Friday, May 2, 2014

Happy May Day- flowers of the rarest...

                 Spring has arrived, and with it, green grass, bees buzzing and flowers...
   In honor of May Day, May 1st, I created this piece, inspired by the the bees and flowers in my yard! 
                                                                      

   For the substrate I used a piece from Wendy Vecchi's Studio490 Art Parts collection. The center is painted in with Americana Chalkboard paint.  I like the finish of this paint and the way it goes on-so smooth. The first layers of paint on the swirly-q's (my own description)are with Golden heavy body acrylic-Titan Buff and Golden Fluid Iridescent Bright Gold(Fine).
    Next came the stencil layers; all of which are Crafter's Workshop. Which came first?heehee First came the Chickenwire (aka-honeycomb to me) This was applied with Paper Artsy Fresco Finish Chalk Acrylics Zesty Zing.
  The next stencil used was Echos and this was applied with Paper Artsy's Vintage Lace, Rose  and Folk Art Violet Pansy.  I like to move my stencils around to get complete flowers where there otherwise may not have been one.
The final stencil layer is Cornflowers. As I mentioned above, I moved this stencil around to put the flowers where they are most pleasing- to me!



Colors used here are Paper Artsy Rose, London Bus, Zesty Zing,Smoked Paprika,Vintage Lace and Golden Fluid Naphthol Red Light pounced in with a makeup sponge-sometimes drying between layers, so not to blend too much.

  Finally I painted with a detail brush around some parts of the flowers and the stamens.I also picked some of the colors off the table and lightly brushed over the swirly-q's.
  The last, to do was edge the top with some of the Violet Pansy, and apply a fine glaze of the Violet Pansy and Paper Artsy Satin Glaze which I brushed over the entire piece.
                                     The painting stand used? 
                      Scrabble tile holder-clever- huh?! heehee
  Here's hoping for blooms of the rarest in your garden and your day filled with sunshine! ")

                                                   

12 comments:

Janet Ghio said...

I love that cornflower stencil and your piece is wonderful!

Unknown said...

Love this - brilliant stencil layering and color!

Nichola said...

Lovely piece! It's so vibrant :)

Unknown said...

Jackie I love your flowers, they look beautiful especially on that black chalkboard finishing. These are amazing may flowers!

Bren Haas said...

this is so beautiful ... Thank you for sharing your talent with us. I enjoy your art Jackie and look forward to what you will share next.

Bren

Darlene K Campbell said...

Oh my goodness, when I first looked at this I thought you had painstakingly hand cut all those squirly Q's and if you had I was going to have to come over and rescue you, as you have surely gone mad. Whew!
This composition is awesome and I now have to buy two more kinds of paint-the chalky stuff you used. Every Friday you astound me with your talent and every Friday I see a list of art supplies I've never tried.
Cheers-Darlene

Bev said...

Wow a wonderful work Jackie and the colours rock,somehow I first thought they were flames till I really looked and read your process..the cornflower stencil is a winner it's on my list now lol hugz Bev

Jackie PN said...

Ladies- Your comments, words , thoughts all make my heart sing!! Thank you ever so much for visiting and leaving me messages! ")

Martina said...

It`s a JOY to visit you and your art work and fabulous blog! You have such a wonderful way of creating art that I just love! Keeps me returning to see what you will do next.
Hugs MARTINA

Renee said...

Amazing and vibrant! Love it.

Julie Lee said...

Glorious work! I love all that stencil layering - a feast for the eyes! Julie Ann xxx

Anonymous said...

Happy flower day has been celebrated for the sentiments for the humans. The judgment of the product is implemented for the carrying factors for the smooth life of the humans.