Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Distressed Glitter Shrine ~ St. Catherine of Bologna

Compendium Of Curiosities3 Challenge ~ 2~ Distress Glitter

Here we are at the second challenge for CC3C. This time the challenge is using Tim Holtz's Distressed Glitter
Here is my offering this week....
  Saint Catherine of Bologna is the patron saint of Artists- so I thought it only fitting that she should have a shrine in her honor at my work table in my studio!


   I started out using a masonite scalloped shelf shrine and chipboard fancy embellishment . For the scalloped shrine, first I painted along the edges with Stewart Gill Byzantia- Agean , then applied 
Distress Glitter ~Stormy Sky. I did the same on the fancy embellishment. 
 Next I painted in the rest of the scalloped shrine with  Wendy Vecchi's Gold Embossing Paste. 
After heating everything and distressing to my liking- I added all sorts of  Bits and Bobs- vintage jewelry pieces,homemade palette and paintbrush, bingo number, vintage rosary chain, Idea-ology Philosophy Tags from Tim Holtz , other items and a pen nib with chicken feathers. DISCLAIMER: (none of my girls were not hurt during the gathering of the feathers) teehee
Left side close-up
Right side- close-up
                                                                                                                                                                          


Of the several pics found on Google- this I felt was the most pleasing of St.Catherine












 Now for a bit of history....
 According to what I have read, Catherine was born into a very wealthy family but earlier in her youth she decided to leave that world behind and joined an order of lay women who followed the teachings of St Francis (my favorite Saint). 
Eventually a small group of these women left to join the Poor Clares, founded by St. Francis and St. Clare of Assisi.
Catherine continued in her artistic pursuits, playing the viola , painting religious pictures (her painting of St. Ursula hangs today in a gallery in Venice), and writing spiritual guides and poetry.
 Even though I read many articles, I was not able to find where she was eventually made the patron saint of artists- but it's fun to have one! 

        Below is where I am linking up with Linda Ledbetter
                                        #79
                 http://lindaledbetter.com/cc3challenge

21 comments:

Retro Cafe' Art Gallery said...

This is gorgeous Jackie! I love what you did with your Scalloped Shrine! The colors are awesome! xo

Judy Shea said...

This is just BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Nichola said...

Absolutely wonderful!

Candy C said...

Jackie...your shrine is awesome! I love the colors! Teal is one of my all time favorites! This is such a great idea and great use of Tim's Philsophy tags as well as his glitter. Thanks for sharing with us at CC3C. <3 Candy

Janet Ghio said...

She is quite fabulous!!

ann said...

I so love this, you have added so much gorgeous detail, Beautiful xoxo

Diana d darden said...

jackie...this is so wonderful...

Joseph Cuccurullo said...

Nice job thank you for finding a saint I can relate to. I'll need to get a photo and hand it up where I work.

Cecilia said...

This is beautiful and I certainly learned something -- I never knew there was any saint named as patron of artists! I never knew about this particular saint Catherine, either. You piqued my curiosity, so I looked it up -- to learn that there are 4 saints by this name (with slightly different spellings.) You've widened my world and shown us a fantastic work of art!

Bev said...

Oh love your St.Catherine ,an iconic tryptic is perfect for her to be displayed...St.Francis is my fav too being such an animal lover and St, Anthony too cause I'm always loosing stuff hehe ...love the disclaimer made me giggle lol

Darlene K Campbell said...

Hey Jackie, Catherine was my confirmation name. This is divine. I love the idea of this shrine in your art studio to honor and bless your work. Very nice!

Sarah (wonderstrumpet) said...

She is fantastic!!

Unknown said...

Jackie I loved the soft distress glittered edge and all the embellishments on your shrine.

johanna said...

this shrine is just ADORABLE!!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

What a cool tribute shrine! Love the focal image, and your glittered border is perfect! The charms really make this special! Thank you so much for playing along with us at CC3Challenge!!!

Karla B said...

This is very beautiful, my friend!

Annette Green said...

What a great shrine and use of Distress Glitter for your accents. Thanks for the history lesson too. :)

Anonymous said...

Woohoo, this is amazing.....I rarely play like this but you have done a marvelous job. xox

Deann said...

What absolutely wonderful triptych.

Julie Lee said...

Sorry, I've been so long in commenting on this beautiful creation. I've not been well so I've been having to 'catch up' with my favourite artists' blogs. I love this. I especially like that beautiful blue stone above St Catherine's head. There is something so pure and crystalline about it. This is a lovely, lovely shrine and it will grace your art space. Julie Ann xxx

Jackie PN said...

Wow! Everyone thank you all soooo very much for all the awesome thoughts , comments, and compliments!! You all rock! ")