Saturday, March 22, 2014

Welcome New Peeps!

        ...just had to share...because I am so tickled about our new additions to our family!



  These first two photos are on our way home. The red heads are the females-Hens- and the blue head is the male-aka-Rooster-aka-keeper of the coop! The beautiful striped chickie is a Guinea hen- wonderful for announcing predators and dining on fleas and ticks!!
  The little brown gal with no stripes is an Americana- lays colored eggs in blue, pink and green- Our very own Easter bunny chick!
  At 3 days old, they sure know their way around the food and drink!  and have no problem climbing over and in front of others to get to it!! heehee

    so, we have 6 Barred Plymouth Rock hens, 3 Guinea hens,  1 Barred Plymouth Rock Rooster, and 1 Americana hen. Sounds like a catchy tune starting here... teehee
The Turkeys we were supposed to pick up never hatched do to it being so cold...so instead of waiting on the next laying...we decided to enjoy the wild turkeys we have in the yard!

Next task:
  Teaching Chum that these girls are not for eating!! 

     thanks for peeping in-(just had to say that!)more art tomorrow!


16 comments:

Janet Ghio said...

it was great to get a "peep" of the chickens! (groan). I want to know what they will look like when they are groan (!) up. You will have good models for sketching! I just saw that watercolor you made when you were four. Isn't that great. Gets me to thinking about a drawing I have of cardinals that I made about that age. Will have to go look for it.

Unknown said...

Oh I SO WANT chickens - it is my dream to convert our backyard swing set into a chicken coop. You are my heroine!

Bev said...

Oh the chicks have arrived now you you will be entertained and yes Chum will be like a mother hen I think
Coloured eggs how cool yes Spring has sprung,have fun..

Jackie PN said...

Oh my gosh! Janet!! You cluck me up! or crack!!(OW don't let the girls hear that!) I love the birds you have been doing- soo beautiful!Make sure to post when you find the drawing!

Jackie PN said...

Jessica, I want to see that coop that you make! I'm sure it will be totally fab! And until you get your own chickens...you are welcome upstate to "Peep" in on ours!!! ")

Jackie PN said...

Hello Bev dear, I owe you an email, and I have not forgotten! Thanks for checking in...Chum is slow getting used the chicks,he tried to eat one the other day! AGH! had to put him in timeout!! Retraining here... :)

Sugar Lump Studios said...

Oh they are so cute! I love the coloring in their feathers too! Good luck with your new additions!

Darlene K Campbell said...

That's exactly what I was thinking...does Chumb think these are his toys? or Dinner?
Wish I could have chickens. How are you going to get fresh eggs to me?

Jackie PN said...

thank you Nancy for stopping by! they are adorable and getting bigger everyday- some already are growing feathers!

Jackie PN said...

that's it Darlene, you and Gary will just have to live closer!! heehee xoxo

Terri said...

Hello Jackie, Oh I am soooo jealous! I also want chickens! lol!
How fascinating all the different chicks and their benefits. I have heard that some will actually follow you around all day.
Best wishes on your new brood : )
Hugs,
Terri

Cecilia said...

These are SO cute and the guinea fowl chicks are beautiful!

Jackie PN said...

Hi Terri! Yes, I have also heard that about the chickens following- I think it will be most fun!! And to have our own organic eggs! Such a wonderful gift from nature! ")

Jackie PN said...

Cecilia, You cannot imagine how big they are already! Especially the Guinea fowl! And oh how beautiful they truly are-agreed! ") thanks for peeping in!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, how cute are these ... I imagine they make their own sweet music too!!! :)

Jackie PN said...

Oh Eleni- do they ever! heehee