

       A little more work Sunday afternoon, and we got the blueberries,and cranberries planted and well as the unruly grapes trimmed and trellised, and replanted our soft-needle pine and lilac- that does it for the trees- Phew! 


                                              The girls...

     I'll be back tomorrow to show and tell about their first day in their playyard! teeheehee
       and for myself...I'm going to spend some playtime in my playyard/artstudio today! ")

27 comments:

Janet Ghio said...

Oh my-you are a glutton for punishment--how do you do it? My back would be killing me--I had to give up gardening a few years ago because of it--lucky you that you have a good strong body! Look how big the girls have gotten!! They grow quickly. I see you had a good supervisor in Chum. want to see a better close up of that drawing you are working on!!

Jackie PN said...

Janet, you are too funny- it's my hub that whips me along- do you think I would be crazy enough to do this on my own??? Probably! teehee
thanks for stopping xoxo

Lisa said...

Yikes. You make my back ache just READING about it, LOL. But how beautiful will your land be in a few years? (more beautiful!)

Unknown said...

That's a great view, I live in the middle of a city, so I can only long for green most of the time, envy you Jackie!

Sarah (wonderstrumpet) said...

Holy cow! My husband always decides we need to dig and plant stuff on MOTHER'S DAY. He is super awesome like that.

I can't wait to see pictures of everything all growing and lovely! :D

Darlene K Campbell said...

I always look forward to these "country time" posts. Those trees were of a good size weren't they? I planted 2 pine trees several years ago and my hubby complains as if I planted 100. I'm going to have to have Riley talk to Gary. Of course, we don't have the space you do.
The sketch looks quite nice. I'm with Janet on wanting to see more of that.
PS: Chum stole the show.

Karla B said...

This is amazing Jackie!

Bren Haas said...

The birds are super happy you planted all those pines! What a great way to spend a spring day. ❋ Bren

ann said...

Oh Jackie you have been busy. Loved the sound of all the birds and it looks like you have a very large property.

Bev said...

Just woke up to this post and you wore me out lol 2 busy bees and the site leader lol go Chummy..what a great effort ,now you got me thinking blueberry pie hehe
the video wouldn't show on my IPad though and great sketch of Johnny ,lovely way to finish the day ...

Julie Lee said...

So interesting to hear about your country life. We love to walk in the country but we have a tiny garden with a pear tree, a greengage and an apple tree and a few blackberry bushes. England is such a small island it's not long before you're out of the town and into the fields, though. I can't imagine what it must be like to live in the States so it's fascinating to see your video. Thank you for sharing. I'm glad I found you too! Julie Ann xxx

Jackie PN said...

Lisa, surprisingly my back did not hurt- but ohhh the buttcheeks did!

Jackie PN said...

Ruth, I am always happy to share my green with you!

Jackie PN said...

Oh Sarah! Now, I too am excited to see what you get to do for Mother's Day! teehee!
I will post pictures of the yard in progress...wait till you see the gardens!

Jackie PN said...

Darlene, Chum tries his best to be the center of attention!

Jackie PN said...

Ann, 13 acres with a pond- yes, very large! And I wish I could record those birds every morning for you all- they are the best to wake up too!

Jackie PN said...

Julie Ann, I am so happy that you enjoyed the view and video- isn't it funny how far we are from one another but now can by computer share so much?! Wonderful indeed!xoxo

Jackie PN said...

Bren, I bet Mother Earth is happy today too! hugs

Jackie PN said...

Go to bed Bev!! haha Yup- I was wore out too! xoxo Chum sends kisses

Deann said...

Keep up the great work you are making a masterpiece...gardens are a pain in the *** but they are so worth it. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Wow Jackie, a wonderful bit of property being tended my a loving couple, it can only flourish. Even though it is hard work it will be so worth it. Enjoy the journey ! I think you should bulid a garden area where you can sketch and be surrounded with beautiful flowers and plants too. A outdoir place to relax when the work is done.
Hugs and take care of that sore tush, Marilou xoxo

Unknown said...

what a fabulous piece of property, lots of work and reward!

Jackie PN said...

Thank you so much for coming by and commenting Deann, Marilou and Aubrey! Yup, definitely a pain in the tush! And there truly is nothing more rewarding than standing back and admiring the beauty of the landscape and what we have helped to give back!

Jackie PN said...

You all can't know how much it means to me that you stop by and visit!
I look forward to sharing the WHOLE garden series with you all this summer! And truly wish you lived closer so I could share our bounty with you! hugs to you all!

Annette said...

Oh this is going to be beautiful when they are grown some. What a project and Hubby and Chum helping along. Probably Hubby helped more than Chum. I am so glad you took pics then later you can see how much and fast they grow. The girls are growing up and love the blog my dear. xoxo

Jackie PN said...

Thank you Annette my dear! We picked these trees as they are a bit faster growing then others, plus they smell soooo good and are just so beautiful!!

Karenliz Henderson said...

WOW I only plant flowers around mother's day and I thought that was a lot. I can't wait to see how your farm looks during the summer! Update on shoulder - cortizone shot on friday but can take up to 3 weeks to work if at all. Will keep you posted.